Used My Get Home Bag

Used My Get Home Bag

This is a discussion on Used My Get Home Bag within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This isn't very exciting, but I had to use some items from GHB today. My brother-in-law shattered his back window while we were Christmas tree ...

Like Tree23Likes
  • 11 Post By Badey
  • 3 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 3 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By Caertaker
  • 3 Post By manolito

Thread: Used My Get Home Bag

Used My Get Home Bag

This isn't very exciting, but I had to use some items from GHB today.

My brother-in-law shattered his back window while we were Christmas tree hunting. I was able to help by using a contractor grade trash bag and duct tape from my bag.

It's not exciting, but the older I get, the more I realize that being prepared is more about the daily grind than the zombie apocalypse.

I think my brother-in-law and sister-in-law also saw the benefit of having some helpful items in their car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Betty, Tzadik, Sister and 8 others like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Good work. I've used my duct tape and multitool and first aid kit from my bag.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I ate a Cliff Bar out of mine when I was stuck without lunch a couple of weeks ago.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Way to tough it out in hard times, Brad.
    Brad426 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Way to tough it out in hard times, Brad.
    I shall overcome.
    Phaedrus, Badey and Jeanlouise like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Reminds me, when was the last time I looked at the stuff in my bag?
    Last edited by tdave; November 30th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Reminds me I when was the last time I looked at the stuff in my bag?
    I was thinking that today when I was sorting through items to get to the duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I keep duct tape, rope, multi-tool, tarp, and flash light in my truck. A man can take care of a lot of stuff with that.
    miller_man likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I was on the way to my volunteer job at Habitat one day a few years ago when a mailbox jumped out and bit my car. Knocked the passenger side rear view mirror almost completely off! So I pulled off the road and duct taped the thing back on. Got me all the way to town and back home and another day until "we" could get it in to the repair shop and get a new one put on.

Have a few other things I carry in the car also, but duct tape is absolutely essential.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    It's not exciting, but the older I get, the more I realize that being prepared is more about the daily grind than the zombie apocalypse.

I think my brother-in-law and sister-in-law also saw the benefit of having some helpful items in their car.
    Bug-out bag.
    Bug-in bag.
    Don't-bug-me (with the idea of not being prepared) bag. *

* As in, don't bug me with my not having been prepared enough to have some means of getting through the situation. The Boy Scouts were right. Be prepared.

Whatever it's called, having a "bag" of useful and practical little items ("notions," as they say in the sewing world) is a good thing. Learned that long ago while traveling in the car over long distances. You never know when that extra jug of water, the proverbial "bailing wire" or whatever is going to come in handy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Kewl. I used my med kit treat a minor injury at work once. I got a funny sideways look when I produced it.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member
    If you truly want to see what can be done on the trail go with some jeep guys. I am in a club and learn something new each trip. Something invariably breaks and the fixes will amaze.
    Most have changed from Duct tape to Gorilla tape truly worth the extra money in its ability to hold especially when wet and cold. The most used in my bag is a small bow saw.
    Being prepared can make the difference between life and death in the mountains in the snow alone and lost.

Bill
    BugDude, Badey and ccw9mm like this.

Sponsored Links