More ATF Non-sense. Anyone else see/hear anything about this one?

This is a discussion on More ATF Non-sense. Anyone else see/hear anything about this one? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's a copy of a letter from Phil Chabot, owner of Pac-N-Arms in Maine to his Senator asking for help regarding the BATFE agent assigned ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By packinnova

Thread: More ATF Non-sense. Anyone else see/hear anything about this one?

Question More ATF Non-sense. Anyone else see/hear anything about this one?

It's a copy of a letter from Phil Chabot, owner of Pac-N-Arms in Maine to his Senator asking for help regarding the BATFE agent assigned to his IOI using a handheld scanner to scan the 4473's and A&D pages of his bound books.

http://cdn.freedomoutpost.com/wp-con...s-atf-scam.pdf

Small snippet:
    The first day of the audit, August 12, 2013, went as expected, with Bettencourt finding no
    mistakes in our inventory, although we found some mistakes in ATF’s records, which we helped
    Bettencourt correct. During the second and third day, August 13 and 14, 2013, Bettencourt went
    through my bound books with over 1,700 Form 4473’s (the form used when transferring or
    selling guns to individuals or police departments) and our Acquisition and Disposition (A&D) (the
    “index” of the bound books the Form 4473’s are in). Form 4473’s include such information as
    full name, birthdate, place of birth, address and social security number, as well as other
    personal identification information, and the A&D pages list every gun’s make, model and serial
    number along with the details of the person who purchased the gun and the person that the
    firearm was acquired from. Again, no mistakes on the part of my business were found. In short,
    our records were in perfect order, no small feat considering that each 4473 has more than fifty
    possible areas that can be cited for mistakes, each of which must be perfect.

Before the audit began, Bettencourt produced a handheld scanner, approximately the size and
    shape of a large marker. When Bettencourt began going through the bound books, he
    attempted to scan all of the pages and documents therein. I explained to Bettencourt that it was
    my belief that the law prohibited him from copying or scanning the bound books without my
    permission. I made it clear that I didn’t want him to scan the records of my customers (including
    multiple Federal agents and local law enforcement officers). Bettencourt responded by claiming
    that scanning the records was completely legal for him to do. I told Bettencourt that if he would
    provide a written and signed statement that it was legal for him to do so without my permission,
    I wouldn’t stop him. Otherwise he could inspect the books visually, as the law allows.
    Bettencourt vehemently refused to provide me with anything signed by him or other ATF
    authorities, and made the ridiculous claim that the records were the property of the ATF and he
    could do with them what he liked, and that if I kept refusing him, he would be back with an
    administrative warrant so that he could just take the records that I am bound by federal law to
    father and maintain. I again refused to allow Bettencourt to illegally copy my records, at which
    point he told me that I should be careful not to make the investigation about me, and that “my
    license depended on how well I worked with him”. This was clearly a threat intended to let me
    know that if I did not allow him to perform the illegal activity of copying my bound books, he
    would retaliate and that my Federal Firearms License was at risk.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Overbearing idiot!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    That is when you get your camcorder or smart phone out and start recording him breaking the law. It seems to me that video is the only way to deal with a "thug with authority". It really is a shame what our government is doing behind the scenes.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That is when you get your camcorder or smart phone out and start recording him breaking the law. It seems to me that video is the only way to deal with a "thug with authority". It really is a shame what our government is doing behind the scenes.
    Actually there is a way. Henry Bowman proved that out.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

BATFE is a solution looking for a problem. If they can't find one, they'll make one.
    Never get out of the boat....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    BATFE is a solution looking for a problem. If they can't find one, they'll make one.
    BATFE would not be a solution even if there were a problem.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    It needs to be defunded to the point where it can barely do it's job. Obviously they are way over staffed and have way too much funding if they have time to worry about anything other than catching criminals and smugglers.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Links