Need computer virus protection advice please

This is a discussion on Need computer virus protection advice please within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The guy we bought the computers from suggested getting Microsoft Security Essentials since my virus protection will be gone in the next week. I don't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Need computer virus protection advice please

VIP Member

The guy we bought the computers from suggested getting Microsoft Security Essentials since my virus protection will be gone in the next week. I don't want to pay $50 but would like to keep it around the $30> price and am getting one that will protect 3 computers. Need one for my and Mom's computer since both programs are ending about the same time. Went to wally world and the prices and brands were way too much for me to take in and I never saw the Microsoft Security Essentials there and not really sure what it is but we need something that is EASY to use and it would be nice to have one that would clean up the mess in them to keep them running faster.

Any suggestions, likes and dislikes?
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    I like Norton 360.
    Sister likes this.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Norton's is more than that but I think it can be used on 3 computers
    Sister likes this.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    AVG Free: AVG AntiVirus Free 2014 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    Avast: Avast Free Antivirus 2014 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

IT admin here. I've used these two for a long time and they have served me well and are not resource hogs. If you are running at least Windows 7 with your firewall on and one of these you should be good to go.

THERE IS NO NEED TO PAY FOR AN ANTIVIRUS THAT WILL BOG DOWN YOUR COMPUTER WORSE THAN A VIRUS
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    AVG Free: AVG AntiVirus Free 2014 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    Avast: Avast Free Antivirus 2014 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

IT admin here. I've used these two for a long time and they have served me well and are not resource hogs. If you are running at least Windows 7 with your firewall on and one of these you should be good to go.

THERE IS NO NEED TO PAY FOR AN ANTIVIRUS THAT WILL BOG DOWN YOUR COMPUTER WORSE THAN A VIRUS
    It admin here as well.
    Heed this advice..
    Nuff Said.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

IT here as we'll. Good advice above. Feel free to PM me Sister and I will be happy to help.
    Sister likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Ex IT guy here...

Agree with the above.

Norton will slow your computer D O W N... Many others will as well.
    Sister likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    As mentioned by LimaCharlie, Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and it is used by IT professionals as well. AVG, as mentioned, is also a solid choice that is used by IT professionals and has a very good track record in its efficacy.

A poll taken on a tech forum called Broadband Reports (the most recent poll was in 2011 - [POLL] Anti-Virus software - 2011 Member Choice - Software | DSLReports Forums )

If you want to delve into the particulars of the testing of AV software, there are some easy to understand publications from one of the AV testing groups out there, AV-Comparatives (a suggested read is their Security Survey 2014): AV-Comparatives Independent tests of Anti-Virus Software AV-Comparatives

Good luck in your search!
    Sister and LimaCharlie like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Wow! This is hitting the jackpot with IT people, I'm feeling lucky

Thanks y'all, that will save me money I didn't have. BTW, the guy that sold me this computer also said I need to remove whatever is on there first. What are the chances of something getting into my computer in between time, or should I download one of the free programs and then remove whatever the other one was? Please dumb it down so I can understand, computers are not my thing and no kids to help!
    finst3r likes this.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    The guy we bought the computers from suggested getting Microsoft Security Essentials since my virus protection will be gone in the next week. I don't want to pay $50 but would like to keep it around the $30> price and am getting one that will protect 3 computers. Need one for my and Mom's computer since both programs are ending about the same time. Went to wally world and the prices and brands were way too much for me to take in and I never saw the Microsoft Security Essentials there and not really sure what it is but we need something that is EASY to use and it would be nice to have one that would clean up the mess in them to keep them running faster.

Any suggestions, likes and dislikes?
    Buy a Mac. Seriously. That's about the only thing that really protects against viruses.
    ghost tracker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Wow! This is hitting the jackpot with IT people, I'm feeling lucky

Thanks y'all, that will save me money I didn't have. BTW, the guy that sold me this computer also said I need to remove whatever is on there first. What are the chances of something getting into my computer in between time, or should I download one of the free programs and then remove whatever the other one was? Please dumb it down so I can understand, computers are not my thing and no kids to help!
    True.
    AV software WILL NOT play well with other AV software.
    Download the new one <AVG I'm Assuming> uninstall the old one, reboot, install the new one, reboot.
    As long as you aren't surfing the web while doing this, you should be good to go.
    If you are really concerned, just unplug your internet connection after downloading, then reconnect afterwards.
    LimaCharlie and ksholder like this.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    True.
    AV software WILL NOT play well with other AV software.
    Download the new one <AVG I'm Assuming> uninstall the old one, reboot, install the new one, reboot.
    As long as you aren't surfing the web while doing this, you should be good to go.
    If you are really concerned, just unplug your internet connection after downloading, then reconnect afterwards.
    Good advise, but usually any antivirus program that is downloaded is just and executable that will need to get out to the internet to finish installing. Like finst3r said, just don't be browsing the net before your new one is installed and you should be golden.
    finst3r likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Good advise, but usually any antivirus program that is downloaded is just and executable that will need to get out to the internet to finish installing. Like finst3r said, just don't be browsing the net before your new one is installed and you should be golden.
    Ok, just looked and found the uninstall page and I think it's the McAfee Internet Security, that looks like the only thing that will be the virus protector. So I uninstall that and then download the other ones?

I would feel safer if I kept the McAfee and installed the other one and then remove the McAfee. The reason was at first I tried LimaCharlies link and it wouldn't install for some reason or another. I'd hate to be left without anything on here. I am now going with the AVG but what if it won't install either? My program is Windows 8 if that helps.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    Bump.

I would feel safer if I kept the McAfee and installed the other one and then remove the McAfee. The reason was at first I tried LimaCharlies link and it wouldn't install for some reason or another. I'd hate to be left without anything on here. I am now going with the AVG but what if it won't install either? My program is Windows 8 if that helps.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links