Amazing Quote by Thomas Jefferson

This is a discussion on Amazing Quote by Thomas Jefferson within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found this quote on this page: http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Quote by Thomas Jefferson

Amazing Quote by Thomas Jefferson

I found this quote on this page:

http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

-Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

I found it to be a profound statement.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here are some more from TJ:

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson

all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;
    ---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high virtues of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation.
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), Letter, September 20, 1810

Thomas Jefferson, generally in favor of the new government, wrote to Madison that a bill of rights was "what the people are entitled to against every government on earth."
    - A More Perfect Union: The Creation of the U.S. Constitution, The Bill of Rights

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson
    To bad we no longer have statesmen like Jefferson, Washington, Hamilton, Adams...etc....

...now all we have are ones like Clinton, Schumer, Feinstein, Kennedy & the rest of their ilk......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    To bad we no longer have statesmen like Jefferson, Washington, Hamilton, Adams...etc....

...now all we have are ones like Clinton, Schumer, Feinstein, Kennedy & the rest of their ilk......
    And these are EXACTLY the types they were trying to protect their new nation from!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    We need some TJs today!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    We need some TJs today!
    No truer words have been spoken
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I Agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I found this quote on this page:

http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

-Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

I found it to be a profound statement.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Games with a ball to violent
    Our Forefathers knew nothing about basketball, we should have taken these words to heart when the NBA was created.

Oh well, it just shows how wise the fathers of this country were.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Not to get off in a tangent, but where are our "leaders" today who can speak well, and move us? Not to mention speaking from the heart and working to further our country. I love my country, but I'm starting to lose faith in my government. They seem so bland, (not to mention unscrupulous). The American government has powerful roots; created by brilliant people. In reading past quotes and writings (to say nothing of studying the birth of our nation) and contrasting it with our leaders today (and in recent past), I am disappointed.

Pfeh. Another rambling discourse. At any rate, I guess what I am trying to say is that our country definitely needs powerful leadership. We have such a large, lumbering government now, that is concerned with pleasing special interest groups, not doing what is best for the entire country. I guess I want to be moved. I read the above quote by TJ and it invokes positive emotion. I'd like to see a presidential election where I don't have to walk up to the poll and choose whoever sucks the least, you know? I hate staring at a ballot and thinking "both of these slobs will be horrible presidents. Well, candidate X is probably less likely to run the country into the ground or start a thermo-nuclear conflict. I guess I'll go with him". I guess it is the nature of the beast. The parties select their "strongest" candidate and we (kind of) choose who gets to be president.

I didn't mean to hijack the topic of my own thread, but the brilliant quotes (and brilliant comments) inspired a rant. Thanks for reading.

(Oh, and I know that many of our founding fathers had less than a sterling personal life, but at least they gave us the Bill of Rights and the Constitution)

I'm certainly not trying to be subversive, but our government is supposed to be "by the people, for the people". I just don't feel that our current governing body fits that description.

I must remind you all that I am just a young'un who knows a little about a lot of things (and just enough to be dangerous).

Thoughts? Ideas? Flames?

I'm going to bed now.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

No, Exodus, you are right. You will find many of like mind here. We are patriots who long to be free from tyranny and inspired by our leaders.

"Thoughts? Ideas? Flames?"

Indeed. I have found that on this site you will receive much of the former and none of the latter.

Keep your chin up. Someday, it may be someone just like you who is called upon to do the inspiring.

Dave.

Yup, it's indeed sad what our choices of leaders are these days. Yes, TJ and many of the founding fathers had their own faults, as do we all. But they seemed to think through their actions and words as leaders and had a level of courage rarely seen today.

I love my country and gave her 8 years service but I'm appalled at where her culture is going and often sickened by the poor leaders.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I had a feeling I would find similar thoughts and feelings amongst our little corner of cyberspace.

I don't think you'd want someone like me to do the inspiring, Davy. Once I was on the inside,and privy to all the dirty little secrets, I'd probably lose it and strangle someone. 'Course that could be just what we need!

Seriously. Look at Congress. What kind of miracle would it take for us to elect a whole group of new Congresspeople who are intelligent, genuine and decent people?

Documentation has shown that the 2A was part of the checks and balance system of our government. The final check. Should the government get out of hand, and the circular checks between Executive, Judicial and Legislative branches fail, the people would have the tools necessary to take back their country (as our Founding Fathers won their initial freedom). There is definately more to the 2A than that, of course, but it is a large part of its existence, I think. Does anyone think that we may see this dark of a time in our lifetimes? I certainly hope not.

A single voice cannot fix this problem, but a hundred thousand single voices, shouting in unison can change history.

And thanks be to you and all the men and women, past and present, who have served our wonderful country, Cruiser.

So, any ideas?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    .....What kind of miracle would it take for us to elect a whole group of new Congresspeople who are intelligent, genuine and decent people?

So, any ideas?
    The first thing to do would be to enact term limits on Congress. We term limit the President & VP. Here in Va., we term limit the Governor to 1- 4year term. This would get rid of the people who look at getting elected as a career & stay for the rest of their lives on the public dole. (they're like welfare recipients who stays on welfare their whole life.)

President/VP= 1- 6year term
    House= 2- 2year terms
    Senate= 1- 4year term

Even the founding fathers understood this. Their intent was to leave their farm, business or job....go serve for a BRIEF PERIOD & return home to their life.

Another possible thing to do (in conjunction with term limits), is to make the Senate & House UNPAID positions (remember they make over $165K...The current salary for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $165,200 per year.) . That would get rid of the career politician & shorten the length of time they stay in session (they wouldn't be able to afford to stay in DC without money). The shorter they stay in session, the less they can effect our lives with worthless legislation.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The term limits is definately a good idea.

Another thing I have a problem with is when they do not participate in votes. Have you seen some of the attendance records for when Congress is in session? I wish I could show up for half the work YEAR and still get my full pay. Now we're (I'm) just ranting.

Terms. Gotta have limited terms.

Anywho. How do we, the people make such a thing happen?

Is it all Congress? Could an effective legislative branch be all we need? Presidents are easily replaced, sure, but when was the last good president? We've had a few high points, but I mean a really good president (whole term). Could a modern day Thomas Jefferson really do any good? Or do we come back to having to fix Congress.

Finally, implementing the limited term on Congress. We're sure that Congress will not do that to themselves. Would it be up to the Supreme Courts to impose this, or the President? I can't say that I know off hand, and it is too late for the research....Let's see who paid attention in Government (and has a better memory that I do).

Thanks for reading.

VIP Member
    I'm afraid our political woes are just going to get worse.

POTUS- No matter who is put into the White House, half of the country is going to hate him. Same with the members of Congress, half of them will really hate him, look at today's example......they really hate GWB.

Congress- This body won't change much without term limits. One cause is a lot of people like their congressman or senator, they think it is the others that aren't any good (they can't vote against the others).

Local government- Things in some places seem to be better on the local level than the national level. More people care about local stuff, so they voice their feelings more often. On the other hand, there is a LOT of corruption at this level. Just look at the schnanagins that some local governments have pulled regarding 'eminent domain'. Taking property from some & giving to others so that the local government gets more taxes!....instead of how it was intended, to take property for building roads & bridges.

SCOTUS- With a Senate the way it is, forget about getting any good PRO-2A judges nominated, much less approved. We all end up getting weak knee'd moderates who will see things in the Constitution that aren't there.

Lesser courts- Some judges are appointed, some are elected. Both methods are a result of politics. The elected campaign for it & the appointments are done by campaigners. Once in, they seem to want to legislate from the bench, rather than decide cases based on merits & the Constitution.

The PEOPLE- There is a large segment that is apathetic & don't care what's going on in government. The rest are so split that if one side says, 'The sky is blue.'...the other side will fight them on it.

END RESULT- Things won't get better any time soon. Without a major change like term limits, what are we left with? We can't easily sue elected officials or judges when they do something that is against the Constitution. As citizens, we have either the ballot box or cartridge box & a lot of the problem politicians are trying to take away the latter.......

No flames from me. No sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links