fraud on my credit card

fraud on my credit card

This is a discussion on fraud on my credit card within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you've ever had fraudulent activity on your credit card, you probably noticed that it occurred after loss of the card or your using the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: fraud on my credit card

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

fraud on my credit card

If you've ever had fraudulent activity on your credit card, you probably noticed that it occurred after loss of the card or your using the card somewhere new. Usually there is a small bogus charge by the thief to verify that the card works, then a big charge soon after.

A few days ago, I charged a couple of bags of ice melt at an auto-parts store which I had never entered before. The fraud department of my credit card company asked me about a charge in Germany, which definitely was not done by me.

The same thing happened to a friend. We were commiserating and his fraud attack happened after he had used his card at another auto-parts store. Turns out they were both O'Reilly Auto Parts locations.

I am thinking they have been hacked. Have you had a similar problem lately with this chain?

VIP Member
    Had my debit card suspended by BOA. When I called they said there was suspicious activity and wanted to verify the purchases. I had used it at a Walmart in Richmond VA and 10 minutes later they showed 3 purchases with it at a Walmart in Elgin IL.

Seems there are now readers out that can steal the magnetic data from the card while it is still in your pocket.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It may be related to this: Credit card fraud comes of age with advances in point-of-sale botnets | Ars Technica

I haven't read the article, but apparently there is a bot net that attacks credit card processing machines for fraud purposes.
    Anubis likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Only once did we have a bogus charge on our credit card, that after using it for lunch in WPB, FL. $300 at some store that didn't exist. Called the credit card company and reported it, and they took it right off and turned it over to its fraud dept.

Don't expect CC fraud to get better, it will only get worse. The more CC data is online, the more exposed you are, regardless of your efforts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Their anti-fraud software works a little too good sometimes. I had my card declined at a grocery store because I bought a gun off Gunbroker with it the same day. Chase VISA didn't even notify me, they just shut it down. I guess they figured I'd eventually call in to find out what happened.

Now I'm shutting them down. There are plenty of VISA companies out there.
    PatAz and Sister like this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Only once did we have a bogus charge on our credit card...

I've had it 3 times; all 3 were detected by my card's fraud group instantly before I even noticed.

First time: I stupidly dropped my card in a for-hire van going home from Denver International Airport. It was used to rent a car within minutes.

Second time: I used my card in a restaurant I had not been to for quite a while. The data was used to buy a $6000 first-class ticket to Singapore.

VIP Member
    When I traveled for a living, I'd get several bogus charges a year. Since retiring from that, I've had one bogus charge in the last 7 years.
    atctimmy likes this.

It happened to my sister last year.Almost $900.00.The female who did it,used it to make several purchases from some company called groupon,i think..She had some paper work she had to fill out at her bank.She said it wasn't as hard to get it cleared up as she was expecting.

I don't think she ever found out who was responsible,but they got caught obviously.They may have ended up telling her who it was,i don't know.The main thing is she got it cleared up pretty quick.That's what matters.She doesn't make much to begin with,and her husband is a cop,so he isn't raking in much himself.
    Sister likes this.

My remedy for fraudulent charges... keep my bank account overdrawn and my CC maxed out! The person who gets my numbers will be pissed they can't use them.

No really, I have had my debit card used fraudulently a couple times, they bank caught it before I even knew. My old card was deactivated and a new card issued within minutes. The card company took care of any issues and refunded my money.

VIP Member
    Happens all the time with our corp. cards .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    My GF is very hard to buy for so I decided one year to get her some gift cards at several stores that she shops at. Each card was in the neighborhood of $400 each, and at the fourth store I went to they promptly notified my that my card was rejected. I was dumfounded because I had never had any problems before. I called them up and they apologized, but informed me that what I had been doing looked like a stolen card activity. Now I just draw money out of the bank and use cash.

I've also had certain gas stations where the pump won't take my card and indicates "see attendant." One place that I used to get gas at quite often while in that town did that, so I went in to see the attendant. I said it wouldn't scan at the pump and could she scan it at the register for the amount I wanted. She couldn't do that but she did offer to hold my card until I was done ! I said no way, and found another gas station.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Last time my CC caused a "See Attendant" it was because some dummy punched in the wrong zip code. D'oh!
    nontechguy and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Several years ago I went on vacation in Europe for several weeks. I came back to find that 3 different cards (that I had not taken with me) had been used fraudulently. They got an all expense paid trip to Disney World, from the looks of it.

They knew exactly who used the cards, but the police didn't do anything about it. The individual was a boyfriend of the girl that cleaned my house. His name was all over the tickets that were bought with my card, but they had "no evidence". Right.

I think it wasn't worth the police's time to deal with it, and the credit card company reversed the charges, so everybody was "happy". Its no wonder why this keeps happening more often. As long as the credit card companies will eat the loss and pass it on, they don't care about really stopping the people who are committing the fraud.
    Sister and PatAz like this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    In early November my wife and I were at McDonalds and my card was not denied, it was not accepted. The bank was only 1/4 mile away so we stopped there to find out what the problem was. It card had been deactivated by the bank. Their fraud department discovered someone trying to use my card out of state at a gas station on a day I was at work. They shut down the card before the charge could go through. I had a new card in 6 days. I also have Lifelock and they didn't even notice. I am glad my bank was on the ball. What happened. Someone somewhere obtained my card number and made a duplicate that they were trying to use. Please keep an eye on your cards and those around you as you are making your Christmas purchases. The thieves are much smarter today than they used to be.
    Sister likes this.

A few months ago my wife's card were stolen, I have not canceled her cards yet because whoever got them spends less than she did.
    Anubis, WHEC724, archer51 and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links