E. coast mountain folks, need info on Radon

This is a discussion on E. coast mountain folks, need info on Radon within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came within a day of signing a contract on a home near the NC mountains last week. Found out that the house has a ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By MBRIDER
  • 2 Post By StormRhydr
  • 2 Post By rahmann62

Thread: E. coast mountain folks, need info on Radon

Distinguished Member

E. coast mountain folks, need info on Radon

I came within a day of signing a contract on a home near the NC mountains last week. Found out that the house has a level 12 on the Radon. Growing up at the coast we had never heard of Radon. We are scared to death to go near the hills. Now the search is back at the coast.

Can someone tell me about Radon? If you read up on it then you would never live in the mountains but many are and they are still alive??!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2. Remove Ads

Radon is a 'cancer causing' gas that is found it the bedrock.

It is easily rectified with a radon system which costs about $1500 to get installed.

Its very common here in the mid west. My house is at a 7 and I didn't even bother to have the system.

Its completely over hyped if you ask me. How many people are falling over dead from cancer associated with Radon??? Cant think of any..... me either!
    Sister and StormRhydr like this.

Distinguished Member
    We were thinking the same about not hearing about folks dying from it however the last two residents that lived in this particular home were dead, both from cancer and one after another. Not blood kin mind you.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Its bad business, Sis. Though, it can be easily dealt with, so Im giving to understand. By very simple things like small vans to get it out of the house.

But, if you cant get rid of it, Id pass.
    ShooterGranny and Sister like this.

It is a serious issue, however like mentioned above, it can be easily controlled with a mitigation system. At high levels it can quickly cause serious health problems. Just because one house has high test levels it does not mean all in the area will. A good friend of mine is a licensed radon tester, he has done test of houses right next to each other and they will have totally different levels, he says it just depends on the earth where the specific house is built.

To sum it up, just because one house test for high levels, does not mean you need to stop looking at houses in that area.
    ShooterGranny and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    At the sale of our house up in PA, we found that the RADON level in the basement was high. I don't remember the level or what my parents did to correct it. They lived there for 25 years and both died of cancer. I'm not saying there's a correlation, but those are the facts.

According to this link, a rating of 12 is very high:

Acceptable radon levels vs. Safe radon levels

VIP Member
    I have heard if it but that is about all I know, here is a link that may give some useful info.

Radon: Truth vs. myth
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links