RIP Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013

This is a discussion on RIP Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nelson Mandela has passed away, after a long illness. He was 95 years of age. Some good coverage from around the world: Front pages from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: RIP Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013

Nelson Mandela has passed away, after a long illness. He was 95 years of age.

Some good coverage from around the world:

suntzu and detective like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    One of but a few that really deserved the Nobel Peace prize. RIP
    Sister, WHEC724, suntzu and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A good man, it's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that he spent 27 years in prison for daring to demand to be treated like a human being.
    suntzu and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    The situation in South Africa is going to track what has happened in the U.S. since MLK passed.

The supposed heirs of Mandela's heart felt and hard earned philosophy regarding human rights will abuse it and use it, in his name, to acheive their own selfish goals. I wouldn't be suprised to see the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakan and Jeremiah Wright moving to South Africa to spread their disgusting race baiting hatred.

Now that the legitimate leader of anti-apartheid movement is gone, I suspect that "scavengers" will be hard at work manipulating the leadership vacuum to their advantage.

I hate to be so cynical, but I am not very hopeful for the future of South Africa.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    The situation in South Africa is going to track what has happened in the U.S. since MLK passed.

The supposed heirs of Mandela's heart felt and hard earned philosophy regarding human rights will abuse it and use it, in his name, to acheive their own selfish goals. I wouldn't be suprised to see the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakan and Jeremiah Wright moving to South Africa to spread their disgusting race baiting hatred.

Now that the legitimate leader of anti-apartheid movement is gone, I suspect that "scavengers" will be hard at work manipulating the leadership vacuum to their advantage.

I hate to be so cynical, but I am not very hopeful for the future of South Africa.
    Nope, not really. The succession has already happened, since Mandela hasn't been hands-on for a long time now. His successors in the ANC have so far proved to be interested in little more than enriching themselves at everybody's expense. It's just plain, old fashioned corruption over there--not an ideological push by one race to "get even" with another.

That said, I have to agree that there's little to be hopeful for in the future of South Africa. I think they'd have had more of a chance if Mandela hadn't been so old by the time apartheid ended.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    Nope, not really. The succession has already happened, since Mandela hasn't been hands-on for a long time now. His successors in the ANC have so far proved to be interested in little more than enriching themselves at everybody's expense. It's just plain, old fashioned corruption over there--not an ideological push by one race to "get even" with another.

That said, I have to agree that there's little to be hopeful for in the future of South Africa.
    You may be right, but my point was now that the much beloved "symbol" is physically gone, the trend that you identified will simply accelerate.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

That said, I have to agree that there's little to be hopeful for in the future of South Africa. I think they'd have had more of a chance if Mandela hadn't been so old by the time apartheid ended.
    To borrow a line from Braveheart, "The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots." Same goes for most countries, ours included. Too full of the people running it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, based on my study of the man, his philosophy and actions...

I would go against the grain here.
    Caertaker, OD* and Flfiremedic like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

As far as communist revolutionaries go, I guess he was one of the good ones.
    OD* likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

You try living in a real tyranny for a few decades (as opposed to the comical stuff we see here), then you get to nitpick his particular ideology. The man rid himself and his country of a terrible evil. That's good enough.

You try living in a real tyranny for a few decades (as opposed to the comical stuff we see here), then you get to nitpick his particular ideology. The man rid himself and his country of a terrible evil. That's good enough.
    When the particular ideology is responsible for over 70 million deaths worldwide, I wouldn't call it nitpicking. To be fair to Mandela, he moderated substantially before he came to power, but the fact remains that he started fighting evil by siding with a different evil.
    OD* and blitzburgh like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Exclamation

Let's keep the overt political discussions out of it, please. The man is dead. He helped to bring about great change in his country and is widely recognized for that. Nobody's perfect, and folks needn't defend (or appear to be defending) any of the distasteful aspects of his actions or achievements folks claim exist.

But this is about the eulogies to the man and why folks around the world are remembering his life, not a thread for vilification.
    Secret Spuk and ArmedWebGuy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Let's keep the overt political discussions out of it, please. The man is dead. He helped to bring about great change in his country and is widely recognized for that. Nobody's perfect, and folks needn't defend (or appear to be defending) any of the distasteful aspects of his actions or achievements folks claim exist.

But this is about the eulogies to the man and why folks around the world are remembering his life, not a thread for vilification.
    Apologies, but in the context of what you say, I feel compelled to respond that I think folks around the world are mis-remembering his life right now, and that I don't think he deserves the grand words. "Distasteful" isn't the word I'd use to describe the actions of the MK, which he co-founded and led. Having said that, respectfully, I'll abstain from further comments in your thread.
    Flfiremedic likes this.

How do you keep "the overt political discussions" away from a discussion about the death of a political figure? As for the "great change in his country," I wouldn't be so sure about that. Yes Apartheid was bad but it was replaced with a worse system that has mad everyone worse off.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    This is one man that was loved by many and will be remembered by many as well . I sure hope that the world remembers the good he has done and what he stood for .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links