A nice conversation today

This is a discussion on A nice conversation today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went up to the local LGS to do a little 1911 shopping today and am feeling a little better about the world today. While the ...

Thread: A nice conversation today

A nice conversation today

Went up to the local LGS to do a little 1911 shopping today and am feeling a little better about the world today. While the young man behind the counter was showing me some Kimbers an elderly gent with a cane came in. Counter guy says excuse me and went to help him. The gent was wearing a Marine Corps hat and a gold Corps emblem on a chain. We got to talking and he was a retired Marine. Korea and Vietnam vintage. Couldn't walk without his cane and pretty frail. Wanted spare mags for his .40 so he could stay sharp with his shooting!!!

I admitted to not being a Marine but a cold war vet from USAF SAC for 8 years. We had a nice visit until the help came back. When finished the young man said, "See you later, Semper Fi". "You a Marine young man?" the old guy asks. "Yes sir, just got out a little while ago after my second tour in Falujah." We had a good visit after that of three vets from different eras. Young man and I visited some more after the old Marine left. I found that many of the struggles and frustrations I've dealt with over the years with things civilian were the exact same things he was dealing with. Won't go into all that here but I guess as long as there are older folks, middle aged folks and this new crop of vets around maybe things aren't completely hopeless. And if this is the quality of many young servicemen today I feel better knowing they're there.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    There are a lot of good young troops out there.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Assistant Administrator
    Pleasant encounter Eric - and my experience too has been similar a good many times.

Even with (most) youngsters, the passage thru service changes their perceptions on values and life in general - usually for the better.

Let's remember them all this Christmas, and always
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm Always Impressed...

with the young service men and women I meet. I really get 'taken back' when the youngsters I have dealt with in school (and not all great interactions) come back for a visit in uniform...proud...polite...and 'smarter' too...

Several times I have encounterd a young man/woman in uniform (perhaps with a date) in an eating establishment and secretly asked the waitress to pay his/her bill...only telling him "Thanks for serving...from somebody who appreciates what you do!" I always take my time eating and love to watch him...or her...look around and wonder who did that?...(almost, one of my favorite things to do...at my age, it's the least I can do...)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    with the young service men and women I meet. I really get 'taken back' when the youngsters I have dealt with in school (and not all great interactions) come back for a visit in uniform...proud...polite...and 'smarter' too...

Several times I have encounterd a young man/woman in uniform (perhaps with a date) in an eating establishment and secretly asked the waitress to pay his/her bill...only telling him "Thanks for serving...from somebody who appreciates what you do!" I always take my time eating and love to watch him...or her...look around and wonder who did that?...(almost, one of my favorite things to do...at my age, it's the least I can do...)

ret
    That same thing was done for me on a couple of occasions when I was in the AF; once in TX and once in FL. A third time was in AZ, but that was a waitress who also gave me her phone number. That is really cool.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Vets and current members always get big "Thank You's" from me. They earned them!

The daughter's BF is in OCS training, on top of a FT job and law school. The daughter also has several friends with spouses in the service, many have been or are on tours. They all, for the most part, appear to be a pretty phenomenal kids.

ret
    My wife and I do this a lot for the EMS and LEO's when we're out in our small town. The pay is low, the work dangerous and they are important. If we had service men and women around, that'd be a blast too - we just rarely see any here.

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    That same thing was done for me on a couple of occasions when I was in the AF; once in TX and once in FL. A third time was in AZ, but that was a waitress who also gave me her phone number. That is really cool.
    First off, as one of those younger men in uniform thank you retsupt99. I've had my meal paid for twice, and I really appreciated the gesture.

But I've got a really funny story about it too! My wife used to be a waitress, and one day after work I stopped by her restaurant on my way home. (I had to pick something up from her.) When I got there I realized that I hadn't eaten all day and that I was starving, so I decided to grab something light. About halfway through my meal my wife sits down at my table laughing.

One of my wife's other tables told her that they would like to pay for that Army man's meal. My wife kind of looked confused until they pointed me out. She laughed and said I was in the Air Force, not the Army, and that I was her husband.

They still paid for my meal and we all definately got a laugh from it.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post

One of my wife's other tables told her that they would like to pay for that Army man's meal. My wife kind of looked confused until they pointed me out. She laughed and said I was in the Air Force, not the Army, and that I was her husband.

They still paid for my meal and we all definately got a laugh from it.
    What a hoot! Hey, thanks for the service too!

Assistant Administrator
    Ken - great gesture - paying for their meal - love it.

It is rare indeed I see any mil folks round here but be assured - that is something when given the chance I will do with utmost pleasure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lew

ret

Glad to hear that I am not the only one doing that. Doesn't happen offen as I would like, but when I see soldiers in uniform eating where I eat, they eat for free. Just doing my part to let them know they are appreciated.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

When I am working at the bars, I always buy anyone who shows me a military ID to get in the door at least one drink usually several. One of the bars is accross the street from the tri-service ROTC building at Ohio State, so people in uniform are not uncommon as the officers and NCO's come over often after work. Some of them know me from when I spent about every waking hour I had in the building for a couple years. I hadn't thought of buying meals before, but the drinks are something I've done since I've been working at bars.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links