Son's first handgun deer!

This is a discussion on Son's first handgun deer! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First let's have a little history lesson. Back in 90', I was a senior and 17. Due to a fractured neck from a car accident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Son's first handgun deer!

Son's first handgun deer!

First let's have a little history lesson. Back in 90', I was a senior and 17. Due to a fractured neck from a car accident the previous year, I convinced my surgeon to clear me to use a hand gun for Ohio's deer gun season because he would not allow me to use a shotgun. So my dad helped me purchase a new blued Ruger GP100 in 6". I shot a very nice buck with it that year with my home brewed Hornady 158g XTP on top of a hot load of Hodgon H110.

Move ahead to 2012,my son and his cousins convinced grandpa they needed a deer pistol (my GP had been sold years ago). So he purchased a SS GP100 in 6". Now my son has been shooting it and i agreed he was proficient enough to hunt deer with it.

So, with the same hand load I used 23 years ago he heads to his stand after school yesterday. He txt me shortly after getting in his stand and says he just watched two guys (one a cousin) shoot a deer with a muzzleloader. They gut it and haul it out with a buggy. I txt him to just sit tight he has over an hour of legal time left.

It wasn't a half hour later he is calling me. He says dad I just blasted a deer at 30yds and it spun and ran off.

I told him to calm down and I would be on my way. Well after following a brief blood trail we found him about 50 yds away laying by the creek bank. Shot took both lungs out and left two holes in him.

So, my son, a junior and 16, 23yrs later kills a nice BB with a SS GP100 with my same hand loads. It's not a big deer, but it will be very tasty and the nostalgia is just too cool!

Thanks for listening to a very proud dads rant! :)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congratulations to your son! I'm sure this will be a life time memory for him. He looks like a very nice young guy.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    That sounds awesome. The best kinds of memories. Those little things that will remembered well after we are gone from this world.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    Congrats to your son. Just think, in another 20 years "grandpa" can load up another batch or rounds and send the grandson out to carry on a family tradition. Just think, he might get to do it with the same gun your son did!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Nice!!!

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Do you need my address for the backstrap to be sent to? lol

Way cool!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Congrats! I'm proud and he's not even my boy!

Very cool!

BTW, that doe is as big as the 8 and 6 pt bucks I've killed this year. I'd love to have one of those in the freezer!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Congrats to your son...nice shooting, and soon to move on to a great meal...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Congrats to your son! Now your legacy will continue with "family reloading recipes"!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    That was a nice lung shot. Looks like that one ate well. Now you can too.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Good Job what deer to beat a Father Son team like that.

Grandpa always said take your children hunting and you won't have to hunt your children. He believed kids just turn out better if they hunt with their Dad.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Well done! tender eatin.

Very cool! You're doing well, enjoy!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links