For Those Security-Minded: VERY Secure Web Browser:

This is a discussion on For Those Security-Minded: VERY Secure Web Browser: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This in image from is from Lightbeam, a FIREFOX Add-on (free) that shows you through images and lists all the sites that track your computer ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By detective
  • 1 Post By Tzadik
  • 2 Post By molleur
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By 357and40
  • 2 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By 357and40
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By Badey

Thread: For Those Security-Minded: VERY Secure Web Browser:

This in image from is from Lightbeam, a FIREFOX Add-on (free) that shows you through images and lists all the sites that track your computer each time you go to a new website. I would say the image below would be that after going to one or two websites, (shown as the large white circles, all the "satellites" are of places tracking you while you are one of those websites.
    They have Daily and Weekly views. At a Week, this black Lightbeam screen is almost white with tracking of the cumulative 7 days of your computer, most are companies looking for info on you, potential spam but some are malicious.

ht_mozilla_lightbeam_ll_131025_16x9_992.jpg

With that as an intro a very secure web browser was introduced awhile back: It's called "DUCKDUCKGO" (yeah, I know, but don't judge a book etc...) and has been reviewed quite a bit as a big aid in computer security. Just as fast as any of the top Search Engines, but no tracking of you, no Cookies (which help to get Tracked). Alas, no Photos either but if you need to look through any just use another browser for that. Also: NO ADDS.

If you see the Search Site with Search Box in the middle go to selections on lower bottom right and click on "More". "Security" will come up and look in that. In addition to what's built in they give you many choices for more security, very good ones in my experience.

I've been using it a lot for awhile now and it has my vote.

https://duckduckgo.com/
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Duck Duck Go is a Search Engine not a web browser.

Other than that I agree with you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't make me assume my ultimate form!"

Distinguished Member
    I use it all the time!
    gatorbait51 and detective like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

StartPage is pretty good too (search engine).

Personally, I think FireFox with the HTTPS everywhere plug-in is very secure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

someone here linked me to https://www.ghostery.com/en/. As an add-on to your current browser it will do what you are looking for. Thank you to whoever it was that linked me Ghostery!
    WHEC724 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Thumbs down

I used to use Firefox exclusively mainly because I didn't know any better and #2 cuz I'm old and not real hip where computer usage is concerned. A couple months ago it got to the point where I was getting increasingly bent out from the pop up ads I was plagued with here at DC.

There is a built in feature on my PC called InPrivate Browsing. I am quite pleased with this and every time I turn my computer on I partake of this. Guess what? Very few pop ups on the other sites I frequent. No pop ups here at DC. I might give it a look see anyway. It irritates me to no end that of 4 sites visited 82 sites were following this guy. I mean can anyone here if they went into 4 stores while running errands came out of the last store only to find 82 people following them?? I mean who carries 82 rounds of ammo??? That would be the day I started open carrying either my AK with a drum mag or my 10-22 with a drum mag. I don't wanna do that either.
    Badey and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I used to use Firefox exclusively mainly because I didn't know any better and #2 cuz I'm old and not real hip where computer usage is concerned. A couple months ago it got to the point where I was getting increasingly bent out from the pop up ads I was plagued with here at DC.

There is a built in feature on my PC called InPrivate Browsing. I am quite pleased with this and every time I turn my computer on I partake of this. Guess what? Very few pop ups on the other sites I frequent. No pop ups here at DC. I might give it a look see anyway. It irritates me to no end that of 4 sites visited 82 sites were following this guy. I mean can anyone here if they went into 4 stores while running errands came out of the last store only to find 82 people following them?? I mean who carries 82 rounds of ammo??? That would be the day I started open carrying either my AK with a drum mag or my 10-22 with a drum mag. I don't wanna do that either.
    Noname, stay off the pron sites and you wont have so many pop-ups... that or get ghostery like i did... haha
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    For anyone that actually thinks you can't be tracked on the internet with some of those tools, you are just fooling yourself. Each little packet is just a set of bread crumbs back to your computer.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All this goes right over my head. I just punch "ON" and channel up & down until I get what I want.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Duck Duck Go is a Search Engine not a web browser.

Other than that I agree with you.
    That's what you get for not going back and correcting/editing while you still can edit. Too late now

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    StartPage is pretty good too (search engine).

Personally, I think FireFox with the HTTPS everywhere plug-in is very secure.
    Yes Firefox is good plus they give you hundreds of free ad-ons, take a look sometime, it's under "Tools" at the top, then "Add-Ons"

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

If by the guy on four websites you mean the photo of Lightbeam I had on my original post, it was just TWO websites he went to that produced all that tracking.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    someone here linked me to https://www.ghostery.com/en/. As an add-on to your current browser it will do what you are looking for. Thank you to whoever it was that linked me Ghostery!
    Ghostery is what I use. Sure, it doesn't make you "secure", but it does aid in blocking a bunch of those little trackers.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    For anyone that actually thinks you can't be tracked on the internet with some of those tools, you are just fooling yourself. Each little packet is just a set of bread crumbs back to your computer.
    You are right as far as mainstream browsers go.

However, Tor is a good browser that makes it very difficult to track you. It reroutes your IP three times (each jump is encrypted). The NSA may be able to track all of the jumps, but it takes a lot of resources, so you would have to be pretty important to them for them to go to such lengths.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Links