Christmas Tree Hunting Fiasco

This is a discussion on Christmas Tree Hunting Fiasco within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Disclaimer: I'm going to complain. So every me, my wife, and her family all go Christmas tree hunting (cut down our own tree). I'm a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Christmas Tree Hunting Fiasco

Christmas Tree Hunting Fiasco

Disclaimer: I'm going to complain.

So every me, my wife, and her family all go Christmas tree hunting (cut down our own tree). I'm a bit of a Scrooge, so I generally dread it.

This year, we had to sit in traffic for about 45 minutes before we even got there because the lane was a sheet of ice. I paid $56 for a tree because it was 3 inches over the $46 length. My car got stuck in the icy parking lot. And, my brother-in-law shattered his back window trying to put his tree in the trunk (at least it wasn't mine). 4 hours later, I'm home, and get to haul the tree inside and fight to get it to fit in the stand.

Despite the fiasco, it was nice being with family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm sorry about your misery. But all I have to do is go to my storage closet, take out the tree, put the three sections together, and fluff out the branches.
    Badey, Jeanlouise and Sister like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I'm sorry about your misery. But all I have to do is go to my storage closet, take out the tree, put the three sections together, and fluff out the branches.
    Got you beat Betty. Just the wife and I. No family near. We don't even mess with a tree anymore.
    Betty, BugDude, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    This year, we had to sit in traffic for about 45 minutes before we even got there because the lane was a sheet of ice. I paid $56 for a tree because it was 3 inches over the $46 length. My car got stuck in the icy parking lot. And, my brother-in-law shattered his back window trying to put his tree in the trunk (at least it wasn't mine). 4 hours later, I'm home, and get to haul the tree inside and fight to get it to fit in the stand.
    [/URL]
    Wow! Sounds like fun!

We go back and forth every few years between real and artificial. We are now in our "artificial" cycle again. I like to leave the lights on most of the day and evening and I like to put the tree up right after Thanksgiving, so not having to worry about it drying out and going up in a puff of smoke (taking the house with it) is nice.

The real ones are beautiful too so there's pluses and minuses to both.

If feel sorry for your BIL having broken out his window. That kind of puts a damper on the outing to say the least.

Love this time of year though, so cheers!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Huh?? When we go Xmas tree hunting we usually just sit in the stand and wait for them to come to us. Much easier if you been feeding them most of the year.
    Badey, oldnfat, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Huh?? When we go Xmas tree hunting we usually just sit in the stand and wait for them to come to us. Much easier if you been feeding them most of the year.
    I prefer to chase my trees. I brought my P238, but ended up bagging it with a saw.

WHEC724 likes this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

We went pre-lit artificial about 6 years back. I do miss the smell of a fresh tree, but I don't miss the struggle to find the 'right' one, the stringing of the lights (unraveling the knot-ball), the sap, or the watering.

We did artificial for many years and it was more hassle than it was worth. We now do real trees. I drive the mini van down to the Lowes Home Improvement parking lot a few miles away and the dude ties it on top for me. Ironically, I'm usually wearing shorts and flip flops when getting a tree now. I remember traipsing through the snow in the cold many moons ago to get a tree...now that I live in FL it just doesn't seem like winter anymore. Just a cool summer.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    There was a perfectly shaped, over 7 feet tall, live evergreen in a stand in front our local Farm and Tractor store the other day for $19.99.

I know, I know, they are old and dry and you don't get the fun of cutting your own.................been there, done that. The best thing about the experience was the hot chocolate and songs around the old player piano afterwards.

Also did the "live tree with ball attached to plant in the yard after Christmas was over" thing. If you're willing to settle for a much shorter tree and don't mind wearing a back brace until June that's a nifty thing to do also.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    For 34 years i have gone kicking and screaming picking out a real tree . The wife does not want an artificial tree and my wife will win this arguement every time .
    Badey, Sister and Stoveman like this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Ya know, they have artificial trees now. Just leave'em up all year long....like your Christmas lights outside.
    Badey likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    Ya know, they have artificial trees now. Just leave'em up all year long....like your Christmas lights outside.
    You sir, are a genius!!

I like my fake plastic tree with the lights already built in

Distinguished Member
    I haven't had a tree in at least 8-10 years, maybe longer. Truth is, I can't remember when.

Hardly any family, nobody to see it.

Can't wait till Spring is here and the daffodils pop up!
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    Nah - they're too hard to dust!!!!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links