I got caught invading my parent's home last night

This is a discussion on I got caught invading my parent's home last night within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As most of ya'll know, my parents passed away in 2012. They lived in a massive house that has taken us this long to sort ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: I got caught invading my parent's home last night

VIP Member

As most of ya'll know, my parents passed away in 2012. They lived in a massive house that has taken us this long to sort through, have an estate sale, and are now having sub-contractors do some repair and improvements so we can get it on the market.

I live right next door, so the brunt of the work tends to fall on me. Every night, I go lock up after the contractors leave for the day (usually with lights on and doors open). Last night I went in through the basement door, and even though it was unlocked, it immediately tripped the alarm (apparently our agent gave the alarm system code the the subs? . Anyway, I quickly turned it off and went about my business of closing up the house. Normally the alarm company calls my cell phone first when the alarm gets tripped, but if I turn it off quickly, sometimes they'll assume it was an accident and not call. This time there was no call. As I was upstairs turning off lights, I heard the alarm chime that goes off whenever a door is opened. It freaked me out, so I was hoping that I had left the basement door ajar. Plus I had my trusty G30 with me (and a head lamp because I was also doing some work in a dark crawl space).

As I go down to secure the basement area (several doors down there), I had just turned off the lights as I was walking into the garage, when I saw a tall, bald figure standing in the garage. He was just standing there (said nothing), and I put my hand on the grip of my G30, as I noticed the outline of a microphone strapped to his shoulder. At that point, I could make out faint details of his uniform. I quickly said something like "wow officer, you scared the crap out of me" and stood there with my hands up and to my side with my palms out. He was good; He calmly asked who I was and what I was doing there. I also informed him that I had a permit and was carrying, at which point he asked for me ID. He told me to stay right there while he called it in and verified that the house was in my name. He then pieced together that I lived next door, which explained why there was no vehicle parked outside. I thanked him for his responsiveness, apologized for the false alarm, and we both went on our way.

Now think about it from his perspective; He gets a call on a break-in and arrives to find no vehicles at the home (I live next door and walked over). He then discovers a guy with a headlamp on, walking through a dark house. It turns that that door chime that I heard was him walking through a sliding glass door on the first floor while I was turning off lights on the second floor. Yup, we were both armed, clearing the house at the same time and missed each other.

So between an agent giving out the alarm code to a sub-contractor, and the security monitoring service calling the police without calling me, something really bad almost happened. I'm not even sure the point of sharing an event like this, other than you never can make assumptions on your environment.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I think you were thinking clearly and handled that right. The officer was a cool customer too. Good to know you have guys like that on your force.
    WHEC724, molleur, RickyD and 1 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

You a lucky duck. (meaning avatar, not a violation of rules)
    That could have gone bad in a lot of different ways... now for you to figure out how to make it safer?
    Maybe call the alarm company if they don't call you?
    gatorbait51, molleur and WHEC724 like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

VIP Member
    Wow! That could have gone sideways and really ruined your day. Thankfully you have this story to tell and not something worse.

In no particular order I would:

1. Change the alarm code.
    2. Notify the alarm agency to always call your cell.
    3. Inform the contractors that they are to close up and turn off all lights.
    Aceoky, Oldpsufan, RickyD and 3 others like this.

Thanks for sharing. Obviously both of you had good SA, didn't rush to judgement and handled the situation calmly and professionally. Well done.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Wow! That could have gone sideways and really ruined your day. Thankfully you have this story to tell and not something worse.

In no particular order I would:

1. Change the alarm code.
    2. Notify the alarm agency to always call your cell.
    3. Inform the contractors that they are to close up and turn off all lights.
    LOL. I can see you haven't worked with many building subcontractors (at least around here). You're lucky if they use the toilets and not the floor.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I think you were thinking clearly and handled that right. The officer was a cool customer too. Good to know you have guys like that on your force.
    Aiken County Deputies are among the best.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

We had a second phone line installed at our house. My wife was home sick with a really bad case of the flu and lying on the sofa in the family room. The phone installer left. My wife was half asleep and sees through the sliding glass doors someone come around the corner. As she reached for her S&W .357 magnum, she realized the person had a handgun drawn and aimed at her and the person was wearing a uniform. She slowly got up and opened the sliding glass door for the Deputy Sheriff. The alarm had gone off showing a cut phone line. The deputy called me at work and explained what had happened. I called the phone company and was told they would make a trouble call and have someone out the next day. I told them that if the installer wasn't at my house by the time I got there, I would be in the phone company president's office soon after. The installer was pulling in as I arrived. When he installed the second line, he had shorted out the first line which was monitored. He apologized. The following morning the phone company's vice-president was in my office at work apologizing profusely for almost getting my wife shot.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    Glad all went well without issue. Could have been a disaster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Wow, 2 scary stories in one thread! Both with happy endings!

But both add to my aversion to monitored alarm systems. An alarm system that you monitor, okay... with cel phone contact, great. But one that notifies an agency that notifies police... NO, at least not for me.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Wow, 2 scary stories in one thread! Both with happy endings!

But both add to my aversion to monitored alarm systems. An alarm system that you monitor, okay... with cel phone contact, great. But one that notifies an agency that notifies police... NO, at least not for me.
    Ya know Oakchas, I'm re-thinking the wisdom of your statement in bold. This is not the first time that I've been in a hairy situation due to the alarm company auto-calling the police at this house (I posted that one too, but don't feel like looking for it).

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't believe a word of your story. Everyone knows an LEO's first instinct is to shoot to kill and ask questions later.

Apparently, sir, you have chosen to live life dangerously!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Here's another thought; I paused to grab my wallet before I walked over there, even though I didn't need to since I would never leave my property.

Whether you're legally required to or not, if you're going to carry a firearm, you may as well carry ID.

Glad it worked out OK.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. I can see you haven't worked with many building subcontractors (at least around here). You're lucky if they use the toilets and not the floor.

Guilty as charged....

That's just one of my pet peeves which is why I drill into my guys heads - ALWAYS leave the jobsite looking better when you left than when you got there, especially if we are the only subs on site. Nothing worse than doing a great job and leaving a pile of trash for the customer to pick up, lights on when they come in in the morning, etc.... Easy way to go from hero to zero.....
    WHEC724 and Bekkers like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links