Any Rock Climbers?

This is a discussion on Any Rock Climbers? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of my students is starting an outdoor club at the school, which is going to involve a good bit of rock climbing (he and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Any Rock Climbers?

Any Rock Climbers?

One of my students is starting an outdoor club at the school, which is going to involve a good bit of rock climbing (he and one of the chaperones are experienced). It has gotten me interested in the sport, and I'm thinking of going on a couple of the trips. I've done indoor walls, but never climbed outdoors.

Any rock climbers here on DC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

I've climbed a few Jack Daniels on the rocks.
    OldVet, Sister, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.

Twenty five years and about eighty pounds ago.......
    Sister likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No thanks. Never interested me. Of course a subtle fear of heights may have had something to do with that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    We have an indoor climbing gym that I make it to a few times a year. I would love to pursue something like what you have mentioned. Good luck!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

*Raises hand*

I've been a rock climber for about seven years, dabbled some in mountaineering and ice climbing as well. It's the only exercise I actually enjoy...I'll run for fitness, but climbing has a way of engaging my body and mind together that few other activities can match. Have fun!

What I particularly enjoy about climbing on rock as opposed to the gym is the freedom. I also enjoy the degree of forethought that must go into every move. It is more mentally taxing than I think non-climbers give it credit for.

If you can trust your ropes (I have heli-rappelled, so I don't have a problem there) then you will really enjoy the experience.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Distinguished Member
    This is a sport I have never understood. If the mountain is in the way, then go around it. From what I hear the landing from falling off those mountains is not pretty.

Sitting under a palm having a cocktail brought by the native boy Julio in a coconut shell would be very pleasant and less dangerous and tiring.

Don't do it Badey, you will get hurt.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Few years ago I played mountain goat, Now my age keep me grounded. OH well have at it.

I always wanted to but S.E. Michigan is flat. No one was much interested in running up to Grand Ledge when I finally got mobile and there were no indoor options back in my day. I guess it just one of those things that I'll never do...
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    This is a sport I have never understood. If the mountain is in the way, then go around it. From what I hear the landing from falling off those mountains is not pretty.

Sitting under a palm having a cocktail brought by the native boy Julio in a coconut shell would be very pleasant and less dangerous and tiring.

Don't do it Badey, you will get hurt.
    You just haven't seen the view from the top.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    You just haven't seen the view from the top.
    And you just haven't seen Julio

United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

In my younger / dumber days... Now my "center of gravity" is more like a globe than a six pack.

I truly believe we are all born fearless but get wiser as we get older.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    In my younger / dumber days... Now my "center of gravity" is more like a globe than a six pack.

I truly believe we are all born fearless but get wiser as we get older.
    Fearless climbers usually end up on the wrong kind of news. Real climbers accept fear as part of the activity, and realize that just like any other potentially dangerous activity like driving it can be brought down to acceptable levels of risk through proper training, equipment, technique, and decision making.

I'm usually fairly relaxed when toproping or following somebody. On lead, it's condition orange the whole way (with little bits of red here and there). It can be very mentally draining if you go all day, but on the other hand it's probably pretty good stress inoculation that may come in handy in a SD situation. :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    *Raises hand*

I've been a rock climber for about seven years, dabbled some in mountaineering and ice climbing as well. It's the only exercise I actually enjoy...I'll run for fitness, but climbing has a way of engaging my body and mind together that few other activities can match. Have fun!
    It may engage your body and mind all the way to the ground!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links