What harm could a little ice do?

This is a discussion on What harm could a little ice do? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We had one heck of an ice storm over the weekend, it's estimated that some 40,000 homes & businesses have no power. One local TV ...

Thread: What harm could a little ice do?

We had one heck of an ice storm over the weekend, it's estimated that some 40,000 homes & businesses have no power. One local TV station and every FM radio station in Westen Kansas has been off the air since Friday night. 36 counties have been declared a disaster area by the Governor.
    Got to work this morning and found out 21 of our steel transmission towers went down due to the weight of the ice and the winds whipping the lines. Nine miles worth of towers in all. That's not to mention the 5,000+ wood poles that are down or damaged across the region.

One of our damaged towers. It's estimated that this stretch of line won't be back in service until mid March. Each tower is worth about $125,000

This is what it's supposed to look like:
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Assistant Administrator
    Holy moley - that is serious.

I do think ice storms are the worst of winter's offerings - certainly snow despite all the hassles is less damaging. Two years ago here we had an ice storm but it was limited to half ways up mountain and higher - so many trees with broken tops it was a mess.

To see a power transmission tower that badly affected tho - well - shucks. Major problems. Hope you are coping OK. Sounds like you work in the power industry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

WOW! the earth's elements are ALL distructive when enough energy and force is behind them. Ice is no different. Look at what the planet is doing.. the last 3 years we have seen more unpredictable weather across the world that ever in history. up here in the northwest its no different. We have more rain this winter than we have ever recorded. Useally we are burried in snow but some places are getting HIT hard and the ones that useally get snow are getting only rain. The earth is not happy with what we are doing to her.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I'm a Lead Control Room Operator at a coal fired generation plant.

VIP Member
    OK I wont complain about hurricanes anymore
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

No matter where you live your going to have bad weather of some kind.When the three hurricanes hit us one after the other we lost power for 21 days plus we got a 60 foot oak tree on our roof. I hope you get some power soon. we had power companys from all over the countryto help us out . Hope things go smooth .Good luck.

There has been some ice storms around here that were pretty bad but not like that! Actually we have had a pretty mild winter so far.

wow... some people won't have electricity for 2 months?

There really isn't any place that you can go and completely get away from Mother Nature.
    We moved here to West TN to get away from Hurricanes and the first thing anyone said to me is "Are you ready for the big Earth Quake?"
    I thought "what?" and then checked and what do I find? We live in the complete disaster zone for the New Madrid fault. Seems that when it lets go, anytime now, this area will just cease to be. Nice huh?

We still want to move yo Indiana where I was born and raised but they have really bad winter storms too from time to time. There is no place in the USA where you can be 100% safe from some type of natura disaster. You just have to be prepared and hope you don't take the full hit.

That tower looks bad. I've seen broadcast towers go down because of ice. Same kind of thing. It's not good.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yeah, here in North Texas we don't have earthquakes, we don't have hurricanes and we don't have significant snow storms. But we do have tornadoes and flash floods that kill several people every year. Nature is everywhere and is deadly.

Lets see; Washington state has Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tornados, Huricanes, Floods, Mudslides, Icestorms, Blizzards. Did I leave anything out?

Well, Let's See...

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Lets see; Washington state has Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tornados, Huricanes, Floods, Mudslides, Icestorms, Blizzards. Did I leave anything out?
    ...Sleet, hail, wind storms...

Car-jackings, home invasions, armed robbries, kidnappings, rapes, thefts...bad drivers, dui's, road rage, traffic jams/accidents...

Actually, you probably have it all up there...

Stay armed...stay safe...plan ahead!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've lived a lot of places and always seemed to hear the phrase "Mighty unusual to have weather like this".
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
    wow... some people won't have electricity for 2 months?
    No, look at it like a highway system; that line is like the interstate, even if it's down there are other routes. But with the main traffic route closed the alternate routes get congested, possible restricting the flow at times.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Liberals
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Sponsored Links