Renal Artery Stent To Ease Hypertension-Experience?

Renal Artery Stent To Ease Hypertension-Experience?

This is a discussion on Renal Artery Stent To Ease Hypertension-Experience? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is way off topic, but very relevant to me personally at this time. I have had a hypertension issue for over half my life, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Renal Artery Stent To Ease Hypertension-Experience?

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047

    Renal Artery Stent To Ease Hypertension-Experience?

    This is way off topic, but very relevant to me personally at this time. I have had a hypertension issue for over half my life, and until the last year or so have been able to keep it controlled through medication and exercise. Not so now. Three different medications, six tablets a day and still 160/80 range, complete with side effects of the medication.

    Soon I will be having a stent placed in my right renal artery as a means of improving blood flow to the kidney, thus lowering BP. Has anyone else here had this procedure done? Thoughts?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,721
    No, but good luck. You'll be in my thoughts.
    Mike1956, phreddy and OD* like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,141
    Wow. I had no idea such a thing was done; makes sense given how the Renin-Angiontensin system can be directly influenced by arterial pressure in the kidney. Do you have a 'smoking gun' for what caused the initial hypertension? Are the stents going to have a drug coated on them?
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

    As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.


  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,608
    My mom had something similar, but for different reasons.

    Is the stent permanent, or does it have to be replaced occasionally?
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,478
    I saw a report about the use of stents but they really did not go in-depth, please let us know how it works out for you. And I hope it works for yu.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Wow. I had no idea such a thing was done; makes sense given how the Renin-Angiontensin system can be directly influenced by arterial pressure in the kidney. Do you have a 'smoking gun' for what caused the initial hypertension? Are the stents going to have a drug coated on them?
    There is definitely plaque build-up on the right side, so yes, that is hopefully the smoking gun. The stent used will be a wire mesh, 5.5 mm expanding one without medication. It is strictly to expand the artery and ease blook flow.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My mom had something similar, but for different reasons.

    Is the stent permanent, or does it have to be replaced occasionally?
    It will be permanent.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I saw a report about the use of stents but they really did not go in-depth, please let us know how it works out for you. And I hope it works for yu.
    I certainly will. Thanks.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,482
    Have not heard of it. Good luck Mike, prayers for a good outcome sent your way....
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Have not heard of it. Good luck Mike, prayers for a good outcome sent your way....
    Much appreciated.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It will be permanent.
    That sounds like a good deal to me. It's something that I'll probably eventually need as well. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Keep us updated.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    That sounds like a good deal to me. It's something that I'll probably eventually need as well. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Keep us updated.
    I have put it off as long as I could, thus proving I don't always abide by my signature line. I'll do a complete debrief here as soon as the results are in.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,194
    I don't know anyone who has had it but I wish you the very best and keep you in my prayers. It's just amazing what advances we have in medicine every year.
    Mike1956 and ShooterGranny like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,630
    I don't know about the use of stents for that particular purpose. Personally I'd see if I could learn a little more about it, just so I know. Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to if you trust the doctors.

    As for stents themselves, they've been in use for a long time and are about as routine a procedure as one can get these days.

    If possible, I'd suggest finding out what make and model will be used and do a little research on it. Odds are you'll feel much better about it. You will find reports of problems with stents - anything in this world can go wrong - but remember that lawyers are out there making stuff up, as well.

    nih.gov is a good source of info.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,047
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I don't know about the use of stents for that particular purpose. Personally I'd see if I could learn a little more about it, just so I know. Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to if you trust the doctors.

    As for stents themselves, they've been in use for a long time and are about as routine a procedure as one can get these days.

    If possible, I'd suggest finding out what make and model will be used and do a little research on it. Odds are you'll feel much better about it. You will find reports of problems with stents - anything in this world can go wrong - but remember that lawyers are out there making stuff up, as well.

    nih.gov is a good source of info.
    I've researched the device, doctor, hospital and procedure enough to be very comfortable with it all. I'm just hoping it accomplishes the mission. One-third of those undergoing the procedure experience dramatic BP improvement, another third, moderate, and the others, no change in BP.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

what can go wrong with a renal artery stent

Click on a term to search for related topics.