Frustrated with ISP... email problems.

This is a discussion on Frustrated with ISP... email problems. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm wondering if any of you IT types out there might have any idea what else I might try to get my email working. My ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Longstreet

Thread: Frustrated with ISP... email problems.

I'm wondering if any of you IT types out there might have any idea what else I might try to get my email working. My internet connection is fine, and my email will receive fine, but it will not send from outlook here. My DSL modem started to malfunction (dropping the connection) so they sent me a new modem. I thought the problem must be with the new modem, because it started when I installed it. The ISP tech support guys say that's just a coincidence, though. They say they've done a big server migration having something to do with POP3, and this problem is as a result of that. It has been 6 days, and they have been unable to resolve the problem. We have tried all different kinds of email settings and such, without success. Just for grins I hooked the old modem back up, and it does the same thing, so they must be right about it being a coincidence.

Here is the kind of message I get back when the sent messages bounce:

'bobandlarry10@comcast.net' on 4/1/2014 6:31 AM
    Server error: '4XX X.X.0 <bobandlarry10@comcast.net>... Relaying temporarily denied. Cannot resolve PTR record for 9X.1XX.1XX.1XX'

It is some variation on this same theme no matter what settings we use. I masked some of the numbers because I don't know if this information contains anything I shouldn't put out there. I'm just not knowledgeable about these things.

Anyone have any ideas to maybe put the ISP tech folks on the right track here?
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

VIP Member
    I got rid of Outlook Express way back when I still had dial-up internet. I have no use for Windows Live, either.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Change your outgoing server port to 587. It is under Account Settings -> The Account you are using -> More Settings -> Advanced Tab.

POP3 is incoming, so that's not related to your outgoing problem. Make sure your server name for SMTP is: smtp.comcast.net and use port 587.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Try this link: Using Email Client Programs with Comcast Email

To configure an email client to use Comcast email (@comcast.net), the following settings should be used for sending and receiving email:

Recommended / Only If Needed
    Incoming Mail Server - Name: mail.comcast.net / mail.comcast.net
    Incoming Mail Server - Port Number: 995 (POP3) / 110 (POP3)
    Outgoing Mail Server - Name: smtp.comcast.net / smtp.comcast.net
    Outgoing Mail Server - Port Number: 587 (SMTP) / 465 (SMTPS)
    SSL Encryption: checked / checked
    Authentication: Comcast ID and Password required

Email Clients
    If you use one of the email clients below, you will need to change your email program settings to send email on port 587. Click on the name of your email client to get detailed setup instructions and to change your settings:

Outlook Express
    Outlook 2003
    Outlook 2007
    Outlook 2010
    Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail
    Windows 8
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    Mac Mail
    Eudora
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I'm wondering if any of you IT types out there might have any idea what else I might try to get my email working. My internet connection is fine, and my email will receive fine, but it will not send from outlook here. My DSL modem started to malfunction (dropping the connection) so they sent me a new modem. I thought the problem must be with the new modem, because it started when I installed it. The ISP tech support guys say that's just a coincidence, though. They say they've done a big server migration having something to do with POP3, and this problem is as a result of that. It has been 6 days, and they have been unable to resolve the problem. We have tried all different kinds of email settings and such, without success. Just for grins I hooked the old modem back up, and it does the same thing, so they must be right about it being a coincidence.

Here is the kind of message I get back when the sent messages bounce:

'bobandlarry10@comcast.net' on 4/1/2014 6:31 AM
    Server error: '4XX X.X.0 <bobandlarry10@comcast.net>... Relaying temporarily denied. Cannot resolve PTR record for 9X.1XX.1XX.1XX'

It is some variation on this same theme no matter what settings we use. I masked some of the numbers because I don't know if this information contains anything I shouldn't put out there. I'm just not knowledgeable about these things.

Anyone have any ideas to maybe put the ISP tech folks on the right track here?
    The thing about the PTR record lookup might be something they want to look into. Something is wrong with their PTR records in DNS or something. Might be related to their supposed migration. Just a thought without knowing their actual infrastructure.

A PTR record is basically a reverse record of your IP address. So it sounds like you try to send a message out to x server. When your mail client attempts to connect to comcasts mail server the server does a reverse lookup and doesn't find anything matching your address in DNS so it rejects the message. Basically it says I don't recognize you so screw off.

Do you know if the WAN IP of your DSL modem changed recently? I'd send them the message you posted here and make sure they pay attention to the PTR record part.

Edit:
    So for example lets say your WAN IP address that Comcast may or may not assign you is 68.160.10.254. When your mail client attempts to connect to comcasts mail server that server will probably try to do a reverse lookup on the address being presented to it. It will look for a record in comcasts DNS that looks like 254.10.160.68.blahcustomernetowork.comcast.net. If it doesn't find that record, it will most likely reject your attempts. That's just a guess though as a non comcast employee without any actual knowledge of comcasts network.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Buy stamps. It's harder to drop mail that way--the stamps are sticky.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Buy stamps. It's harder to drop mail that way--the stamps are sticky.
    I wonder what all of my email pals would say if the only response they ever got from me was via snail mail? Heh.

Thanks for the help, all. These settings worked. Don't know how they got messed up. I never changed anything, but something changed when I put in the new modem.

Those of us that are relatively computer illiterate very much appreciate those of you that are knowledgeable about such things!
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Links