Interesting WP artical about 3 terms for POTUS

This is a discussion on Interesting WP artical about 3 terms for POTUS within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have heard this rumor before but haven't seen it in print from a newspaper. I seriously don't know if it can happen or not??? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Interesting WP artical about 3 terms for POTUS

Distinguished Member

I have heard this rumor before but haven't seen it in print from a newspaper. I seriously don't know if it can happen or not??? Opinions???

End presidential term limits - The Washington Post
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Of course it can not happen. There is ZERO chance the 22nd Amendment would get repealed. Thus there is only 2 terms.
    gatorbait51 and 84160 like this.

VIP Member
    There should be term limits on congress as well. Limit them to two consecutive terms and only eligible for subsequent terms after being out of office for at least one election cycle.
    84160, WHEC724, RETSUPT99 and 7 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I have heard this rumor before but haven't seen it in print from a newspaper. I seriously don't know if it can happen or not??? Opinions???

It's a Washington Post Opinion piece, a trial balloon being floated , I noted the reference to Ronald Reagan but none of the several suggestions for Billy Blyth going for a third term. I am convinced , historically, that Roosevelt's third and fourth terms should never have happened. I also think that two terms is more than enough for any Chief Executive.

VIP Member
    So far the folks "up there" have shown total disregard for the constitution and legitimate laws passed by Congress. They really don't care that "constitutionally" the states have to vote amendments in or out. So IMHO yes, it could happen.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post

Not a chance, at least not short term. The electorate will not change the the 22nd A for Obama who is sinking in popularity.

If this were to happen it would be with a President that would have to be 20 times more popular than Clinton during his first term and have a .00005% unemployment rate with the average wage of a worker being 50,000 a year and no deficit.

In short...it will never hapen.
    NONAME762 and msgt/ret like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Hillary for LIFE! Imagine the wonderful world that would be!
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Hillary for LIFE! Imagine the wonderful world that would be!
    I agree in the “for life” but it would not be in a political office.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Our current "king" would really like for this to happen. I'm not sure this country can survive 3 more years of his reign. A term after that is unimaginable.
    84160, darbo, blitzburgh and 3 others like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    So far the folks "up there" have shown total disregard for the constitution and legitimate laws passed by Congress. They really don't care that "constitutionally" the states have to vote amendments in or out. So IMHO yes, it could happen.
    This is the ball park I'm in too ShooterGranny. Nothing in the constitution has stopped them from anything so far. If anything it's getting worse, even with the popularity going down it doesn't seem to matter one bit. Now the news people are even kept out of a lot of thing and I see the freedom of speech being stifled. Even photographing has been stopped unless you have permission USA Today Calls Out White House Propaganda, Will No Longer Publish Obama Admin's "Official" Press Photos - The Free Patriot

Also, there is chatter about the dems pushing for a libertarian to run knowing full and well this would take away from the GOP vote like what happened in Va. I consider myself a libertarian but will not vote that way for this very reason.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    While it could happen, it couldn't happen in time for King Barack to benefit from it. It would require the repeal of the 22nd Amendment. To do that it would require 2/3 approval by both the house and senate, then 3/4 approval by the states.

To the best of my knowledge, only 1 Constitutional Amendment has ever been repealed, that being the 18th which was Prohibition.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

We desperately need a reduction in the amount of terms and total years ALL representative's serve at the state and national level ....... effectivly removing politics as a profession and eventually removing the money from D.C..
    The easy way is always mined.

This notion is floated every now and then and it frightens me to think that there are people out there who think it is a good idea. If anything, presidents should be limited to one term IMO.

In their first term, it seems like every two term president has spend the last two years of that term setting themselves up for re-election, rather than doing their job. Once re-elected, they let it go to their heads and feel they have a "mandate" to pursue their agenda. Lies, executive orders, whatever it takes. They might have a different attitude if they knew they only had four years free rent in the WH.
    Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    Never get out of the boat....

Something people here might find interesting; This weekend I read an article on huffington post about Diane Fienstien saying that we must pass stricter patriot act stuff. That the sky was falling if we didnt, etc.

What was interesting was the feedback from the forum on that article; Everyone opposed what she wanted, and pretty much EVERYONE wanted her gone. Comments about how she had been there forever, and time to put her (and all the others who had been in office) forever, out to pasture.

I think the last thing ANYONE wants now is to make it where we CANT get rid of duds in office. I was glad to see bush go, and I will be glad to see obama go.

Of course, this time I wont say "It cant get any worse", lol.
    Sister, CIBMike and 84160 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I think the last thing ANYONE wants now is to make it where we CANT get rid of duds in office. I was glad to see bush go, and I will be glad to see obama go.

Of course, this time I wont say "It cant get any worse", lol.
    I hear ya. I was in that camp, I never thought I'd look back on Bush as actually not that bad by comparison. Especially since I was of the "try him for treason" mindset over the patriot act stuff. Never would have thought the next guy would make the patriot act look like child's play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links