Best Christmas Memories: (warning long)

This is a discussion on Best Christmas Memories: (warning long) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I just checked the calendar and discovered that once again Christmas is headed our way. The stores and malls all across this great land ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By TruckerJoe

Thread: Best Christmas Memories: (warning long)

Best Christmas Memories: (warning long)

Well I just checked the calendar and discovered that once again Christmas is headed our way. The stores and malls all across this great land are packed with shoppers trying to decide what to get me (really you shouldnít) and in some parts the air is turning crisp. I thought now would be a good time to share a couple of great Christmas memories.

First was when I was a teenager growing up in the sagebrush of Nevada. Every year after the gifts were opened my older brother and I had to get out from under Grandmaís feet while she fixed the dinner. We would each select a gun, anything from a .22 rifle to heavy caliber pistols to deer rifles, and go out in search of Jackrabbits. Where we lived we could virtually shoot out our front door (if Grandpa was not home that is!) So going out for rabbits was no problem and Jacks were always open season. I donít remember any of the gifts except the gift of time that we gave each other.

My all-time best Christmas however was in 2011. I was driving truck over the road and my wife was living in the truck with me full time. We were not maintaining a home any place other than the truck. So going home for Christmas would mean staying in a motel someplace. Our yearly tradition was that we would stay out working so that another driver might be able to be home with their family for all of the holidays. In 2011 we both decided that there were really no gifts that we wanted or needed so we were free of the demands of Christmas shopping.

As darkness fell on Christmas Eve I found a parking space in a truck stop in Newton, Kansas. Most of the truck stop was already closed for Christmas but the fuel island was still open and they were giving out free coffee, soft drinks, fruit, and sandwiches to anyone who stopped. We met an old guy that had survived a massive heart attack and we talked to him for hours.

On Christmas morning we awoke with the sun and drove just over 500 miles to Johnstown, Colorado. It was a beautiful sunny day, traffic was light, there was not even one accident that we saw, the roads were dry, and the air was cold. She Bear and I had the most peaceful day, just talking and listening to Christmas music on whatever station was in range. There was no gift stress, no buying, no gift wrapping, and no disappointment over not getting just what we wanted. It was just the two of us in love and basking in the peace and beauty of each otherís company. It was overall the most relaxing and free spirited Christmas we have ever spent together.

Christmas does not have to be about the gifts, not when the best gift you can give is yourself and your time.

Merry Christmas!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerJoe View Post
    It was just the two of us in love and basking in the peace and beauty of each other’s company. It was overall the most relaxing and free spirited Christmas we have ever spent together.

Christmas does not have to be about the gifts, not when the best gift you can give is yourself and your time.

Funny how few people (at least in the materialistic parts of the USA) realize this simple truth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    The celebration of life is usually very simple but hard to find. Knowing that, I still struggle finding it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    That was beautiful TruckerJoe. You're so right...Christmas doesn't have to be a stress filled time, it can be relaxed and wonderful if you just know how to make it that way. Most of my best Christmas memories have nothing to do with gifts.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    TruckerJoe that is one of the best Christmas story I have heard. Thank you so much for sharing it, your wife is a blessed lady to have you by her side
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I agree with the others here TJ that was a heart warming story. I wonder am I the only one here to notice the post counter doo dad is finally working for you Trucker?!? That's pretty wonderful right there!! I know for as long as you've been a member here you had to have at least 100 posts and now you are up to 13. Congratulations!!

In 2011 my family gave me a portable disk drive doodad with at least 200 movies on it. It has both Band of Brothers Europe and Pacific campaigns+lots of great Sci-Fi movies. Too many to list really but many are the great flicks I've loved over the years.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I agree with the others here TJ that was a heart warming story. I wonder am I the only one here to notice the post counter doo dad is finally working for you Trucker?!? That's pretty wonderful right there!! I know for as long as you've been a member here you had to have at least 100 posts and now you are up to 13. Congratulations!!

In 2011 my family gave me a portable disk drive doodad with at least 200 movies on it. It has both Band of Brothers Europe and Pacific campaigns+lots of great Sci-Fi movies. Too many to list really but many are the great flicks I've loved over the years.
    NONAME762, I did not notice my counter had started working! Thank you for pointing it out. As much as I love movies that would be a great gift! Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!

Now, would anyone else care to share a "Best Christmas"?

Links