Is there something I should know?

This is a discussion on Is there something I should know? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I went to 3 different stores today and they were ALL out of magnesium fire-starters. The guy at Academy Sports said I was the third ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there something I should know?

I went to 3 different stores today and they were ALL out of magnesium fire-starters. The guy at Academy Sports said I was the third guy today to ask for them.

On a different note, anyone have any feedback on the St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa areas of Florida?
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I would suspect that there are no firestarters because people are getting the picture that they may need to start a fire to keep warm(Novel Idea). I have found that many stores only stock one or two during the year because they are not in great demand till the weather turns bad.

Go to an outdoor store such as REI, someplace that specializes in Hiking and Camping.

What Type Of Feedback...

[QUOTE=WorldPax;261855]I went to 3 different stores today and they were ALL out of magnesium fire-starters. The guy at Academy Sports said I was the third guy today to ask for them.

On a different note, anyone have any feedback on the St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa areas of Florida?[/QUOTE]

are you looking for?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    are you looking for?
    ret
    There's a potential job out there, so just looking for general "how's it to live there" kind of feedback.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Hot humid summers, mild winters interspersed with occasional hurricanes and lots of heavy traffic. No state income tax and very gun friendly. Plenty of water sports and hunting not too far away. Anything else you want to know?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    I thought everyone knew that Magnesium Fire Starters were the Hot Ticket Christmas Item this year.

well if you knew how to use one properly you could just win a million bucks .
    did everyone see the survivor showdown?

as for fire starters i figure keep one in all gloveboxs ,they are more likely to be lost than used up .

elance

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    On a different note, anyone have any feedback on the St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa areas of Florida?
    Find a current copy of the USA Places Rated Almanac and study it - chock full of tons of information.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elance View Post
    well if you knew how to use one properly you could just win a million bucks .
    did everyone see the survivor showdown?

as for fire starters i figure keep one in all gloveboxs ,they are more likely to be lost than used up .

elance
    No but I suggest the following: Keep a supply of dryer lint with your firestarter. Makes good kindling. And as a backup, a couple of Bic lighters!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    dryer lint works ok, but you need to really break it up , to allow it to breath to be effective.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I Guess I've Not Been Around Enough...

What's a magnesium fire starter?

Second point about Tampa and St. Pete...a great place to make use of your CCW...not a nice place at night...I speak of the downtown areas...
    Of course, that includes many of Florida's cities...Jax, Orlando, Miami, etc...
    Dirtbags like warm weather too!

Even in Gainesville, we've had home invasions and armed robberies in daylight during just the last few weeks...and these were in the 'nice' areas...

What a world...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You don't need them

Yes, they're handy, but you better know some other methods to get a fire going without them. Today is clearly a case in point (you've gone out to purchase one and they're sold out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUqXUR01y8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMR1TPns0Y

Here is a web sight you can read about Magnesium fire starters.
    http://www.b-n-d.com/5303-S016.htm

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It's that Y2K thing, wait what year is it?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Really, I suppose most people are just putting their BUG out bags together, since people are maybe realizing that the government can't wipe their nose they are getting ready for any contingency
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links