New medical program in hospitals, how to die 101

This is a discussion on New medical program in hospitals, how to die 101 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm too stressed to get upset about this but did want to share since I didn't realize this was already happening. My Sister in Law ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: New medical program in hospitals, how to die 101

Distinguished Member

New medical program in hospitals, how to die 101

I'm too stressed to get upset about this but did want to share since I didn't realize this was already happening. My Sister in Law is an oncology nurse for the 400 bed hospital we both use to work in (she still does) for years in NC, it's a great hospital and I'd recommend it to anyone...until now but this may be going on in all hospitals?!

She said the whole hospital, not just the nurses are being schooled in how to help people deal with how to die. She is livid, says this is part of the new program with the new "law" that was signed into order with a pen and a phone. I'd sure love to put that pen and phone in a safe place right now.

Just thinking that our parents/grandparents are being pushed aside makes my blood boil. As loony as I think some of the Chinese laws are they do take care of their older folks much better than many do in America. Looks like that is going in the wrong direction. Now think of the medical care illegal people get on the backs of hard work by these older Americans put in for many, many years.

I can't believe it has come to this in some of our better hospitals. Sad, just plain sad. These older people are our families, how dare someone take from them what was theirs to begin with!!!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Nothing to add Sis!
    You said it all.
    Sister and Aceoky like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

She is being trained in dealing with dying people. She works at a hospital. What is the issue?

Distinguished Member
    Sister, I lost my mother 2 years ago to cancer. She was 80. 35 days of hospitalization when she was first diagnosed, 2 rounds of chemo (6-8 treatments each), out-patient support, etc. Family members took turns caring for her for three years, watching her be sick, her hair fall out, etc. Easily $1M spent for her treatment. In the end, we weren't prepared when she was admitted to intensive care and we were told there was nothing else they could do for her. She was moved to a hospice the next day. Thank God those people were straight up with us and told us what to expect. We know an awful lot about keeping people alive; death isnt something that people want to talk about. It needs to be, IMO, and the medical community needs to do a better job helping people prepare. Death is an inevitable part of living.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the implication of the OP is that hospitals intend to subtly withhold medical care from people they deem "too old" and expensive to care for, and in place of this "counsel" them how to accept death and make peace with themselves and their families. If this is the case, it makes my skin crawl also. This is part of the Affordable Health Care Act robbing money from Medicare, and other health care plans.
    Sister, darbo, xXxplosive and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Decisions about how much care is provided have been made every day for years, even before the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). That's managed care, which has been employed by private insurance, Medicaid and Medicare for a long time.
    manolito likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Folks you may not realize it but hospitals have been doing talking about end of life stuff with patients for around 15 years now. The medical community advanced to a point in which they could keep a person alive long past the point in which they wanted to be living. Is talking about end of life a bad thing? Not at all.

I rarely say anything personal about myself but this is a bit personal to me especially now. My died passed away just over 2 weeks ago. All of the family talked about end of life stuff with him, the doctors and nurses, he was comfortable with what was going to happen and how. All of the kids were there in his last days, we talked over everything, we settled old disputes, just spent his last time on earth with him. He died peacefully at home with his wife, kids and brother there. He went knowing he was loved and that he did a good job with us.

That is what talking about end of life gives you. Peace, and understanding of the process of death, how it is going to happen, and knowing takes away the fear.

Nothing b

At some point down the road, as we migrate closer and closer to socialized medicine, there will indeed be financial decisions being made about who and what to care for when and how based on age, diagnosis, prognosis, cost of care, etc. There's nothing I'm aware of in the ACA that is specifically pushing any of that at this time, but there are many aggressive managed care plans and managed care physicians who are with-holding care for financial reasons and have been doing it for years upon years. Hospitals can't write orders or decide not to follow orders. Only physicians can make those medical judgments. The decision to treat, not to treat, or how to treat can only be made by physicians...not hospitals.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. That's why I have a life membership in the hemlock society.
    CanuckQue likes this.

I beg to differ. The decision of treat or not to treat is up to the patient if he/she is able to make that decision, or the father mother wife son or daughter or next of kin if they arent. Unless of course the person gave someone a medical power of attorney.

If the attending does or doesnt want to treat or not treat then you get another Doc.

Another problem I have with this whole dealing with death and what its like is unless your dead, you have no idea what your talking about now do you???

Exactly how does a living person explain to another what dieing is like or get even remotely close to it, considering zombies dont actually exist??

Heck a human can dream about about being dead, and almost dieing. But they cant even dream about the process of actually dieing because the brain has no reference for what dieing is like.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I (we) have lived this for years my son has died 3 times and brought back to life , this was 32 to 34 years ago . At one point the hospital came to the wife and i (JHU) and ask is we wanted to go above and beyond to recussitate . Now at this time in our lifes we have medical directives for each of us . I do not want to be given extreme means to stay alive .

I (we) have worked hard to put away a nest-egg for my son's estate (trust fund) so he can be taken care when i or we are gone and i do not want to take that money and it be used on my care . I want it there for his care for peace of mind . I do not believe this is a part of the new health care system but has been part of a "dying with dignity" type of approach .

In short i want to go quick and fast and not with a 100,000.00 medical bill .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I think we need to talk more about dying, not less. Death is a part of the life cycle, and it used to be we all knew it. Now baby boomers (not just them) seem to think they will live forever. We've pushed death out of the public sphere, made it shameful to talk about, a taboo. I remember reading a story about a woman who perhaps died to soon because she wasn't going to die too late, battered and arms blackened by needle tracks. If we all owe a death, why not help make it a good death?

I'm not anxious to die by any means, I'm not looking forward to it. Still, death awaits me. I'd like to face it with dignity, serene and prepared, instead of being carted off to die out of sight and forgotten.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    Yes, this is part of the ACA - something new to withhold money from the older population.

Let's say your golf playing 76yo healthy mother all of a sudden needs a by-pass or pacemaker but then she would be totally fine after she recoups to play golf again for another 8 years and even live longer than that. Since she is over 75 (I'm pretty sure of that age limit but correct me if I'm wrong, could be younger) from what I am learning she would be deigned and sent home with pills, no surgery and she will die within the year. Now I'm going to ask a stupid question, what if this was YOUR mother and she paid in and worked for 40 years?

Let's take Heidi, she is needing a hip replacement (or is pregnant..whatever) and hopped ship to come to America but is here illegally. She is 35 years old and never even been to America. She goes into the hospital and gets the surgery done at no charge except to the American people. This goes over well with the ACA, has nothing to do with if they are an American or not or worked for years but the age of the person. I realize that some cases it makes no sense if the person is in pain and nothing can be done but that is not what this is about. My SIL said it is not what this is about and she has been at that hospital for 20+ years and has worked herself into the management bracket. This is ALL about the ACA and who really matters to the ones that wrote the law.

I'm off to the hospital, please keep praying for my family and my Daddy -

Who do you care about and what is fair?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Yes, this is part of the ACA - something new to withhold money from the older population.

Let's say your golf playing 76yo healthy mother all of a sudden needs a by-pass or pacemaker but then she would be totally fine after she recoups to play golf again for another 8 years and even live longer than that. Since she is over 75 (I'm pretty sure of that age limit but correct me if I'm wrong, could be younger) from what I am learning she would be deigned and sent home with pills, no surgery and she will die within the year. Now I'm going to ask a stupid question, what if this was YOUR mother and she paid in and worked for 40 years?

Let's take Heidi, she is needing a hip replacement (or is pregnant..whatever) and hopped ship to come to America but is here illegally. She is 35 years old and never even been to America. She goes into the hospital and gets the surgery done at no charge except to the American people. This goes over well with the ACA, has nothing to do with if they are an American or not or worked for years but the age of the person. I realize that some cases it makes no sense if the person is in pain and nothing can be done but that is not what this is about. My SIL said it is not what this is about and she has been at that hospital for 20+ years and has worked herself into the management bracket. This is ALL about the ACA and who really matters to the ones that wrote the law.

I'm off to the hospital, please keep praying for my family and my Daddy -

Who do you care about and what is fair?
    You have hit the nail on the head! Seem to be one of the few that gets it.
    Elections have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    In short i want to go quick and fast and not with a 100,000.00 medical bill .
    $100,000??? You'd BETTER go "quick and fast"!!!

As my Dad was dying, the hospitals & doctors charged about $1.5 Million for their inept "care" and "treatment", accrued at the rate of about $30,000 per day.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links