What I Got for Christmas (Attn: Photographers)

This is a discussion on What I Got for Christmas (Attn: Photographers) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My family and I celebrated Christmas this evening as circumstances force us to be apart for Christmas itself. I had asked for a Red Ryder ...

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

My family and I celebrated Christmas this evening as circumstances force us to be apart for Christmas itself.

I had asked for a Red Ryder BB gun, but had also mentioned a new digicam would be nice though I didn't expect anyone to buy one as they're expensive.

Dad felt it was his solemn duty to buy the exact model he was given at the GM plant for photographing the new trucks and such as part of his employment there. I had mentioned wanting a new one for articles as the one I was using was getting old.

My old one had digital zoom and 2.0 megapixels, and was several years old.

This new one, a Sony DSC-W30, is lightyears better. I can take closeup shots now as well, and that had been my main complaint about the old one.

As well, it is capable of taking movies with clear sound. It can play these back on its built-in screen, on the computer, or my personal favorite, through the TV. It has rendered at least two things of mine obsolete, the other digicam and the VHS-C recorder as I can make backups on VHS or, hopefully soon, on a DVD.

It also has a 3x optical zoom compounded by a digital zoom that will take it up to about 18x IIRC. I saw it, tried it, and disabled that digital zoom. I might change my mind when it's light enough to really focus in through the woods, but I doubt it.

I really have no idea how this compares to others on the market; I only know that I really like it and I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon.

Does anyone have any comments about this particular camera?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Assistant Administrator
    Don't know that model Josh but the newer breed of camera is generally light years advanced from a mere few years ago.

My first was a Casio back in 1997 - did OK but optics were crappy. Then got a Kodak which did OK but had too few options for manual settings. Now wife uses that and I use a Minolta DImage A1 which allows a lot of manual control.

Keep that digital zoom disabled - why they ever give it as an option I don't know - all it does is zoom in to the pic - so fewer pixels in final result - well, used to be the case. 3x optical should do fine.

Sony stuff is generally good so - reckon you'll have much more flexibility now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i got several different digital cameras. even my older ones work just as good as the new ones. it was a christmas gift, so be happy with it. as long as it takes pictures you cannot go wrong.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links