History in America

This is a discussion on History in America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know I am posting on a forum geared towards firearms but I think most will appreciate this photo. It has been re-colored giving the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: History in America

History in America

I know I am posting on a forum geared towards firearms but I think most will appreciate this photo.
    It has been re-colored giving the viewer a better perspective on old black and white photos

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Man the history.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Recently saw an article about this picture. Some claim that this was the model photo for the penny. Of course others claim differently, but interesting never the less.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Great image.

Here's one I was commissioned to do by the National Historical Society several yrs ago.
    This gentleman is well known for his appearances at reenactments..I still prefer the authentic sepia images.

"Lincoln moments before his Gettysburg Address"Lincoln.jpg
    manolito likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Very cool pictures!

A president seeing battle? Preposterous. They should have written that into the Constitution as well.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

VIP Member
    Not sure what the protocol was back in the 1860 (contrary to what the kids who work with me think, I wasn't around yet). But by today's protocol the flag being used as a table covering, with item placed on it is a no no. That being said, it's still a neat picture.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Great pic! Hard to believe that Lincoln was not only in the field with his troops whenever possible, but he taught himself military strategy by actually going to the Library of Congress and checking out books on the subject!!! Gives renewed emphasis to the title "Commander and Chief" don't it? They certainly don't make 'em like they used to!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Nice. I prefer the sepia images as well.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHancock View Post
    Great pic! Hard to believe that Lincoln was not only in the field with his troops whenever possible, but he taught himself military strategy by actually going to the Library of Congress and checking out books on the subject!!! Gives renewed emphasis to the title "Commander and Chief" don't it? They certainly don't make 'em like they used to!
    A wise move - probably done so he'd have enough background to talk McClellan into getting off his butt.
    Naufragia and JohnHancock like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.w.daugherty View Post
    A president seeing battle? Preposterous. They should have written that into the Constitution as well.
    Yeah, Military experience made Grant a great President..along with Zachary Taylor

As far a a sitting President seeing battle......Don't really see how that pertains in todays battle field. Plus, you don't put your Head of State in a position to get killed.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

suntzu and rockinglock32 like this.

That tent sure is huge.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    A wise move - probably done so he'd have enough background to talk McClellan into getting off his butt.
    "I need more men! I need more men!!!"
    manolito likes this.

Distinguished Member
    To have a copy of the dialog would be great. The flag lying on the ground do you suppose it was captured? History is funny we teach Mac Arthur as a hero to those men left on the beach to suffer the Battan death march he will always be remembered as
    Doug out Doug

I was alive under Eisenhower's term as president and his military life didn't make him a great president. Most said he just golfed and goofed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links