I Just Cut the Cord to the Idiot Box

This is a discussion on I Just Cut the Cord to the Idiot Box within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I finally did it. I've been contemplating getting rid of TV service for quite some time and today I finally did it. I had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: I Just Cut the Cord to the Idiot Box

I Just Cut the Cord to the Idiot Box

Well, I finally did it. I've been contemplating getting rid of TV service for quite some time and today I finally did it. I had switched over from Directv to Comcast about 2 months ago and everyone in the family hated it. So, yesterday, the Mrs. and I were in Best Buy, were approached by one of the Directv reps and decided to switch back. They set everything up for a Monday install and away we went. Today, I very happily turned in all of our Comcast boxes. Well, my wife calls me right after I get back to the house and says "Directv called and cancelled the install because we aren't considered "new customers" and won't be for another 2 years. I thought about it for about 30 seconds and decided it was now or never. The money savings will be nice, but I'm really just looking forward to not having our family time revolve around the idiot box.

I did, however, immediately regret my decision when I realized the Justified season finale isn't until next week.

Oh well, at least I didn't do it before the Walking Dead finale. I never would have made it out alive.

2. Remove Ads

You can always catch the finale on the interwebs.
    Calvito, CWOUSCG and Curzyk like this.

We got rid of cable/satellite about 14 months ago and it may be the best decision we've yet made. I didn't care about the cost, we were just tired of paying for crap programming. We now get great programming off of MeTV, Cozi, AntennaTV, etc., and it doesn't cost a dime.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. CNN, Fox News, etc., are nothing but brain rot. The ONLY thing that we occasionally miss is TCM but it is easy to compensate.
    Calvito likes this.

We keep the TV and subscriptions to sports channels because we are sports nuts. Most other shows I can get on HULU, Amazon, or Netflix.
    Calvito likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

We've never had cable. We get a few channels with an antenna, and that's enough for us.
    Calvito, EdJean and pgrass101 like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    I don't watch a lot of TV. Walking Dead, some news, occasionally sports. Often I shut off the TV and listen to Pandora.

It's quite peaceful when the idiot box is not blaring.

I expect you will find that you don't miss it all that much.
    Calvito and Sister like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I don't think I'm going to miss it too much, but I'll probably have a mutiny on my hands come summertime. With two bored teenagers and a 3 year old, it should be interesting. At least I can still get my Auburn football games with Comcast internet. Maybe I'll get Netflix and Hulu for the kids this summer.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    Netflix is great, especially because you can stream it now instead of just having to order the DVD's. I bet you won't miss tv either.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

We did away with Dish. I bought a Roku and stream Amazon and Netflix they each cost $7.00 a month. The wife has a small tv with an antenna she watches the local news. We were paying $130.00 to Dish and now pay $14.00 per month and get better programming and movies. We watch a movie with dinner each night. I don't do sports so it was easy. The documentaries are great.
    niks, Calvito, pgrass101 and 2 others like this.

I got rid of Direct TV last week. Going to use Apple TV. All you have to do is buy the receiver and it comes thru your internet.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    We did away with Dish. I bought a Roku and stream Amazon and Netflix they each cost $7.00 a month. The wife has a small tv with an antenna she watches the local news. We were paying $130.00 to Dish and now pay $14.00 per month and get better programming and movies. We watch a movie with dinner each night. I don't do sports so it was easy. The documentaries are great.
    Do you need a Roku box for each t.v. or does one unit accommodate multiple t.v.'s?
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    There are a few shows I like that are only available off the satellite and other than the 600 “sports” channels we have to pay for and never watch we have had good service from Direct TV.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Calvito View Post
    I don't think I'm going to miss it too much, but I'll probably have a mutiny on my hands come summertime. With two bored teenagers and a 3 year old, it should be interesting. At least I can still get my Auburn football games with Comcast internet. Maybe I'll get Netflix and Hulu for the kids this summer.
    Quite a few years ago when my kids were young I shut it all off. They went thru a withdrawal phase but it didn't last long. They soon found all kinds of things to occupy their time, healthier even. It was very gratifying to watch the transformation. But then my fishing season started and when I came back I found the ex had turned the boob tube back on. Sigh..... All those positive gains lost and I was back to square one.

Distinguished Member
    Good for you!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    It's my XM Radio I'm nuts over. I love the talk stations (not really news but Christian and doctors talk station) plus non stop music from whatever generation I wish. Couldn't say enough good about XM Radio. My family has discussed cutting the TV cord for all the same reasons listed above, nothing but junk on TV and a lot of it embarrassing and way more stuff that people do that I really don't wish to see (how was that for keeping it clean)?! Another bonus about XM is that you can walk around the house, get things done and still listen without just sitting there like a bump on a log.

There are a lot of great shows you can get on the computer and this is why my last computer I decided to get a desk top with a larger screen (23", not too big but big enough). I'm sick of paying for and supporting the networks, they sure don't support many clean decent shows and the reality shows are the pits IMO.

What is Roku? Is it a TV, is it a computer, is it a machine I haven't heard of yet? Is it the same thing as a smart TV? I'd love to know because all the internet does is say if it's better than something else and I don't know what either of them are. I googled it and still don't know what it is.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links