Rut Row - Page 2

Rut Row

This is a discussion on Rut Row within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by chiefjason To paraphrase an old funny, "When the reporter asked the coach about the execution of his team he said he was ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Rut Row

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    To paraphrase an old funny, "When the reporter asked the coach about the execution of his team he said he was all for it."

It's like one up north that some town insisted on building. Everyone was for it. Put it up, everyone complained about the sound it made when the wind blew. First they restricted the times it could be used, then they just quit using it. Some people don't think things through.

Speaking of windmills, it seems high wind is not good for them either.
    You know a lot of gun control people say, in regards to magazine capacity, "we can't not do what's right for the convenience of gun owners", stupid, right? So now that people opposed to wind turbines will complain about things like it blocks the scenery or it makes too much noise. Sounds to me that since people can't argue that wind energy is bad, because that's like saying the earth is flat, they have to complain about convenience. They certainly need something to complain about, no matter how stupid they sound
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    As long as Joe Walsh is protected. The rest, we could all do without.

I don't know, seems unimportant. Wind power is still a good thing and Eagles dying still sucks. The fine is to ensure that there's some effort to fix the problem, which doesn't seem like it would take all that much effort. Calling it acceptable collateral damage is like saying you don't mind having kids with three ears, because before that meltdown the nuclear plant was doing a lot of good
    OK...what's the answer? I have no problem with wind power companies as long as they aren't fronts for campaign donations and billions of tax dollars aren't pumped into them, only to have them fail and close down.

How do you keep Eagles from killing themselves by flying into windmills?

I'll await your answer with anticipation.
    gatorbait51, Sister and d2jlking like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Give the company some bailout money for legal expenses. Then they can be like Solyndra.
    gatorbait51, msgt/ret and Sister like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

There is and always will be an "environmental impact" on many energy sources we humans have developed. We've dammed up rivers to create huge lakes to supply the hydroelectric generators a steady supply of water. The dam wreaks havoc on the river and it's environment.

Coal or other fossil fueled power plants chuck out sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide and other stuff in massive quantities that eventually could have an impact on the environment. Not advocating the "global warming" things that have been said about these plants, but they do emit toxic waste no doubt about it.

Nuclear power is extremely dangerous if something happens to the reactor. The massive earthquake in Japan that damaged their plant recently and also Chernobyl in the Ukraine and Three Mile Island in the U.S. are other examples of how things can go extremely bad with Nuclear energy.

So, what IS the answer? Nobody really knows. Perhaps it could be Solar power. I don't know the "environmental impact" the solar panels could have or if they are a good source of energy. Until we come up with the magic way, something in our environment will suffer, it's simply the nature of the beast.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    True story:

My dad used to be GM of advanced energy (solar, nuke, wind, anything non-conventional) for GE. They made one the first prototypes for wind turbines out in California. On presentation day, of course there was no wind (big drawback to wind turbines), yet when all the dignitaries arrived, the turbine started to slowly turn. Surely some assumed that it must be very responsive to the slightest breeze.

It turns out that one of my dad's engineers had climbed up into the hub and spun it manually.

I later applied that same ingenuity to software demos during my career... and I wonder why so many people hate me?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    This Administration and New Demokratik Party won't be happy until we're all living in hovels, reading copies of Das Kapital, and getting abortions on demand.
    Getting abortions on their demand. Wind mills were abandoned as energy sources for a reason , NIMBY also is a problem.

You are correct, the peasants in hovels while our Leftist betters care for us at gunpoint.
    WHEC724 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Wow , i am going to hide in the Hotel California

I find it is more fun to hide in the Hotel New Hampshire.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    OK...what's the answer? I have no problem with wind power companies as long as they aren't fronts for campaign donations and billions of tax dollars aren't pumped into them, only to have them fail and close down.

The same way you prevent people from sticking their hands into a regular house fan.

You build a giant "screen" over the blades that prevents eagles from flying into them. Of course the eagles just break their neck when they fly into the screen.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

The Liberal solution would be simple. Just tell the Eagles to stop flying into the windmills as it is bad for them.

It works with children. Right ??
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    The Liberal solution would be simple. Just tell the Eagles to stop flying into the windmills as it is bad for them.

It works with children. Right ??

Children fly into windmills!?
    WHEC724, blitzburgh and Sister like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I didn't say I had some overnight solution. Just that those fines behoove those companies to come up with a solution. After looking into it there are 2 things causing the deaths, which number about half a million birds and 10,000 bats. So actually it is pretty important. It's the fact that there was no research into migratory bird patterns before locations were chosen and that the older models were built with lattice structures that make ideal perches . Newer models and better locations have already cut the statistics by half on some wind farms. The one thing I would say is that if the government is going to fine companies, that money should be used as part of finding solutions as well.

http://www.livescience.com/31995-how...ill-birds.html

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I find it is more fun to hide in the Hotel New Hampshire.
    Great contributions to the thread. I'm sure it sounded clever in your head, but good jokes still have to make sense.

VIP Member
    I didn't say I had some overnight solution. Just that those fines behoove those companies to come up with a solution. After looking into it there are 2 things causing the deaths, which number about half a million birds and 10,000 bats. So actually it is pretty important. It's the fact that there was no research into migratory bird patterns before locations were chosen and that the older models were built with lattice structures that make ideal perches . Newer models and better locations have already cut the statistics by half on some wind farms. The one thing I would say is that if the government is going to fine companies, that money should be used as part of finding solutions as well.

How Do Wind Turbines Kill Birds | Wind Farms Eagles | LiveScience

People have to understand that there are consequences to everything. IF you want wind power, there are certain things that will have to be accepted...like the occasional bird death. Personally, I'll take the birds over wind turbines any day.

However, my whole point of the thread is that the Administration wants it both ways and this is what happens when you have an agenda. Beholden to the Wind/Solar companies and beholden to the Environmentalists. What to do...what to do...

Lies and subterfuge always end up badly.

Anyone want to bet on how long this company has before it files bankruptcy?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

You know a lot of gun control people say, in regards to magazine capacity, "we can't not do what's right for the convenience of gun owners", stupid, right? So now that people opposed to wind turbines will complain about things like it blocks the scenery or it makes too much noise. Sounds to me that since people can't argue that wind energy is bad, because that's like saying the earth is flat, they have to complain about convenience. They certainly need something to complain about, no matter how stupid they sound
    I'll gladly make an argument that wind power is bad. It's ridiculously inefficient and unreliable compared to fossil fuels and nuclear. It would never have come to be, except that federal officials have for decades been systematically driving up the cost of those while providing subsidies for wind, until an illusion of cost-effectiveness exists. The motivation for pursuing it is not sound economics or science, it's a utopian fantasy. It represents the triumph of wishful thinking over reality, and as such is symptomatic of the corruption of human intellect and the weakening of the country in general.
    Jeanlouise, WHEC724 and Sister like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

People have to understand that there are consequences to everything. IF you want wind power, there are certain things that will have to be accepted...like the occasional bird death. Personally, I'll take the birds over wind turbines any day.

However, my whole point of the thread is that the Administration wants it both ways and this is what happens when you have an agenda. Beholden to the Wind/Solar companies and beholden to the Environmentalists. What to do...what to do...

Lies and subterfuge always end up badly.

Anyone want to bet on how long this company has before it files bankruptcy?

I can agree with everything, except that it has to be accepted. I'd choose the birds too, but I still think its worth putting effort into not having to accept one over the other. And maybe in the meantime some birds die, and the government monitors the effort without impeding it with fines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links