Pistol picture taking question.

This is a discussion on Pistol picture taking question. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been taking pictures for a while with both digital and 35mm film. Latley i have been trying to take pictures of all my ...

Thread: Pistol picture taking question.

Pistol picture taking question.

I have been taking pictures for a while with both digital and 35mm film. Latley i have been trying to take pictures of all my pistols and have them come out as nice as the ones I have seen here. I cant seem to do it. I have a bloody $600 camera and even in the "professional setting" the pictures come out really amatureish.

Can anyone suggest a ISO setting or something that will give me a clear picture without looking cheap. Its a 5.1 mega pixel camera so the clarity possibilites are there, i must just not have it set correctly.

Thanks
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    First off - let's not be too bothered about the megapixel figure. IMO it has little to do with results - all it means is the bigger the figure the more huge the poster you can print! Cameras seem to be sold on this as if it's the nirvana of camera features. If in fact mostly for web use a decent 2Mpix is adequate, if optics and features good.

ISO setting also should not be a major factor as it probably defaults to a reasonable lowish setting. Only if that is cranked up way too high will you get ''noise'' problems.

Main deal IMO is having manual over-rides. I cannot find any pre-determined settings that take care of all variables properly.

On my Minolta DiMAGE A1 - I can use manual for anything, as well as ''tweak'' settings in auto mode. Thing that does bug me tho is that it is using only 72 ppi.

I favor shooting with artificial light - lights being over a white sheet so as to diffuse and soften shadows. Then set white balance if possible. Follow that with a tripod mounting, smallest aperture, remote release and a shutter speed long enough to get the exposure right. Many of my pics finish up about 1.5 secs at f11.

Sometimes if settings allow, a tweak on saturation and contrast to suit subject too.

What is your camera? How much manual control? IMO for gun pics, auto everything sucks!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I built one of these, helps a bunch with lighting problems.
    http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I got the sony cyber shot D-10 its got alot of manual over rides and a "professional mode" but i diddnt see any shutter apiture settings but i may be over looking them too..

The light box is a great idea. I think i may do something like that eventually. Thanks for the link to the plans!!!

I always forget about lighting and shadows. I know it was taught to me in my photography class but i still forget. Most of the light in my house is artifical and is from a center mounted roof light source.
    I carry because I care.
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Assistant Administrator
    Gregg - I would be surprised, if it has some manual options, that shutter speed was not included.

I find these modern dig cameras are quite needy of much reading of manual and practical useage before getting to grips with all options. My Minolta has more buttons and knobs than a porcupine has quills
    Chris - P95

Back ground, Back lighting, N angle takes practice to get it right, practice with the digital then when you get it like you want it go with the 35 for permanent pictures, digital media is still in doubt as to just how long it will last.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Find the Macro setting, looks like a flower. Use that mode(close up) exclusively for anything less than 6 foot away. Natural light is best, but use a flash too(Unless you're getting glare off a shiney gun). Take multiple pictures, to increase the odds of a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Find the Macro setting, looks like a flower. Use that mode(close up) exclusively for anything less than 6 foot away. Natural light is best, but use a flash too(Unless you're getting glare off a shiney gun). Take multiple pictures, to increase the odds of a good one.
    Use bright overhead lights, like a fluorescent or flood, and turn off the flash. GET A TRIPOD. When you turn the flash off the exposure time increases ("shutter" stays open).

You can get pics like this:

Now look at this pic....with a long exposure, the cat is blurry cuz she moved:

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    May I comment. Need for Macro setting depends on camera a bit as sometimes a zoomed in pic from further back can actually do the trick. Plus - if say a 5 Mpix then gun can be other than filling frame and be cropped out for web use.

Natural light is probably best but - there is a convenience aspect. Is the weather right for that light perhaps. Even so diffusion is still desirable to soften shadows and reduce highlight burnout.

Flash even on a less reflective gun is often far from ideal - unless that too is diffused - perhaps by putting flash light thru some kitchen paper. Otherwise a ''hot spot'' is often the result.

Control of lighting is often the single most important ingredient. Oh and, IMO too - a background with no pattern - not even a fabric weave that shows too much - other than specific cases where it could maybe complement the subject matter.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Use a single colored background...much like P95 does with his pics.

It focuses on the object that is photograped and depending on the color can actually enhance the object.

Photographing effectively takes a certain amount of artistic ability. That is the difference betweeen a "stunning" photo and an "average" photo.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I took these this afternoon using the light box and an inexpensive 4.0MP Kodak Easy Share

HEY!! cool. you even have the gun that i wish to photo the Millenium (Pro) (when the bleeding thing arives, I hate out of state shippers that dont know you need to overnight guns!).

I think im going to get a nice color back drop, something cheap from wally and find some natural light and do some experiments. Thanks guys!!
    I carry because I care.

hmm tinfoil.. thats cool
    Wonder how my snake would react if I put him on tinfoil for some pics.

Actually it's one of those "Space blankets" you find in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart. I had to try it, came out pretty good. The orange poster board surprised me, looked better than I though it might. Looks cool in a negative view too.

Links