My black powder bags to be shown on the History Channel!

This is a discussion on My black powder bags to be shown on the History Channel! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work with leather, mostly making black powder, or "possibles bags". I recently sold several that will be aired on the History channel. It will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: My black powder bags to be shown on the History Channel!

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar

My black powder bags to be shown on the History Channel!

I work with leather, mostly making black powder, or "possibles bags". I recently sold several that will be aired on the History channel. It will be called "History of the Texas Rangers" after the Alamo through to the formation of the Republic. My bags will be shown on the first segment "Texas Rising". I don't know when it will begin, but will try and find out.

2. Remove Ads

Way cool! My deer rifle is a 50 cal TC Hawken I put together from a kit over 30 yrs ago. I have a possibles bag too but its been so long I forgot where I got it, probably mail order. How about some pictures of yours?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Way cool! My deer rifle is a 50 cal TC Hawken I put together from a kit over 30 yrs ago. I have a possibles bag too but its been so long I forgot where I got it, probably mail order. How about some pictures of yours?
    P1000602_edited-1.JPGP1000604_edited-1.JPGP1000606_edited-1.JPG

This is a copy of a 1800's style bag. Most bags were simple, but a few were more elaborate.
    CWOUSCG and gatorbait51 like this.

Nice, I like that. Like the inside pocket too. Mines buckskin with a bit of decoration and fringe.

Please let us know when the show is on, I'd like to see it.

Very cool! Definitely let everyone know when it airs!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    A definate must watch! Congratulations.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Belonged to a mountain man era black powder club when I lived in Oklahoma. Been many years since I shot. Miss the club shoots and our annual rendezvous. Still have my guns. Might have to get them out and find someplace to get real black powder.

Lymans Great Plains Pistol.JPGlyman's great plains rifle.jpg

Lymans Great Plains Rifle and Lymans Great Plains Pistol. Both are .54 caliber percussion.
    Attached Images
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You can get real BP here: Powder Inc. - Black Powder for shooters, and more

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Belonged to a mountain man era black powder club when I lived in Oklahoma. Been many years since I shot. Miss the club shoots and our annual rendezvous. Still have my guns. Might have to get them out and find someplace to get real black powder.

Lymans Great Plains Pistol.JPGlyman's great plains rifle.jpg

Lymans Great Plains Rifle and Lymans Great Plains Pistol. Both are .54 caliber percussion.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    .50 CVA Frontier and .45 Kentucky Flintlock here, both from kits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Congrats! On my bucket list is to build a rifle and all the accoutrements. I'd use a kit for the rifle, but would like to make the rest from scratch. Ideal would be to do the leathers from a deer I shot with the rifle and tanned myself.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Black powder shooting is addictive, it is for me anyway. Track of the Wolf has several nice kits, but so does Tip Curtis. He is located in Middle TN, but no web account. He makes extremely good kits, easy to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Congrats! On my bucket list is to build a rifle and all the accoutrements. I'd use a kit for the rifle, but would like to make the rest from scratch. Ideal would be to do the leathers from a deer I shot with the rifle and tanned myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I worked with a guy who did that, this was 35 or so years ago. He made everything including the springs in the lock. Only thing he didn't make was the nipple. I wonder if he's still doing it and what they look like now. His stuff was good but it looked like newbie work, not a slam just a fact as he was just starting out. He learned from a neighbor who was a gunsmith, the guy even gave him his tools so Mike was rifling barrels in high school!

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I work with leather, mostly making black powder, or "possibles bags". I recently sold several that will be aired on the History channel. It will be called "History of the Texas Rangers" after the Alamo through to the formation of the Republic. My bags will be shown on the first segment "Texas Rising". I don't know when it will begin, but will try and find out.
    Good Lord, man! show us some pictures!

Very cool, btw.

EDIT: Just saw some pictures of one you did. VERY nice:)
    flintlock62 likes this.

The pictures I posted above what's going to be on "Texas Rising". He emailed me this morning he was very pleased with my work.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Good Lord, man! show us some pictures!

Very cool, btw.

EDIT: Just saw some pictures of one you did. VERY nice:)

That's pretty way cool Flinter. I had all that stuff when I was into Rendezvous. Do you ever trade with Crazy Crow Trading? They're in Texas I think. They do wholesale too. Possibles bags can be tough to make.

I'd like to see that show too. It'll have to be on YT tho. Back when I had Dish I sometimes would watch shows on History channel for 3 days straight. Same deal with the Sci Fi channel. And Spike channel. These are still the best 3 IMHO. I'll be looking for that.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links