How Well Is Knockout Known ?

This is a discussion on How Well Is Knockout Known ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There was an article in a local newspaper giving very little details about an attempted robbery that sounded to me like a knockout situation. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How Well Is Knockout Known ?

How Well Is Knockout Known ?

There was an article in a local newspaper giving very little details about an attempted robbery that sounded to me like a knockout situation. The city is a small one but does have a good deal of crime. I wrote to the editors with my opinion of what could have happened based on what I read, and cautioned the readers that this sort of thing is happening all over the country, and to be aware. I have yet to hear back one way or another.

Alleged attempted robbery in city - SunGazette.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Williamsport-Sun Gazette

2. Remove Ads

I remember hearing about the knockout game a few years ago as it was happening in St. Louis and E. St. Louis. I believe there were even a few threads here bringing attention to it. It's puzzling to me how the mainstream has only discovered it the last two weeks.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's been around for years. As the media is splashing it all over the news, no doubt any who hadn't known of it do now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    From what I've heard...the "Knock out Game" differs from other crime is that the game is to knock out someone, not rob them.

It's a hit and run. It sounds as if that's what happened in this case since no money was taken.

Until recently, I had never heard of the Knock Out game.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Apparently not as well known as it should be.

Saw where some rappers (white guys) made a comment on one of the music awards shows regarding the Trayvon Martin thing, but not a word about the knockout game.

I suspect their motivation was to suck up to their potential minority audience and sell more records.

Once again "whitey" trying to take advantage of the black community!!
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

As far as I concerned a sucker punch is the onset of a robbery attempt and will be treated as such.......
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    The present generation may have come up with an official name for it, and social media made it more popular, but this is nothing new to me. I grew up in a tough little steel town where casual violence was the order of the day.
    RichB70 and blitzburgh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    The present generation may have come up with an official name for it, and social media made it more popular, but this is nothing new to me. I grew up in a tough little steel town where casual violence was the order of the day.
    I spent some time in tough neighborhoods myself, but sucker punching was not one of the tactics used.

Unless you consider getting in the first lick once you confronted someone or they confronted you as a sucker punch.

We just called that smart!! No rules in a street fight.

We also didn't target women or the elderly or even someone smaller or younger than we were. That was forbidden.

It was usually peer on peer, face to face, let the toughest person win type of stuff.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    As far as I concerned a sucker punch is the onset of a robbery attempt and will be treated as such.......
    Three people participating in a robbery attempt, hit a person from behind and nothing is taken, is not a robbery attempt unless they are the most inept robbers ever.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I spent some time in tough neighborhoods myself, but sucker punching was not one of the tactics used.

Unless you consider getting in the first lick once you confronted someone or they confronted you as a sucker punch.

We just called that smart!! No rules in a street fight.

We also didn't target women or the elderly or even someone smaller or younger than we were. That was forbidden.

It was usually peer on peer, face to face, let the toughest person win type of stuff.
    I got sucker-punched in the throat with homemade sharp-spiked brass knuckles in the hallway at school in the 7th grade. If you didn't keep your head on a swivel, someone was gonna take it off.

The victim allegedly was hit on the back of the head, and went to Williamsport Regional Medical Center for treatment, police said.

As of last night, it appeared no money was taken, police said.
    I'm a betting man and would be more than happy to wager this is indeed a case of the "Knock Out Game" since somebody was knocked out and no belongings were taken. That's pretty much the "rules" of the "game".

The "Knock Out Game" has been around for a long, long time. Same with "polar bear hunting". It's just been ignored by the mainstream media until recently and even now, it's hardly getting any attention. Now, imagine if the races were reversed... it'd be all we'd hear about on the news and Jesse & Co. would be swearing up and down the Klan was back.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I got sucker-punched in the throat with a homemade sharp-spiked brass knuckles in the hallway at school in the 7th grade. If you didn't keep your head on a swivel, someone was gonna take it off.
    Sounds like my old neighborhood which was also a steel town. I remembering being stabbed in the leg with a pencil in 1st grade over my Starter jacket.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I got sucker-punched in the throat with homemade sharp-spiked brass knuckles in the hallway at school in the 7th grade. If you didn't keep your head on a swivel, someone was gonna take it off.
    Whoa!!!

I guess I just THOUGHT I grew up in some tough neighborhoods.

I do remember having to fight my way to baseball practice after school everyday during the Spring and I had no problems using the baseball spikes i was carrying as a weapon.

Just for comparison purposes, I grew up in the town in question and went to six different schools in several different parts of that town and only had two fights that I can remember (not counting my brother). But that was back in the 50's, long before drugs took over.

I was an Army brat and as you might inmagine we moved around a bit.

Had to fight my way into acceptance at almost every school I attended. Grammar, Junior high, High school.

Got easier as I got up around 6'1" 205 lbs as a junior. Also helped that my Dad was Special Forces and taught me the hard way.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links