Ugly side of sports:Coach spills soda to delay game

This is a discussion on Ugly side of sports:Coach spills soda to delay game within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unbeleivable....I have been a youth hockey coach for years and have taught my kids that you win on your merits, not cheap tricks or dirty ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu
  • 2 Post By oldskeetshooter
  • 2 Post By tdave
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By blitzburgh
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 2 Post By maxwell97
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By oldskeetshooter

Thread: Ugly side of sports:Coach spills soda to delay game

Unbeleivable....I have been a youth hockey coach for years and have taught my kids that you win on your merits, not cheap tricks or dirty play. The other coach and I had one of the best teams west of the Mississippee and we would bench the star player during a championship game if he broke the rules.

Anyway, I digress. An NBA coach spills a soda on the court with 8.3 seconds to go. He had no more timeouts and wanted to have time to diagram a play. That in my book is not clever....it is flat out cheating. You used up your dang timeouts so manage your team accordingly.
    What a terrible example for kids and other coaches out there of all sports. Worse, he blows it off when he gets fined:
    Despite receiving a $50,000 fine from the NBA on Thanksgiving Day for his action, Kidd said the plan, which he said he concocted after “listening to other coaches or other owners talk about coaches and what they’ve done,” worked as he had hoped.

”Paul [Pierce] got a great look, but the league fined me for something that I probably shouldn’t have done,” he said. ”We’ll move on.”
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Stuff like this is not new. Coaches have been using "fake" injury timeouts for years. "Winning", at any cost, and putting on a "Show", is what the fans want today.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

This is one more example of the deterioration of our society. The win/money trumps morals philosophy. It is one more thing that makes me fear for my grandkids.
    gatorbait51 and oldnfat like this.

VIP Member
    It’s no wonder then that “sports” exhibitions rarely finish in the allotted time and drag on for hours of overtime disrupting subsequent programming. Our local stations have wised up and instead of listing program times on the weekend the just say, after football worship services.
    gatorbait51 and tdave like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

$50,000 is pennies to Jason Kidd. Winnings worth a lot more than that to him.

As everybody probably knows by now, I'm a huge sports fan. But, stuff like this, the faking of injuries, and other stunts that degrade the integrity of the game, really grind my gears. As if there's already not enough things that are giving certain leagues and players black eyes left and right.

Whether or not these guys asked for it or like it, they are role models and some kid's "hero". They know this because when they were coming up, they had their "heros" and favorite players that they wanted to be just like. I'm sorry but I don't give a damn how good a player is if he's been convicted of selling drugs, domestic violence, and so on. The leagues and/or teams need to up their standards and raise the bar with character clauses and other methods and start showing the thug's the exit.... /endrant
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

If they had ended up winning the game, then a forfeiture of that win would have been in order. As it was, they lost anyway.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The NBA and NFL are far too lenient with the behavior of players and coaches alike, and the fans are far too willing to accept it. That includes unsportsmanlike conduct as well as criminal behavior outside the stadium. The NHL does things right. The end of Sean Avery's hockey career is instructional in how standards should be maintained.

'On December 2, 2008, prior to the Stars' morning skate in preparation for a game against the Calgary Flames, Avery approached the assembled reporters in the dressing room and stated, “I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight.” At the time, Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf was dating Avery’s ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, and Kings center Jarret Stoll was dating model Rachel Hunter, another ex-girlfriend of Avery’s.
    Within hours, the NHL suspended Avery indefinitely for "conduct detrimental to the league or the game of hockey". His comments were met with near-unanimous condemnation by the Stars organization, fellow players, and fans alike. Stars owner Tom Hicks said that the team would have suspended Avery had the NHL not acted first. Avery apologized the next day, calling his actions "inappropriate" and "a bad attempt to build excitement for the game."
    On December 5, the NHL fixed Avery's suspension at six games, retroactive to the December 2 game against the Flames. He agreed to undergo anger management counseling due to what the NHL called unacceptable and antisocial behavior. Commissioner Gary Bettman noted that Avery had been warned before about his behavior. On December 14, after the last game of Avery's suspension, the Stars announced that Avery would not return to the team.'
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    There is no "sport" in professional sports anymore. In fact there hasn't been in many years. It's all about winning or losing, which equates to money.

Of course anymore anything is a professional sport. Cheer leading, skateboarding, surfing. I keep wondering when we will see professional hula hoop twirling or maybe shopping cart racing!
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I stopped watching professional basketball long ago. Still enjoy college ball though.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    There is no "sport" in professional sports anymore. In fact there hasn't been in many years. It's all about winning or losing, which equates to money.

Of course anymore anything is a professional sport. Cheer leading, skateboarding, surfing. I keep wondering when we will see professional hula hoop twirling or maybe shopping cart racing!
    I do so love sports, especially "real" football. You are on to something that die hard sports fans, myself included, hate to see. That being, pro sports have gone from being a "Sport" to being "Broadway Production with self aimed spotlights".
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

{cough} It has always been about winning and losing and making money in professional sports. This is not new at all. Read about sports history and you will see many such depiscable acts in the past. I am not defending pro athletes today, just saying that is has been happening before.

BTW: Surfing has been a professional sport since at least 1964
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Links