Curiosity blinded the cat

This is a discussion on Curiosity blinded the cat within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Early this morning, my wife and I awoke to a rather large crash in our kitchen. I would have sworn it sounded like someone had ...

Thread: Curiosity blinded the cat

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

Curiosity blinded the cat

Early this morning, my wife and I awoke to a rather large crash in our kitchen. I would have sworn it sounded like someone had smashed open the kitchen door. I hopped up, grabbed my brand new surefire and my weapon off the night stand, then proceeded to the hallway outside the kitchen. I could see that the door was closed, but something was laying on the floor. I aimed the light at it and turned it on blinding the perp... our cat. It seems she found where my wife hid the new package of her favorite toy mice, and knocked the whole thing over in an attempt to get at them. I held the flashlight steady for a few seconds, and she just stood there smack in the middle of the beam, staring back looking very surprised. (Deer in the headlights type of look) When I turned the beam off of her, she took off in a mad dash through the house banging into stuff as she went. LOL! I donít know how fast a catís eyes can adjust, but my night vision was ruined and I wasnít on the business end of the thing. Who would have thought a flashlight could be so entertaining.

2. Remove Ads

I would bet that was a sight to behold. Cats are kinda funny anyhow.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

If the toy mice are filled with catnip your cat was stoned by the time you got there

Assistant Administrator
    Nothing beats a laser spot for cat entertainment LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

One thing I hadn't thought about when using a light at night was the loss of night vision or perhaps just how much vision you loose.

I heard a noise downstairs one night and as I went down the stairs to investigate (I know... maybe I should have stayed put) it was so dark that I could not see the bottom of the stairs. I just tapped the switch on the light mounted on my Beretta and the areas lit by the light blinded me temporarily.

- Not good if there had been a BG around. (I never did find out where the noise came from.)

I still keep the light on the rail but the quick "on then back off" strategy might backfire if you illuminate something close by not only giving away your position but possibly hurting your vision more than the BG's (depending on where he actually is).

VIP Member
    Confession time........

About a year ago, I was in the middle of some serious varmint issues. I was losing chicken, ducks & turkeys to a wiley red fox. I used a carcass of one of the turkeys as bait. I hung it on a barbwire fence about 100 feet from one of the barns.

My intent was to catch the miscriant in the act of trying to get it untangled from the fence & shoot him. I also hung an empty coke can with a couple of rocks in it next to it. When he came after the carcass, the can would rattle, I would hear it thru the baby monitor on the side of the barn & respond........

So I set it up, put my AR15 by the door & went about my business.....just after midnight, I hear it.......YEA HAH, it's going to work! I go out the door, raised the rifle, pushed the button for the Surefire light mounted under the barrel & there are two eye balls staring back at me.............BANG!

I made one of the best shots of my life, I knew I'd hit it even though it was nearly 100 yards in the dark.

So I went looking for it...........I expected to find the carcass right there, but it wasn't there...........& it wasn't the fox, it was a cat that my wife 'inherited' from my sister!

(...before I go farther, the cat is alive & well today).

The cat had been banned from city life because he would climb on my sister's neighbors' cars. So he became a country cat. (he used up 8 of his lives though).

The bullet was a 55 gr ball (WWB), it entered the center of his chest from the front & exited under his shoulder blade. It hit NOTHING vital & didn't expand at all. Needless to say, I took the cat to the vet & 2 days later he came home & finished mending. He is fine today & you would never now it had happened.

Moral of this story.............I learned two things........

1) when using a firearm after dark, have a light bright enough the illuminate the target.

2) USE HOLLOW POINTS!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    If the toy mice are filled with catnip your cat was stoned by the time you got there.
    LOL, no she was still trying to get them out of the plastic.

One thing I hadn't thought about when using a light at night was the loss of night vision or perhaps just how much vision you loose.
    I have recently been paying more attention to this myself. I have taken to closing one eye, before hitting the light. That way, when the light goes off again, I can still see out of one eye. Granted, this has been for making late night runs to the bathroom or kitchen, but I can see it's value for low light SD scenarios.

goawayfarm....how did your wife react to the improved (i.e. ventilated) cat?

maybe the cat was trying to pull a "cheshire cat" disappearing act, like in "Alice in Wonderland"...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    goawayfarm....how did your wife react to the improved (i.e. ventilated) cat?
    She was the one who got it out from under the bush-hog in the barn, where it ran. She was glad the cat survived & I was glad I didn't have to explain it to my sister.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links