Going to an MMA facility tonight, wish me luck!

This is a discussion on Going to an MMA facility tonight, wish me luck! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've always wanted to do it, but my spinal fusion has always dissuaded me. I'm fairly athletic and know low-down and dirty moves, some boxing, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Going to an MMA facility tonight, wish me luck!

VIP Member

Going to an MMA facility tonight, wish me luck!

I've always wanted to do it, but my spinal fusion has always dissuaded me. I'm fairly athletic and know low-down and dirty moves, some boxing, and can work my way out of some basic holds, but I've always wanted more formal training. So I decided to contact my local MMA place. They said they had several students who have spinal/neck issues, so they suggested I just drop by. I'm going tonight during their open mat time, and one of their instructors is going to test my range of movement. They'll suggest the best discipline from there. I'll have to leave the head-butting, eye-gouging, and nad-nailing at the door.

Wish me luck, I hope I get twisted into a pretzel and come back out smiling. Like this: But not this:
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm sure you'll have tons of fun... I know I do.

Open mat 'night' is always fun. I wish a lot more people would come back after their first visit though.
    gatorbait51 and Kavalander like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Just remember, Betty, it never happened without pictures.
    Sister and Aceoky like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

My son (19) does MMA (not competively but for the training). He loves it.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I'm a UFC, Strike Force, Bellitor, MMA arm chair champion veteran myself.

At my age, I sustain enough rear naked choke holds from the bathroom shower towel. I get injured just from routing too hard from the recliner.

Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Just remember, Betty, it never happened without pictures.
    Yes! A human pretzel is a work of art
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Why anyone would go to Chicago is beyond me...
    but Betty, if you gotta do it, you gotta do it...

I guess....

Oh wait, you're going to a facility where they teach you what it's like to walk the streets in Chicago..

my bad...

learn bunches...

And, you'll never visit Chicago. So you'll never need what you learned... That's a good thing...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have to pick up my socks with my toes because I can't bend over. No MMA for this old dog.
    fredg53 and Aceoky like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Betty, put foot to ass for the cause..Have fun, be safe, and take no prisoners...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Wish me luck, I hope I get twisted into a pretzel and come back out smiling. Like this: But not this:
    Good Luck Betty! Have fun and don't get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have to pick up my socks with my toes because I can't bend over. No MMA for this old dog.
    If you don't stop calling yourself old I'm going to come down there and belt you in the mouth, MMA style. I know for a fact that we're the same age and I am NOT old. So there.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Have fun Betty.

My gym has MMA classes as well but I mainly take Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu there. If you are worried about your spine, give your sparring partner a heads us so they know to try and avoid aggravating those areas. Classes like that are a fun way to get some good exercise, and as a plus serve a practical purpose from a self defense stand point.

Distinguished Member
    Oh to be young again!!!!! (Younger?)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Good Luck Betty! Have fun and don't get hurt.

If you don't stop calling yourself old I'm going to come down there and belt you in the mouth, MMA style. I know for a fact that we're the same age and I am NOT old. So there.
    Old AND [very] cranky!
    Last edited by OldVet; December 6th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Jeanlouise and Aceoky like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Here's my report. I stayed there for two hours until all the other students left. The weather was really crappy out so there were only a small handful there. I was paired off with another lady who had a couple inches and pounds on me. We started off with some warm-up exercises. I was unable to do one that required curling of the back (for obvious reasons, since I've had fusion there). They wanted to see my range of motion in my back. I'm fairly decent and can reach my toes easily, but there's some angles I can't do, and they said that's fine; whatever I cannot do can be modified into something I can do.

I learned a wrist lock, hammer lock and straight lock from standing, and a couple other maneuvers if I was being strangled from front and behind with one or both hands. They made sure to do a lot of repetitions and corrected my mistakes. And then it was switched up to boxing.

Looks like what I'll be doing is the Gracie self defense program - a combo of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. You pay monthly and the fee covers as many classes as you want to take for the month.

When I made it home I was a bit sore in the lower back, but this morning I'm good. I might just get a back support brace to help minimize any damage. So no pretzel just yet, but I did get choked on a few times.

Both the instructor and the female student were both armed, too.
    Jeanlouise, Sister and Aceoky like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Good to see you back unscathed and on the road to more dangerous.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links