Watching the movie Pearl Harbor

This is a discussion on Watching the movie Pearl Harbor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've seen it a couple of times, but it still really upsets me to see any Americans attacked. Takes me back to September 11th 2001. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By superdamian11
  • 1 Post By WebleyHunter
  • 1 Post By WebleyHunter

Thread: Watching the movie Pearl Harbor

I've seen it a couple of times, but it still really upsets me to see any Americans attacked. Takes me back to September 11th 2001. It turns my stomach. It was the reason I joined the military in 2003. Can't stand to see this great country under attack.

I know its just a movie, but the premise still makes me sick...
    rockinglock32, Sister and CWOUSCG like this.

Yes- The movie is very powerful!

I do, however, get a chuckle when they show "destroyer row" taking some hits and the ships are all '70 & 80's mothball specials with modern superstructures and radar antennas.

Kinda like all the Model 92 and 94 Winchesters in the 1870's period western movies.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Yeah, you gotta love Hollywood. It is entertaining, but still makes me angry what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Yes- The movie is very powerful!

I do, however, get a chuckle when they show "destroyer row" taking some hits and the ships are all '70 & 80's mothball specials with modern superstructures and radar antennas.

Kinda like all the Model 92 and 94 Winchesters in the 1870's period western movies.

I have often wondered what two hours worth of warning would have done to the outcome. Imagine all fighters aloft, along with all ground and ship based AA batteries fully manned and ready to go.
    maxwell97 likes this.

I agree. Movies can be important - they can make us think about things that are too easy to lose sight of, day to day.

One that always gets to me is Black Hawk Down, in particular the portrayal of Shugart and Gordon. I've seen that movie many times, and that sequence has made me both sad and angry, every time.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Links