Going back to smoking.

Going back to smoking.

This is a discussion on Going back to smoking. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It will be jerky, ribs, brisket and maybe another turkey. Iíve used charcoal smokers before and had good luck but I can no longer find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Going back to smoking.

VIP Member

Going back to smoking.

It will be jerky, ribs, brisket and maybe another turkey. Iíve used charcoal smokers before and had good luck but I can no longer find the natural charcoal around here and I have had poor luck maintaining a proper temperature using the briquettes. My roommate was at Samís Club the other day and saw this nice propane powered smoker, since it looks like the temperature looks like it will be easier to control I thought it might be worth a try. This is where it gets good, the price listed is $279.95, a little pricey but I decide I will go ahead and get it. I take the slip to the cash to the cashier and surprise, surprise Samís Club has lowered the price to $249.95, now that is nice but the cashier informs me that if I apply for and am approved for a Samís Club credit card they will take off another $40.

All in all I walked out with a nice smoker for $226, after the gun show in Fayetteville I stopped by Gander Mountain and picked up some jerky seasoning, now I just need to refill the propane tank and pick up some meat and get back to smoking.

Smoke Hollow Pro Series LP Gas Smoker - 44" - Sam's Club
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I reckon we can give you a pass seeing as how you're a veteran all. Just don't let me hear about you using gas instead of charcoal to grill...
    I hope your new smoker serves you well (and I almost forgive you for sucking me in with the clever title). Have you ever thought of politics?
    Aceoky, msgt/ret, CWOUSCG and 1 others like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpationsĒ Ė James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    I have natural gas for my outside grill , i love it . I place soaked wood chips in a stainless steel tray . And i never have to fill up the bottle or run out . Sorry its not the most authentic way but the food still taste great . And i do ike smoked meats congrats on your new toy .
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Sounds like you might be a candidate for a DIY brick BBQ smoker project.

Something like this: Wilbur D. Hog pit.

Bama61, gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I used charcoal for years and it was always timed ready by the number of beers I drank before spreading them out for grilling. Since I got lazy and went to a gas grill, I get confused with my beer. I guess it just takes more practice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I reckon we can give you a pass seeing as how you're a veteran all. Just don't let me hear about you using gas instead of charcoal to grill...
    I hope your new smoker serves you well (and I almost forgive you for sucking me in with the clever title). Have you ever thought of politics?
    Charcoal only for the grill.
    gatorbait51 and Caertaker like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have a charcoal grill, a natural gas grill, and an electric grill. Which one gets used is dependent on the weather and the amount of beer I want to drink.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Now see? You guys have made me hungry. I'm going to have to slap some meat on the Big Green Egg now.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Now see? You guys have made me hungry. I'm going to have to slap some meat on the Big Green Egg now.
    I'm planning what to cook now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I am getting ready to bring out the Smoker next weekend while I start my vacation..not sure what im gonna do yet..our normal favorite is ribs(dry rub) and a turkey breast...Hopefully next Sundays weather holds out for this!

Oh and mine is gas..I dont want to mess with charcoal/wood and trying to maintain heat at a certain temp with that. Just not fun..my friend has one of those big 50 gallon barrel ones he made years ago..and while it makes good food he has to tend/mess with his much more than I do mine especially to maintain temp.. and he even admitted as much that mine was easier and the food tasted the same in the end lol. He just does a lot more food than i do he does parties all the time..im never cooking for more than 6-8 max..he will do parties where he does 25+ people.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sounds like you might be a candidate for a DIY brick BBQ smoker project.

Something like this: Wilbur D. Hog pit.

if i ever got to a place I know I could call home for the rest of my life id build that in a split second thats awesome!
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I am thinking this year I am going to be making me a "reverse flow smoker" on a trailer. I am still trying to figure out how to do an automated wood loading and light method. I love to smoke, don't like getting up every 2-3 hours to add wood or make sure the smoking is going well. On the plus side I LOVE electronics and micro-controllers and I think I can work up some nice system.
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    I am thinking this year I am going to be making me a "reverse flow smoker" on a trailer. I am still trying to figure out how to do an automated wood loading and light method. I love to smoke, don't like getting up every 2-3 hours to add wood or make sure the smoking is going well. On the plus side I LOVE electronics and micro-controllers and I think I can work up some nice system.
    I'm betting the traveling BBQ dudes would love such a thing. A turnkey, automated, bomb-proof BBQ/smoker system suitable for towing via trailer or in pickup truck bed. Might have a hot product, there. Could easily be bricked in, at a home, as-is, for a custom, finished look. Rival the price of the larger propane thingies that can be had at the hardware stores, and I think you'd have a winner.
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not to hijack ur tread but i got tired of babysitting a fire and bought a Traeger pellet smoker couple years ago. Fill it with whatever flavored pellets you like, set the temp, go round-up the fence line, mow the yard, shoe the mules, then sit down to some great bar b q..
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I used charcoal for years and it was always timed ready by the number of beers I drank before spreading them out for grilling. Since I got lazy and went to a gas grill, I get confused with my beer. I guess it just takes more practice.

You just need more beer.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links