An Inconvenient Truth

This is a discussion on An Inconvenient Truth within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw it on DVD, I highly recomend that you rent it and watch it with family/friends. Movie's website: www.climatecrisis.net...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Inconvenient Truth

An Inconvenient Truth

I just saw it on DVD, I highly recomend that you rent it and watch it with family/friends.

Movie's website:

www.climatecrisis.net

2. Remove Ads

Why would we want to do that? It is full of lies!
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I've seen it and I can tell you that this movie is so badly researched and so full of pure B.S. that it isn't even funny.

Al Gore is a buffoon and fool. Every time he opens his mouth he contributes to the hot air he gripes about.

Take my advice, don't waste your money or time on this foolish movie.

Oh, and for someone who just moved off the Gulf Coast a little over a year ago and who went through Ivan, Dennis, Katrina and Rita, they were not caused by "Global Warming", they were just part of the natural cycle of hurricanes that the Gulf Coast has to put up with. The hurricanes get worse and then get better....it's a natural cycle. I can point to the fact that 2004 and 2005 were a couple of the worst years on record but, despite the dire predictions, 2006 was one of the calmest seasons on record. How can that be if Global Warming was responsible for the 2004 and 2005 seasons? Is Al Gore saying that we cut greenhouse emissions so much that the hurricanes couldn't form? Give me a break.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Could you guys point out, in a civil manner and without name calling (we all know he is a gun grabber), where are the lies with the enviroment changes/research? (I would like to do some research on my own about the subject)
    Last edited by cagueits; January 1st, 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Deleted repreated word "are"

There are plenty of places on the web to do research. I've printed off numerous articles on the subject and do not believe the hype that is being written about this subject. The earth has gone through climate cycles throughout it's existence. The problem I have with the movie is that it tries to suggest that Global Warming is primarily caused by mankind. It also suggests that most scientists agree with their assessment. That is simply not true. Their are thousands of scientists who disagree with the premise. About thirty years ago the same folks whipped everyone into a frenzy about Global Cooling and the coming Ice Age. You just have to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Just do a little research on the Medievel Warm Period (and the enviromentalist's conspiricy to "conveniently" forget it happened).

Doesn't it seem odd that glogal warming is caused by the post-industrial revolution activities of mankind, when the MWP went on for a couple centuries BEFORE the industrial revolution, and during that time, there was no discernable winter in europe?

Global warming is a function of man's massive ego, attributing to himself the power to alter the environment of the planet, while ignoring the real causes, like the clearly documented and predictable cycles of heating and cooling determined by the sun's own cycles of heating and cooling.

And, it's easier to control and manipulate the sheep during a perceived crisis.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Colorado's last two winters have been colder getting more, and more snow. As well as more rain in the summer time. Back to what it was like some 10 years ago.

I am not convinced we are causing global warming. If we are, then this tend would not be occurring.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Administrator
    Don't fall into the Gore Political Trap brother Global Warming is a global political tool.

The Earth is actually undergoing a cooling cycle & the warming trend is a natural spike in that cycle.

Please Do Click Here and all will be known to you.

Global Warming.....

I remember when I was a wee little boy and the crisis back then was acid rain. For all the hoopla and millions of dollars spent over that "crisis", I wonder what ever came of that?......

NOTHING!! It was a crock of BS! Just like the "Global Warming Crisis". 20 years from now we'll all be concerned over the newest world-wide crisis and we'll have forgotten almost completely about global warming...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

We go through normal cycles with the weather.

In the 1970, people were concerned things were getting too cold and now too hot. There is not enough information to say one way or another.

The earth has been around a long time and will continue for a long time. We might not but it will
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator

Post Common Misconceptions About Global Warming

MYTH 1: Global temperatures are rising at a rapid, unprecedented rate.

FACT: Accurate satellite, balloon and mountain top observations made over the last three decades have not shown any significant change in the long term rate of increase in global temperatures. Average ground station readings do show a mild warming of 0.6 to 0.8Cover the last 100 years, which is well within the natural variations recorded in the last millennium. The ground station network suffers from an uneven distribution across the globe; the stations are preferentially located in growing urban and industrial areas ("heat islands"), which show substantially higher readings than adjacent rural areas ("land use effects").

There has been no catastrophic warming recorded.

MYTH 2: The "hockey stick" graph proves that the earth has experienced a steady, very gradual temperature increase for 1000 years, then recently began a sudden increase.

FACT: Significant changes in climate have continually occurred throughout geologic time. For instance, the Medieval Warm Period, from around 1000 to1200 AD (when the Vikings farmed on Greenland) was followed by a period known as the Little Ice Age. Since the end of the 17th Century the "average global temperature" has been rising at the low steady rate mentioned above; although from 1940 – 1970 temperatures actually dropped, leading to a Global Cooling scare.

The "hockey stick", a poster boy of both the UN's IPCC and Canada's Environment Department, ignores historical recorded climatic swings, and has now also been proven to be flawed and statistically unreliable as well. It is a computer construct and a faulty one at that.

MYTH 3: Human produced carbon dioxide has increased over the last 100 years, adding to the Greenhouse effect, thus warming the earth.

FACT: Carbon dioxide levels have indeed changed for various reasons, human and otherwise, just as they have throughout geologic time. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution the CO2 content of the atmosphere has increased from a rate of about 0.2% per year to the present 0.4% per year. But there is no proof that CO2 is the main driver of global warming. As measured in ice cores dated over many thousands of years, CO2 levels move up and down AFTER the temperature has done so, and thus are the RESULT OF, NOT THE CAUSE of warming. Geological field work in recent sediments confirms this causal relationship. There is solid evidence that, as temperatures move up and down naturally and cyclically through solar radiation, orbital and galactic influences, the warming surface layers of the earth's oceans expel more CO2 as a result.

MYTH 4: CO2 is the most common greenhouse gas.

FACT: Greenhouse gases form about 3 % of the atmosphere by volume. They consist of varying amounts, (about 97%) of water vapour and clouds, with the remainder being gases like CO2, CH4, Ozone and N2O, of which carbon dioxide is the largest amount. Hence, CO2 constitutes about 0.037% of the atmosphere. While the minor gases are more effective as "greenhouse agents" than water vapour and clouds, the latter are overwhelming the effect by their sheer volume and – in the end – are thought to be responsible for 60% of the "Greenhouse effect".
    Those attributing climate change to CO2 rarely mention this important fact.

MYTH 5: Computer models verify that CO2 increases will cause significant global warming.

FACT: Computer models can be made to "verify" anything by changing some of the 5 million input parameters or any of a multitude of negative and positive feedbacks in the program used.. They do not "prove" anything. Also, computer models predicting global warming are incapable of properly including the effects of the sun, cosmic rays and the clouds. The sun is a major cause of temperature variation on the earth surface as its received radiation changes all the time, This happens largely in cyclical fashion. The number and the lengths in time of sunspots can be correlated very closely with average temperatures on earth, e.g. the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warm Period. Varying intensity of solar heat radiation affects the surface temperature of the oceans and the currents. Warmer ocean water expels gases, some of which are CO2. Solar radiation interferes with the cosmic ray flux, thus influencing the amount ionized nuclei which control cloud cover.

MYTH 6: The UN proved that man–made CO2 causes global warming.
    FACT: In a 1996 report by the UN on global warming, two statements were deleted from the final draft. Here they are:
    1) “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”
    2) “No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”

To the present day there is still no scientific proof that man-made CO2 causes significant global warming.

MYTH 7: CO2 is a pollutant.

FACT: This is absolutely not true. Nitrogen forms 80% of our atmosphere. We could not live in 100% nitrogen either. Carbon dioxide is no more a pollutant than nitrogen is. CO2 is essential to life on earth. It is necessary for plant growth since increased CO2 intake as a result of increased atmospheric concentration causes many trees and other plants to grow more vigorously. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government has included CO2 with a number of truly toxic and noxious substances listed by the Environmental Protection Act, only as their means to politically control it.

MYTH 8: Global warming will cause more storms and other weather extremes.

FACT: There is no scientific or statistical evidence whatsoever that supports such claims on a global scale. Regional variations may occur. Growing insurance and infrastructure repair costs, particularly in coastal areas, are sometimes claimed to be the result of increasing frequency and severity of storms, whereas in reality they are a function of increasing population density, escalating development value, and ever more media reporting.

MYTH 9: Receding glaciers and the calving of ice shelves are proof of global warming.

FACT: Glaciers have been receding and growing cyclically for hundreds of years. Recent glacier melting is a consequence of coming out of the very cool period of the Little Ice Age. Ice shelves have been breaking off for centuries. Scientists know of at least 33 periods of glaciers growing and then retreating. It’s normal. Besides, glacier's health is dependent as much on precipitation as on temperature.

MYTH 10: The earth’s poles are warming; polar ice caps are breaking up and melting and the sea level rising.

FACT: The earth is variable. The western Arctic may be getting somewhat warmer, due to unrelated cyclic events in the Pacific Ocean, but the Eastern Arctic and Greenland are getting colder. The small Palmer Peninsula of Antarctica is getting warmer, while the main Antarctic continent is actually cooling. Ice thicknesses are increasing both on Greenland and in Antarctica.

Sea level monitoring in the Pacific (Tuvalu) and Indian Oceans (Maldives) has shown no sign of any sea level rise.

QKShooter, without quoting your entire post in the interest of saving space, I will say that that was an excellent post.

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    another interesting read lol http://newsbusters.org/node/9498
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    QKShooter, without quoting your entire post in the interest of saving space, I will say that that was an excellent post.

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    MYTH 10: The earth’s poles are warming; polar ice caps are breaking up and melting and the sea level rising.
    You know I have one big problem with the "the sea level will raise and flood the coast" story. The polar ice cap is already a floating mass, as proved by they went under (N pole) it with a sub. So it is already displacing a equal amount of water, like a glass full of ice cubes and water the level will not change any noticeable level when and if they melt. This just goes to show that the panic driven scientist are not infallible.
    Which reminds me of the news story of when the "Global Warming" thing was first announced, one particular Bozo scientist went on record as saying that "I hope we have record heat and a lot of people will die, that will prove I'm right" Damn what a ignorant dodo.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links