Wine recommendation

This is a discussion on Wine recommendation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We're forced to break with a lot of traditions for the holidays this year. Coming from a tea-totaling Baptist family, there was never alcohol at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Wine recommendation

VIP Member

Wine recommendation

We're forced to break with a lot of traditions for the holidays this year. Coming from a tea-totaling Baptist family, there was never alcohol at the table. However, this year, I'm going to have some white wine at our Thanksgiving meal. White wine with turkey is just yum.

The problem is that I don't know squat about wine. I'm looking for something very light on the pallet. Somewhere between dry and fruity, and something reasonably priced that's easily available that I can find in a liquor/grocery store.

Okay you winos - I know you're out there. What's the good, cheap stuff?

2. Remove Ads

A good riesling cant be beat for fish or fowl.And aruond $12 a bottle a good deal for most.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    I love White Zinfendal (it's light pink but they call it white). Most vineyards sell it...a good bottle is only around $10-$12.

It's light and fruity, slightly sweet and one that most people like, even those who don't ordinarly drink wine.

I like everything wine...from dry to sweet.

Oh, if you want a good dessert wine, get a "Niagara" wine. It's awesome! If you can find "Ice Wine", get that. It's very sweet and grape-y. It's expensive, but worth it.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I suggest that between now and then you taste test 15-20 bottles to find out what you like best. That will make the time between now and then pass.

Oh, avoid the stuff in the box with the pour spout. Usually not so good. Of course, after you have polished off the aforementioned 15-20 bottles, you won't care what the stuff in the box tastes like.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Mad Dog 20/20
    lionround, Sister, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

I like wine but not an expert however I will give you my "suggestions" as to what to serve.

A good quality Chardonnay is fine. Somewhere between sweet and dry. The dryness tends to leave a dry feeling on the palate. It's just sweet enough to hold that down but not give you a sugar coma sweetness.

Riesling is a good white to serve. It is a German type wine and I like it myself. Blue Nun or Leibfraumilch brands are good.

Zinfandel is sort of a cross between white and red and it is a good choice for just about anything.

All wines start out white. When the grapes are pressed, the juice is generally clear. They put the grape skins back it the juice so that the tannic acid in the skins will colour it red.

Hope that helps you.
    WHEC724 and lionround like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Mad Dog 20/20
    When I was in college, I'd always bring a bottle of that to a party, set it down and forget about it. Sure enough, some poor schlep would be stupid enough to drink it. I considered it my contribution to curing them of any potential alcoholism.

NONAME762 and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Alot of your nice tasting sweeter wines are the Rieslings & Muscato you cannot go wrong with these two choices .
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I would suggest that you NOT think the more it cost the better it is! For a nice white that is fruity, not dry and not to sweet I would recommend my favorite wine," Chateau St. Michelle Riesling", around $10.00 a bottle and everyone will like it. If you want a sweet wine try "Hogue Cellars Late Harvest Riesling" at the same price point. If you want it a little on the dry side try a Chardonnay by "Gruet" still in the same price range. These are all nationally available wines and should be easy to find at a retailer near you.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Ripple or Boone's Farm. Oh, I forgot this isn't the 70's and I am not in college.

Never mind.

Whatever you decide on buy it quick. Wine will be increasing substantially in price, because of a bad growing year or two.

Shortages reminiscent of the recent ammo shortage.LOL
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

If you can find a piesporter reisling from the Naha region in Germany, those are excellent wines. I've actually found some here in OK which shocked me.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Okay, I'm thinking about a riesling (never tried one before, but sounds like what I like), a chardonnay, and I'll get some soda pop (Zinfandel) because I remembered that my MIL likes that (thanks JL).

If there's any left over, we can polish if off the next night after taking my FIL out to our range for the day.

Thanks all.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Chateau Ste. Michele also has a nice Prinot Gris (griigio) that is drier.

WHEC if you have a Total Wines near you, they have very knowledgable employees. I know there is one in the Harbison area of Columbia if that trip is possible.
    WHEC724 likes this.

I'm no expert but my wife drins enough to float a battleship around. She suggests a Chardonay or Reisling as Pinot said she agrees highly on the Chateua Michelle. for around 10 bucks. Also if you want to go cheap and not bad all check out Crane Lake around 5 bucks and pretty goos try it you may be surprised

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Ah yes, Mad Dog, Boone's Farm and Ripple. When I was much younger I had a neighbor who had been in prison and made his own apple wine. In the sink not the bathtub. That stuff was pretty stout.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links