starting the day

This is a discussion on starting the day within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Getting dressed to go out for the day isn't easy for me. Arthritis makes getting my shoes on and tied a nontrivial task, and then ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By TRX
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: starting the day

starting the day

Getting dressed to go out for the day isn't easy for me. Arthritis makes getting my shoes on and tied a nontrivial task, and then I have to wrap my left leg in compression bandages to keep it from turning into a giant watermelon. It was crushed by a drunk driver years ago. Then I put the holster on the other ankle, pull on my pants, and finish getting dressed.

My wife goes to work before I do and I have the house to myself. So I queue up some music to help get me going. We have an old but serviceable stereo... three Carver cube amps, two Carver "monolith" main speakers (five feet tall), satellite speakers, subwoofer... well over a thousand watts RMS, not counting the subwoofer. Not in the least efficient - the living room lights flicker during loud passages - but clean, clean sound.

It was Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" a few weeks ago, and U2's "New Year's Day" last week. This week it's Jackson Browne's "Lawyers In Love." Small objects walk off tables as the lights flicker.

"God sends His spaceships to America
    (the beautiful)
    They land at six o'clock and there we are
    (the dutiful)
    Eating from TV trays
    tuned into Happy Days
    Waiting for World War Three while Jesus slaves
    to the mating calls of lawyers in love."

Hey, it doesn't have to make sense, it's only rock and roll...

The system clicks off after the track finishes, I pull my shirt over the shoulder rig, and shuffle out the door to go to work.
    gatorbait51 and JoJoGunn like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When things get to be a bit too much for me, it's a dose of bourbon and Inna Gadda Da Vida for me. Let's me escape for a few minutes (like 16 of them). When it's "not enough" time, I queue up Blurred Lines.

Yes, my musical tastes are a bit bizarre.
    gatorbait51 and welder516 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I drink a 12 pack of corona, put in some pantera and go to sleep....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When things get to be a bit too much for me, it's a dose of bourbon and Inna Gadda Da Vida for me. Let's me escape for a few minutes (like 16 of them). When it's "not enough" time, I queue up Blurred Lines.

Yes, my musical tastes are a bit bizarre.
    You mean you don't follow it up with Steppenwolf "Born to be Wild"?

Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I forgot what I do to get going.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links