Working security at the Big Reno Gun Show >:-|

This is a discussion on Working security at the Big Reno Gun Show >:-| within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was my worst experience ever, Never in my life have I experienced such rude people. I even had a vendor who had been drinking since ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Linny
  • 2 Post By IronMike
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By cn262

Thread: Working security at the Big Reno Gun Show >:-|

Was my worst experience ever,
    Never in my life have I experienced such rude people. I even had a vendor who had been drinking since 8am try to fight me in the middle of the show for kindly asking him to please go out the exit door instead of the entrance to control the traffic flow. He literally got an inch from my face drill instructor style. Oh how I wish he could have touched me. Unfortunately I had my big boy pants on so I had to go tell my site supervisor. Then when my supervisor went to talk to him he got aggressive with him claiming that I touched him. Ultimately they told him he was going to barred from vending at future shows (Which is an expensive show to get in). He ultimately sat at his booth and was real pouty the rest of the day. I don't have problem with people drinking a little bit at these shows, but if you know you're going to get beligerant, maybe you should tone down a little.
    Then I had a deputy give me a bunch of crap because he didn't check the firearms he was bringing into the show. My grandpa was an LEO so I respect them, but this guy obviously thought that LEO's made him exempt from the show policy. I even had one guy throw his bag at me for asking him politely to show me the inside (we're big on stealing). He literally threw the bag at me while saying on his phone call, "Hold on. This guy is HASSLING me." Ugh. Anyways needless to say I was taken aback at the rudeness and disrespect to a lot of the guards at the show. An older airborne vet who was a guard told me it was probably because I looked young (I'm 22), but still every show I go to I always show the security, vendors, and everybody respect and understand that the show rules are the show rules. Anyways
    /rant
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

You will have more fun at the flower show next month.
    Secret Spuk and gatorbait51 like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    I admire your efforts. The only way I would stand at the door of a gun show would be if I were hosting it, and wanted to keep track of my money.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Having bounced and bar-tended my way through college, I came to despise crowd management. You only notice the jerks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Life in general is a bit like a bell curve. The majority of people are in the middle - you interact all the time without issue and it's not that memorable. The are a few genuinely nice, considerate, and helpful people on one tail of the curve, and rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful and dishonest people on the other end of the curve. You tend to remember the people on either tail just because they are different. I sell enterprise software and it really isn't much different (except for the drinking). People are people - good, bad or indifferent.

IMO, life is far to short to worry about the harmless but negative interactions with the bad ones.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I think you need to consider a change of employment.
    Do you work for the Grand Sierra or do you work for the promoters?
    Could you cite a Nevada law that allows you to inspect bags?
    What is your role as security? Theft prevention? crowd control? Do you have a Nevada work card to work as a security expert? Or are you wearing a shirt that says security defined by the shows management? \

Just interested.

Wait till the wine tasting show ! Whoppee

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Unless you can cite a law that would differentiate between the two that would not matter. Under NRS648, NAC648 and NRS207.200 he qualifies effectively as the owner and as such can set or enforce the terms for or deny entry.
    This goes back to basic property rights. Unless you can cite a law that prohibits the search it is legal. A simple Fourth Amendment argument would not suffice per Radkus v. State, 90 Nev. 406 (1974) which says that the Fourth Amendment does not apply to private citizens, hotel security guards, department store security, as long as they are not acting as agents of governmental police. Also, a bag search as a condition of entry even to a public venue is considered an administrative search per SCOTUS.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    You will have more fun at the flower show next month.
    Don't bet on it.

-----Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching. I am very thankful to be retired and not have to deal with the public anymore!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    What is your role as security? Theft prevention? crowd control? Do you have a Nevada work card to work as a security expert? Or are you wearing a shirt that says security defined by the shows management? \

Just interested.
    jeez

VIP Member
    They do a bag search to get into Disney World too. Pretty common nowadays.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Links