Are you a Conservative or a Liberal (or something else?)

This is a discussion on Are you a Conservative or a Liberal (or something else?) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Are you a Conservative or a Liberal (or something else?) JL has a thread going about FB right now and it got me thinking. S0 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Are you a Conservative or a Liberal (or something else?)

Are you a Conservative or a Liberal (or something else?) JL has a thread going about FB right now and it got me thinking. S0 many folks use lables on others and themselves. But what you really? List what your beleifs are what you would label yourself. This thread is not to debate the social or politicall issues!

My views on the 2A are very simple: no infringement, We don't need any new laws. I am for smaller military, but with a larger Special Operaions capability. I think there should be unemployment benefits but with severe restrictions on it and oversight. I think that MJ should be legal (or if not, alcohol should be illegal). I am a devout Christian. I am against abortion. I beleive in a strict seperation of church and state. I do think the pledge of allegiance should be done in school. I think a Christmas tree should be called a Christmas tree. I don't care who someone marries as long as it is human and of legal age. I thnk Bush is as bad of a President as Obama (I don't think we have had a good President in a long time anyway) I am against the death penalty (though viscerally I would sometimes change my views on it). Unions do more harm than good these days. Affirmative action should go bye bye..

I don't prefer labels but I would consider myself Libertarian
    Pinot and gatorbait51 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Objectivist. If you don't know what that is, read some Ayn Rand.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

I'm a libertarian utopian, but with a healthy dash of pragmatist (I try, anyway). I don't think that the Libertarian option is viable until* the cost of justice becomes negligible, where aggrieved Panhandler A can sue Corporate Billionaire B with a reasonable chance of victory, if they're in the right. Socially, I'm wildly liberal, with an emphasis on the value of sentience. Propertywise, I tend to have a slightly different heuristic than many conservatives (since I believe that some property can be collectively owned, e.g., the air), but your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. I find many of the heuristics regarding property to be amusing, if only because they're "obviously heuristics" and boot-strapped from primate instincts. Fiscally, I'm rather conservative, er, I focus on the bottom line. Militarily, I struggle; I think there's a proactive duty to combat abuse, but I get bogged down in how to do it. I must be 'centrist', since liberals accuse me of being right-wing, and vis versa.

*Yes, 'until'. That's the goal, with harming the fewest people possible in the process. Because it's battle of relative social power, there will be winners and losers
    Last edited by CanuckQue; April 15th, 2014 at 08:41 AM.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

VIP Member
    Conservative with Libertarian tendencies or maybe the other way around.

Where I differ with a lot of Libertarians is in foreign affairs and same sex marriage.

The world is full of BGs and if we are not strong militarily we will get messed with, just look what's happening right now. We are weak, Putin knows it and is having his way with the Ukraine.
    Too many bad actors out there to draw down our military.

I also have a pet peeve when people mess with the meaning of words. Marriage is between a man and a woman. If Fred and Barney or Betty and Thelma want to have a civil union, a cave joining or whatever else they want to call it then go for it, it's just not marriage by definition. I had the same issue with Slick Willy trying to dance around the meaning of sex.
    Exacto, emawildcat, Pinot and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    I believe i am something else ..........................................I hear that from people all the time

I am a "Constitutionalist"

Death Penalty = Yes
    Marriage M&W = yes
    Small Gov. = Yes , they need to get out of my way and shut up
    I believe in Christmas
    I believe in Easter and the bunny
    I like alot of what Rand Paul says .
    I am Republican
    Last edited by welder516; April 15th, 2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: last part
    Badey, Aceoky, Pinot and 7 others like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I stand behind what our Fore Fathers intended for us. I don't know...what does that make me?
    welder516, Exacto, Aceoky and 5 others like this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    I stand behind what our Fore Fathers intended for us. I don't know...what does that make me?
    A Constitutionalist.

I think I would consider myself a Minarchist Libertarian. I believe some government is necessary, but should be as small as is possible to protect private property ownership and our country's borders. I am a Christian who believes in the state staying out of the church. I think the 2A is simple and straight forward, and means "shall not be infringed." I am against abortion, for the legalization of marijuana (at least medically, if not to totally). I also believe that America needs to stop being the global police. I am ok with people receiving welfare if they need it and can't work, but I think that if the community helped those in need, it would be better for everyone.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Libertarians don't have to swallow all the planks of a platform, unlike liberals and conservatives who are generally all-or-nothing. Both major parties have planks I reject, and could never consider myself as being one of either as they presently exist.
    Pinot, Jaeger and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Uhhh........let me think.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Reading the replies that have already been given, I guess I'm a Conservative/Libertarian.

Suntzu, I agree with you about Bush. He wasn't a good President for many reasons. For me his weak stance on illegal immigration was very bad for the country...so was "Nation Building" in Iraq. We should have gone in, struck hard and gotten out. However, I don't agree that he is as bad as Obama, he gets the award for the worst POTUS ever.

Labels are just descriptions and not necessariy a bad thing. I don't mind being labeled "Conservative," in fact I consider it a compliment.
    ETXhiker, Pinot and gatorbait51 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    A constitutionalist, wear it proudly.
    niks, Pinot and gatorbait51 like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I am one who tries very hard not to be influenced by what others think. I am not going to allow myself to be manipulated with the lies and spin from any party. They are all guilty of it. I am a constitutionalist, it is as close to perfect as men can get. I believe in right and wrong, it exist. I don't judge others by my standards of right and wrong, I observe and listen, and decide if it is something I want to be around or not. My standards of right and wrong are how I govern my actions and beliefs, others will have to do it for themselves without my two cents. I believe that if you listen to your gut, for want of a better word, you will feel what that right and wrong is. I believe in being respectful to all unless disrespected. I believe in being honest, integrity, say what you mean, and mean what you say, or don't say it. I believe in live and let live, to each his or her own, only they will answer for it. I am loyal to my friends, and formidable to my enemies. I believe in God, family, country. I don't like politicians of any stripe. I do like people that protect and defend the constitution and our liberty, from all enemies foreign and domestic.
    Last edited by Exacto; April 15th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
    niks, Badey, Pinot and 3 others like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    I like "Constitutionalist" for a label. It cuts through the muck and gets down to the base of what we should be about.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I am a Conservative/Libertarian....

Death penalty...Yep..
    Small Government....Yep..
    2A....No infringement....

I would add more, but do not want to go political with the thread...
    Pinot and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links