Car trouble, need help :)

This is a discussion on Car trouble, need help :) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So the girlfriend was just about to get onto the highway and suddenly the accelerator decides its going to stop working. More specifically there was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Car trouble, need help :)

So the girlfriend was just about to get onto the highway and suddenly the accelerator decides its going to stop working. More specifically there was no pull but the engine would still rev. I had her pull over as she just stopped and wasn't doing anything but panic. Restarting the car and me driving seemed to solve it. That's about the only info I got because I wasn't driving when it happened.

So any ideas?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Welcome to the computer-controlled transmission age? Or else she bumped it out of gear.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    year, make and model ? newer automatic i'm guessing?

sound like the transmission failed to engage a new gear after releasing the previous one.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Throttle linkage or throttle cable could have gone kaflooyee.
    -----------

Check tranny fluid level. Could be very low-adding fluid might solve the problem.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Drive by wire.. Gotta love it. If its a newer model care have the Puter checked on it. If its a chevy check the radio..Lots of controls in the radio on the chevy.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sorry was driving back. 2004 camery LE. Hoping not a transmission problem.

190000 miles :(

Vapor Lock
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Sorry was driving back. 2004 camery LE. Hoping not a transmission problem.

190000 miles :(
    auto or manual?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Auto

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Throttle linkage or throttle cable could have gone kaflooyee.
    -----------
    Check tranny fluid level. Could be very low-adding fluid might solve the problem.
    the engine revs so the linkage is good.

checking ATF level is standard procedure and good advice.

Okay, even though the Camry has had throttle body and pedal issues, I don't think that is your problem. If the engine revved when pressing on the pedal then that system is fine. If there hasn't been any tranny issues lately, then most likely the console shifter got knocked into neutral. In the panicked state she was in, it was probably overlooked. Also with that many miles the shifter is getting worn and might have some slop in it and might not have been all the way in drive and bumps in the road may have jarred it loose. I saw it at the dealership I worked at a few times.

it could be operator error, can you reproduce what happened?

in an auto the torque converter connect the engine and the trans. check the fluid and preform a transmission stall test. HowStuffWorks "How to test a Torque Converter"

if you have code scanner handy you can hook it up and see if there are any transmission codes.

a dirty filter can also prevent the valves from working and cause the tans to not engage the clutch packs. you can change the fluid and filter and see of that helps, do not flush an old trans, you can do more harm then good.

Thanks guys. Just found out pep boys does a free diagnostics and evaluation so if I can I will take it to them and mention some of these things so it sounds like I know what I'm talking about:)

good luck, remote diagnostic only goes so far.
    oldskeetshooter likes this.

I had something similar happen not too long ago. In my case, the transmission was grinding itself up due to a pump failure; the computer figured out something was wrong and cut the transmission after a certain running time. Starting it up again would enable me to get it a little further, as the computer reset, so I was able to nurse it to a shop. Damage done at that point.

Hopefully your problem is less serious...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links