Want To Know Who's Tracking You Online?

This is a discussion on Want To Know Who's Tracking You Online? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There's an Add-On from Firefox browser called LIGHTBEAM, a very interesting tool anyone can use who uses Firefox. It shows in visualizations which sites are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Want To Know Who's Tracking You Online?

Want To Know Who's Tracking You Online?

There's an Add-On from Firefox browser called LIGHTBEAM, a very interesting tool anyone can use who uses Firefox. It shows in visualizations which sites are tracking you. Not the NSA but all the companies that later may well put spam on your computer, know your history and interests and, if they are nefarious, may try to send you fraudulent adds that are really come-ons to rip you off.

Lightbeam can also know your data as it collects it but I think you can opt-out of sharing any personal information. And that is the one heads-up I'll give you: I am not an expert on Privacy so I can't swear Lightbeam itself is on the level but from reviews it seems to be.
    It apparently is from an organization that wants the topic of Privacy to become well-known to people. I doubt Firefox would include it as one of their helpful "Add-Ons" without thorough research and OK.

The Graph view is truly amazing. It becomes so filled with hundreds of sites tracking you over a period of a week that it is unbelievable. There is also a List view, and you have the choice of blocking any of these sites from tracking you. But you must read how to to do it, or you can inadvertently block some you need in order to allow you to browse properly.

A writer from Forbes Magazine who's article I linked here enclosed a graph from Lightbeam of one morning's tracking of his computer.
    The big "F" is Forbes website, all the rest other sites tracking the writer when he goes to FORBES on his computer using Firefox browser. And this is only for ONE website he goes to. Just ONE.

lightbeam.jpg

Try it out. You can put it on Firefox and take it off after 5 min. of curiosity viewing. But it will really shock you how exposed we are on the internet. Go to "TOOLS" on the top of Firefox and click, then click on "ADD-ONS". In the search box that comes up write "Lightbeam". The rest is simple as it is to remove Lightbeam if you don't want to use it.

Privacy Matters - Mozilla's Lightbeam Uncovers The Web's Secret Spies - Forbes

Want to know who's spying on you online? There's an app for that | ZDNet
    Last edited by detective; November 26th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Jeanlouise and gatorbait51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Simple...everyone is.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I don't do anything but look at gun store web sites, youtube, and come here and a few other forums. I figure the gubiment is already spying on my computer for those reasons.

The good news is I received an email from a Nigerian Prince yesterday who wants me to help move his fortune into the US. I'm going to be rich!!
    The Police arrive just in time to draw chalk outlines

It's up to You to make sure the outline isn't around Your body

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for posting that. I have a love/hate relationship with the computer. I know that mine is gummed up with trackers and I'm going to take it to my computer guru and have him clean it up.

I use IE for a browser and I know it's considered to be the worst, but I'm afraid if I change it I'll mess up other things that are important (as you noted).

If you ever doubt your computer is being tracked just do a web search for some obscure thing like dog diapers. Suddenly you'll be getting lots of ads for those diapers you looked for.

It's like anything I guess, you have to weigh the risk/benefit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

FYI, essentially all trackers are private 3rd party entities that are data mining and selling off the info they collect. If you don't think it's a big deal, try a blocker like the one above or ghostery. Then click on a news article link and watch about 30 tracking entities get blocked from a single site. Multiply that by all your browsing habits, and there is a lot of info being snatched up and passed around. Just make sure you opt out of allowing the tracker blocking program to access your personal info. They make money by selling off your data just like the trackers, themselves.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    ...The good news is I received an email from a Nigerian Prince yesterday who wants me to help move his fortune into the US. I'm going to be rich!!
    Hah! That's what YOU think!
    The Nigerian Minister of Finance has actually embezzled all of your Prince's money, and he's sending it to ME!!!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    I don't do anything but look at gun store web sites, youtube, and come here and a few other forums. I figure the gubiment is already spying on my computer for those reasons.

The good news is I received an email from a Nigerian Prince yesterday who wants me to help move his fortune into the US. I'm going to be rich!!
    That's odd! I got one from another Nigerian Prince with the same wish. Hmmmmm...... must be brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I have a love/hate relationship with the computer. I know that mine is gummed up with trackers and I'm going to take it to my computer guru and have him clean it up.

I use IE for a browser and I know it's considered to be the worst, but I'm afraid if I change it I'll mess up other things that are important (as you noted).

If you ever doubt your computer is being tracked just do a web search for some obscure thing like dog diapers. Suddenly you'll be getting lots of ads for those diapers you looked for.

It's like anything I guess, you have to weigh the risk/benefit.
    There are various apps, including quite a few on Firefox Add-Ons that will help to keep your computer a bit less exposed.

The best, I use one and pay about $60/year, (though there are free ones also), are called VPNs. Virtual Private Networks. What they all do is make it look like your computers "address" is in another area, they change therefore your computer's "address", sometimes from routing your real one abroad to another. It's like if your phone showed a false number to anyone you called who had Caller ID. So companies cannot track you for "You" are disguised. Since I've used one 3/4's of my being tracked has been stopped. The more money you pay for a VPN the better it disguises you and there are many reviews and "THE BEST'-rating type sites you can educate yourself with for VPNs.

That plus the apps I mentioned can help. Another thing: browse in your browser's "Privacy" mode. No "cookies" are left on from companies. And delete the "cookies" that are left in your browser if you don't want to use Privacy mode before turning your computer off. ("Cookies" are little "tags" companies leave on your browser to make it easier to track you in the future.)

Course, it's much easier to say "let 'em track, who cares" which many do. But I just don't like the effrontery of these places knowing about me by spying.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    I have Ghost on my machines. it shows and allows you to block.
    the list sometimes is more than 12 sites wanting to track you.
    privacy nosed over with the introduction of caller ID.
    it crashed under Bush's NSA
    detective and Sister like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Maybe if I get enough of the yoyos tracking me they will give some one else a break so bring it on and if they want to stop by my place is the one with the American Flag out front.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I love caller ID. I haven't answered a spam call in years. I'm signed up on the "Do Not Call" list but it doesn't stop everyone.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    If you think you have ANY privacy online, you are fooling yourself. No matter what you do there are ways to track you. It is part of being on the internet.

Yeah I don't wanna be tracked.

Five years ago I spent too much time checking my 'spam' folder/inbox. Yesterday after way more than a month ago I cleared out my spam. I barely had 60 emails in spam inbox.

Two days ago I spent 45 minutes dumping 3/4 of my email inbox. From 550+down to 200 or so.
    detective likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Yeah I don't wanna be tracked.
    Than you can't be on the internet.

I use Disconnect and Ghostery with Opera. I'm sure all browsers have extensions that can block these types of things.
    detective likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links