Contract security

This is a discussion on Contract security within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm pursuing a part-time job in security for college credit among other reasons. Does anyone here know anything about the reputation of SECURITAS security services ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contract security

Contract security

I'm pursuing a part-time job in security for college credit among other reasons.

Does anyone here know anything about the reputation of SECURITAS security services or their hiring rate?

Any others recommendations?
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

2. Remove Ads

I have heard that SECURITAS only hires ex-military and those w/ previous experiance.

Now once again that's what I've heard; I have applied there and never heard back from them.

It never hurts to give it a shot, from what I know they're a reputible company.

Are you going commissioned or non-commissioned?

Commissioned or non-commissioned?

Not sure, I didn't see anything on the application about either.
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Securitas will hire anybody !! And I really mean anybody.

No military background. Illegal alians. Convicted felons. Can't walk. Can't see. Can't hear.

Some of these people stand guard on things that nobody wants and no place that anybody wants to enter. They will only pay their top execs above minimum wage. Most of their "guards" have to wear a uniform(kinda) and I have never known one to be allowed to carry a weapon of any kind,especially a firearm.

Securitas has had their insurance company jump their butts quite a few times and has been threatened with the revocation of parts of their bond.

How do I know this ?? I have a friend that has a son that works for one of the companys that does security checks for companies such as Securitas. I was at a gathering that my friend had and was talking to his son. His son told me that they in fact don't like exmilitary cuz they "know too much".

Would suggest that you "talk around" before you sign on. ------

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Thought I remembered the name. They use to be Pinkerton (Pinkerton sold out). I applied with them once. I will never apply with them again. What a bunch of jerks. Don't waste your time.

Check out Wackenhut, Vance (mostly DC from what I remember), Loomis Fargo and Brinks. Also, check America's Job Bank (www.ajb.org), open an account and get a search going into private security (guards/officer) - follow their instructions and it should give you a very specific list of jobs near your zip code (most of abj.org's databases are linked to state employment offices from what I've heard).
    Last edited by cagueits; December 17th, 2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Conflictions...

I'm getting a lot of conflicting messeges about SECURITAS, I heard from someone else(who will not be named) that they start people out a $10-$11 an hour and their business practices are fair.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    SECURITAS has the contract for where I work. They seem to hire anyone that can draw breath. They do not have an age, weight, height, gender, intelligence restriction in there hiring guidelines. Oh… and English is not required. Like most security companies they will pay the least they can. The only benefit is that most of the time the job is mind numbingly boring and you can choose your hours.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

The Securitas branch in my town is made up by about the biggest bunch of losers I've ever seen (second only to Midwest Security). The company I work for has, in the past year or so, hired two former Securitas people...both of them were fired within a month for being totally incompetent dumbasses (one of them actually flunked the basic First-aid test if that tells you anything).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I worked in IT support at a college located in Boston from just before 9/11 until the Spring afterwards.

The college used Securitas for their unarmed security. Keep in mind, this was in the height of concern for additional terrorist attacks and the population of Arabs, Muslims and anti-American sentiment (not necessarily from the prior groups) in Boston area colleges is HUGE! Here's what I observed in the days/weeks after 9/11 on campus:

- Many of the Securitas "guards" were (male and female) well over 300#. They couldn't move to get out of their own way, never mind chase after someone.

- They were what I'd call "situationally unaware"!

- I saw an abandoned very large portfolio bag just leaning against a post in the main building lobby maybe 20' from the main guard desk. No concerns about same and nobody around it.

- I didn't get the impression that they were trained in any way. [I am a Reserve police academy graduate and served as a Reserve PO for 18 years.]

- I didn't get the impression that speaking English was a requirement for this job.

- They didn't dress the part of "professionals" and they didn't carry themselves that way either. The terms of slovenly or shloompy <sp?> seem to fit what I saw.

- They were armed with nothing more than a radio.

Somehow I don't think this is a very professional org. I'd look to Brinks or Loomis-Fargo first.
    NRA Instructor

Gave a wrong web link on my first post.

Correct link to America's Job Bank:

www.ajb.org

PS - for category, select "Protective Services"; then enter your zip code.

You can also fine tune your search - follow the link and the instructions at the webpage:

http://www.jobsearch.org/seeker/jobsearch/title

Been here Played this game I have worked for Securitas at a local factory. Job sounded kinda cool Security Patrol/FireFighter/ First Responder now mind you something like this "a specified job" are awesome and surprisingly they pay quite well I was making 13.00/hr starting off . Now just the Basic Security I.E. Gate Guards yeah their jobs suck usually the people suck I think i basic Hiring requirements for the Gate Guards is breathing and being able to catch their own slobber before it hits their shirt but then again they were getting paid 5.75 an hr also. Also Securitas will screw you any way the can you better not work any over time if you get a job with them, they will tamper with your time card and get out of paying it they did it to a whole shift of it and the corporate offices just said " Now that couldnt be possible !!!!!!"
    So job seeker beware if you like to babysit your co workers and wonder how they live on their own then this is the job for you if not run run forrest run

Securitas... It's a job.

Thats the most I can say about them. I'd rather look for other security work, personally.
    Beretta 92FS

They do 'security' for my company. Most are overweight and old, or just plain stupid in every way shape and form. They get paid $11-12/hr for sitting around in the guard office and giving out passes to get through the turnstyles to people who forget theirs. I think the most extensive thing they do is take a walk through the building once a shift to check a few locks on different things. Talking to one of the older security guards once, I asked him how he liked it and he said "its great, I can read a book or listen to the radio, and I know theres not a chance of anything happening".

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Most are overweight.
    Hey, don't knock fat people. I ran down a little perp across the complex I work at. I bet alot of people have never seen a fat man run for two hundred yards before

The perp even asked, "how the hell did you catch me?" My answer was simple, "I ran faster..." lol

Ah well, I realize most fat people couldnt run to save their life; bash on
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links