Instructor accidentally shoots student during gun safety class

This is a discussion on Instructor accidentally shoots student during gun safety class within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Up until he shot me accidentally, it was very informative, very well laid out,” Piemonte told the Columbus Dispatch. “I learned a lot. Then again, ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 3 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By TruckerJoe
  • 2 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 3 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 4 Post By Exacto
  • 2 Post By gatorbait51
  • 2 Post By oldnfat
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By Brent95
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems

Thread: Instructor accidentally shoots student during gun safety class

VIP Member

Instructor accidentally shoots student during gun safety class

"Up until he shot me accidentally, it was very informative, very well laid out,” Piemonte told the Columbus Dispatch. “I learned a lot. Then again, I was accidentally shot.”

Read more: Instructor who accidentally shot student during gun safety class has history of firearm mishaps - NY Daily News

That comment reminds me of the joke: "Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

This guys needs to have his instructor's license revoked.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

When can I sign up for his course?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Come on! Not the same thing at all... the 1977 incident wasn't an accident, it was an unfortunate result to a guy firing his gun in the air trying to create a mood! Not the same thing at all. AND he thought it was loaded with blanks! Cut the guy some slack.

"Cathy Schmelzer had to have one of Dunlap’s bullets removed from her leg following a Halloween hayride at which the former Pickerington police department auxiliary lieutenant fired his .38-caliber handgun into the air.

When questioned later about why he had shot his pistol into the air, Dunlap replied that he was trying to create a “scary effect,” and thought the gun was loaded with blanks."
    Badey and gatorbait51 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    When I seen "Columbus" my first thought was "don't tell me that instructor shot another student..." - good thing it's just the older article.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Come on! Not the same thing at all... the 1977 incident wasn't an accident, it was an unfortunate result to a guy firing his gun in the air trying to create a mood! Not the same thing at all. AND he thought it was loaded with blanks! Cut the guy some slack.

"Cathy Schmelzer had to have one of Dunlap’s bullets removed from her leg following a Halloween hayride at which the former Pickerington police department auxiliary lieutenant fired his .38-caliber handgun into the air.

When questioned later about why he had shot his pistol into the air, Dunlap replied that he was trying to create a “scary effect,” and thought the gun was loaded with blanks."
    You're right, it's not the same thing, but the guy is careless. He thought the pistol was loaded with blanks... HE THOUGHT THE PISTOL WAS LOADED WITH BLANKS!! C'mon, you can't just "think" the gun is loaded with blanks. You have to know!

In the latest incident, "Seventy-three-year-old Terry Dunlap was allegedly demonstrating how to fire a handgun to his students in the Lancaster, Ohio shooting range, on Saturday when the incident happened. The bullet, a .38-caliber, ricocheted off a desk and somehow hit Michael Piemonte in the arm." Read more: Shooting instructor accidentally fires bullet into student's arm - NY Daily News

He's at a shooting range and the bullet ricochets off a desk! Where was the desk? Why was it in the line of fire? Where was he aiming? This guy is not acting safely.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    In the latest incident, "Seventy-three-year-old Terry Dunlap was allegedly demonstrating ...

He's at a shooting range and the bullet ricochets off a desk! Where was the desk? Why was it in the line of fire? Where was he aiming? This guy is not acting safely.
    I didn't know Lee Paige had changed his name to Terry Dunlap. Hm.

Whatever else is true, he most certainly wasn't the only one in the room qualified to be safely handling that firearm.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    You're right, it's not the same thing, but the guy is careless. He thought the pistol was loaded with blanks... HE THOUGHT THE PISTOL WAS LOADED WITH BLANKS!! C'mon, you can't just "think" the gun is loaded with blanks. You have to know!

In the latest incident, "Seventy-three-year-old Terry Dunlap was allegedly demonstrating how to fire a handgun to his students in the Lancaster, Ohio shooting range, on Saturday when the incident happened. The bullet, a .38-caliber, ricocheted off a desk and somehow hit Michael Piemonte in the arm." Read more: Shooting instructor accidentally fires bullet into student's arm - NY Daily News

Tongue-in-cheek. I don't think firing your gun in the air to create a scary effect is okay, really...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Tongue-in-cheek. I don't think firing your gun in the air to create a scary effect is okay, really...
    Admit it, you think it's a good idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    A man with two shootings to his credit should not be teaching firearms safety.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Well as an object lesson for what not to do .......
    msgt/ret and BenGoodLuck like this.

Distinguished Member
    This man should not even have a permit to carry a gun, his being an instructor is a travesty. Is he going to kill someone before the state decides to act? This is just ridiculous.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Sorry...missed the satire!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

You wouldn't think something like this would happen.Back in Feb 2012 a deputy's wife was accidentally shot by another deputy who was giving the cwp class in Chesnee S.C.Thankfully she was ok.It was a 22 that she got shot with.Don't understand why the instructor didn't make sure the gun was unloaded especially in the class room,but he admitted he didn't check the gun first smh.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Why is that instructor not being charge with shooting him?

We ALL know that you never point a firearm at something unless you intend to shoot it, so by that logic, the instructor intended on shooting the student.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    That instructor should retire before he retires one of his students permanently. He is a nincompoop.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links