Tomato Problems

Tomato Problems

This is a discussion on Tomato Problems within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I started my plants indoors toward the end of February, as I do every year. This year, I have a problem. My tomatoes (and ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Betty
  • 1 Post By GWarden
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 2 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By Chorizo

Thread: Tomato Problems

Tomato Problems

So I started my plants indoors toward the end of February, as I do every year. This year, I have a problem. My tomatoes (and just about everything else) are too big too soon.

It's too cold to put them out in the cold frame (should be able to in a few days), and I can't plant them for about a month!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Global warming? It's warmer than usual, so they grow bigger. And it's colder than usual, so you can't plant them outside.

VIP Member
    They look kinda leggy to me - not enough light or too much nitrogen?
    pgrass101 and Aceoky like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I grew many tomato plants in buckets, some indoors. You should be able to make it to better weather. Good luck
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    They look kinda leggy to me - not enough light or too much nitrogen?
    I think the latter. I tried a new potting soil this year, and wasn't a big fan.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    wow. and here i was expecting some strange analogy or euphamism or name of a wierd training drill or some slang for a gun i'd never heard. nope. literally; tomato's!

not bashing or anything, funny actually!
    Badey likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member
    No worries Badey, your good with those! Keep them going but take at least the bottom three branches off. What you want is to let the roots get all the "juice", it is the roots that will feed your fruit with all the good watery goodness. When you plant them (you may already know this)plant them at least half way deep and you can plant them on their sides about 4" down if it's easier. Your goal is to get a lot of the leggy plant into the ground so it works with you in that it will grow roots all up and down the leggy part you put into the ground. This can work to your advantage. I wouldn't use any plant food with the exception of the fish (you can get it at the big box stores) plant food, it's nothing but ground up fish but they put something in it to make it not smell bad. Much better for you than the miracle grow - that stuff we only use for flowers and no food products.

Best plants I've heard of the fellow would take fish heads and guts from the local fish markets and put it in the ground near the garden. Only problem with that is it really does draw neighborhood cats and otters if your garden is near enough to the water way. Don't think you will have many otter problems in Pittsburg?!
    Aceoky and Badey like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWarden View Post
    I grew many tomato plants in buckets, some indoors. You should be able to make it to better weather. Good luck
    I was just talking to a friend yesterday who told me that he's switched to growing them outdoors in 5-gallon buckets and he'll never go back. We had so much rain last summer that it ruined many tomato crops, but his bucket-maters were fine because he knocked holes in the bottom. He's switching all of his vege's over to buckets now.
    Aceoky and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I was just talking to a friend yesterday who told me that he's switched to growing them outdoors in 5-gallon buckets and he'll never go back. We had so much rain last summer that it ruined many tomato crops, but his bucket-maters were fine because he knocked holes in the bottom. He's switching all of his vege's over to buckets now.
    YEP! Here as well. I've been growing mine in 5 gallon buckets for a few years now. MY great-grandfather used to grow his in buckets in baltimore city.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tomato plants got legs?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tomato plants got legs?
    Haven't you ever heard the ZZ Top song "She's Got Legs"? Didn't know it was about tomato plants, did you?
    5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    It looks to me that your containers may be too small causing them to be root bound. Like Sister said fish emulsion is great! I just pour off the "juice" out of a 5 gal bucket with water in it that I throw trout in after being cleaned. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    They are just fine. Right before planting, remove all the leaves at the main stem except for the very top new shoots, plant it deep, and roots will form along the stem portion that is buried and you will have an even more healthy production!

See the link:

Plant Tomatoes Deep, Deep, Deep - Bonnie Plants
    Aceoky likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Can't dig that deep in my yard, maybe 10 inches. You hit compacted sand from where they dumped the diggings from the canal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Can't dig that deep in my yard, maybe 10 inches. You hit compacted sand from where they dumped the diggings from the canal.
    The space them further apart and lay the stem on their sides, turning the tender top up and out of the dirt. The will grow vertical from that point.
    Aceoky likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links