Anyone else hate SAP

Anyone else hate SAP

This is a discussion on Anyone else hate SAP within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I believe that the SAP operating system for business has to have been designed by terrorist or some other country that hates us. I work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else hate SAP

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Anyone else hate SAP

I believe that the SAP operating system for business has to have been designed by terrorist or some other country that hates us.

I work as a factory rep and work in at least 6 different factory systems all day long, and several others on and off through out the day.

Two of the factories we rep, switched to SAP, both held off the conversion for one year while sister divisions struggled through getting their systems up and running and the bugs worked out.

Both systems are crap, now I only have access to the web portal into these systems, but the one that we don't have any more was just a whole other POS for a system, no tears over loosing that line, but the one we still have, SUCKS. It's cumbersome, and is terribly slow to navigate in. They converted November last year, a year after a sister division made the same exact conversion, and the list the other day of things still to do, is twice as long as the list of things done. Even once it is up to speed, it will still be cumbersome, with several steps to do what the old system's "magic screen" could do as fast as we could type in part numbers.

And this system is being sold everywhere, I have not talked to anyone that likes it. From what I'm told, it's supposed to be great for the bean counters, or the upper mgt, but for us working stiffs who have to trudge through it on a daily basis. SAP is a POS, IMHO.

What have you all found?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Holy crap someone else out there is as dumb as the government. I couldn't tell you how many hours I've spent cursing that system. Let's review an example:

Task: Retrive an engineering drawing

Old System: 1) Go to website, 2) Type drawing number, hit enter 3) Drawing shows up on screen.

SAP: 1) Go to SAP 2) Login with some password I never remember and must change every third week 3) Click 5 different pop-up "yes" boxes 4) Navigate through SAP to the "find" section 5) type in drawing 6) pick drawing from list that pops up 7) open in some random format

Process one takes about 10 seconds, SAP about 2 minutes...that's about 60 times longer. Bottom line the system is garbage.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Holy crap someone else out there is as dumb as the government.

I almost titled the thread "I've found something worse that the Govt" but changed it.

I know that a lot of people with extensive computer knowledge hang out on here, Is there a bright side coming to this program, or is the the next step in the evolution of programs.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

You've already hit the nail on the head... SAP is great for the bean counters and upper level management (meaning it has good reports). Since they're the ones that make the purchasing decisions, that's what you get!

The last company that I worked for was a successful business building warehouse and manufacturing floor software, designed to work the way the shop floor people need it to work, that tied to SAP in the background. The end user didn't even know that SAP was there. You have no idea just how backwards SAP is until you try to access their database directly!

SAP software is configurable to the Nth degree. That's why it takes a year to implement the system. Well, that and re-engineering processes that the company has that won't fit with SAP's philosophy. Anything that is generic enough to function in just about any situation will function very poorly in all of them.

SAP is a _highly_ successful company, selling a world renowned product at a premium price. Why would they change it?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Assistant Administrator
    Saw a SAP ad on TV just other day - you'd think it was the best thing since sliced bread - but what I am reading here and have heard from elsewhere - well - seems surprising they are in business.

Amazing what marketing can do :(
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The company I work for also uses SAP and so far I think the old one was far better than this thing. What I don't like about it is inventory control. They were saying it will help control everything so we will not run out of parts. LOL...

Now it will not throw up a flag until you completely run out. Well then it's too late cause I need the part now, not 2 weeks from now.

And like the others said,,, it takes twice as long to try to find something than typing what you want. LOL.

The software is from Germany. Correct that they are not our best friends.

It was designed to run automobile factories. My only exposure ( I'm in Sales) was at a Microwave Semiconductor factory. Go figure - the same platform to make cars and diodes??? Friggin' morons. I don't work there anymore and never did learn the software. I had enough people working for me that HAD to learn it.

It sucks and is likely a commie plot to further ruin our manufacturing industries.

really?

My exwife is an expert on SAP for her company. I didn't realize it was so hard. I guess with her husband, SAP and a boyfriend, one of us had to go. I now know it was ME!

Do you know what SAP stands for???

Stupid American People - You bought this piece of Sh...

Been working with it for years, and HATE it....

I don't know too many bean-counters that like SAP either, LOL. Tax Geeks certainly don't!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    On top of all that it is one of most expensive, if not THE most expensive software of its type.

The rest of my opinions of it cannot be printed on this forum.

bout as dumb as Micro$loth is getting. Well that's the free market if you don't like it do with out.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I work for a very large company. We have been implementing this gorilla over the past year. There is no one and I mean no one I know who likes SAP. It is the most cumbersome thing I have ever seen in almost 30 years at my company.

I get a kick out of the SAP television commercial. An unsuspecting guy says (hopefully and with a sense of optimistic expectation and anticipation) something like "you mean even medium sized businesses can own SAP?" Every time I hear him say this I want to say "No you can't afford it! Don't do it you'll be sorry!!"

SAP

from those wonderful folks who brought you WWII

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    There is a rumor going around my company that we will be migrating from JD Edwards to SAP by the end of '08. I'd just as soon leave well enough alone (having been through another SAP implementation several years ago with another company). Our segment of the company is very project oriented, but the majority of the company is in manufacturing, so SAP (or JDE) makes sense for them but not so much for us. The rumors have been going around for a while, so 5 years ago we took the initiative of installing a middleware project management solution that will allow us to interface with JDE and/or SAP. This will alow us continuity of operation regardless of the back end. Sure there will be problems switching over, but they should be more of a speed bump than a brick wall.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links