How young is too young?

This is a discussion on How young is too young? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In Iowa, apparently, you cannot allow your children to shoot handguns if they are younger than 14. As one who touts our responsibility to know ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 1 Post By pilotranger
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: How young is too young?

How young is too young?

In Iowa, apparently, you cannot allow your children to shoot handguns if they are younger than 14.

As one who touts our responsibility to know the laws of at least our own state, I missed this one...

A few legislators tried to change it to 12, but it never made it to law...

Story
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Well I guess I'd be one heck of an outlaw if I lived in IA.
    WannabeaCPA, OldVet and Badey like this.

Distinguished Member
    Me too!
    OldVet likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I'm of the belief that if your child can go hunting using a rifle, why not allow him/her to shoot a handgun with adult supervision? I think it's the politicians' perception that is more dangerous with a handgun.

My son shot his first "real gun" using an AR-15 rifle. The second gun he ever shot was his uncle's FNS FN 9mm. That was last year when he was 14 years old.
    ccw9mm likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For being a "heartland" state, Iowa is a bit strange.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    That's ridiculous! Safe gun handling should be taught as soon as the child shows an interest and they have the physical ability to safely handle a gun under supervision.

I can understand NY or CA having some law like this...but IOWA? That's more distressing because it feels like the anti's are getting a toehold in the states that have previously been seen as having common sense.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I started shooting a .22 single-action revolver in Arizona when I was seven. I started deer hunting in New Mexico with a borrowed rifle when I was ten. I bought my first owned gun from the Sears Christmas catalog when I was sixteen. The mailman brought the Lee-Enfield British .303 rifle, a few boxes of ammo, and a cleaning kit to our front porch. At seventeen, I was in the Navy. At eighteen, I was on a boat in Viet Nam manning an M2 50 BMG with an M2 .30 carbine as a backup. Here I am at almost 68 and our government would like to take my guns away because they aren't safe.
    Jeanlouise and pilotranger like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Yet another case of the government trying to control how we raise our kids. I am shocked this is in Iowa. Like others, I could this happening in NY, but not Iowa. I'm from there originally and several members of my family are still there.
    I do know you have to obtain a permit to own a handgun there. Makes no sense to me. You can buy a shotgun but not a pistol? Why? One is just as lethal as the other. Whatever.

Not suprising. IA, MN, and WI have a strong progressive undercurrent that shows-up in unexpected places. These states also lagged in the "shall issue" trend. My in-laws are from extreme SE SD, and fit right in with the FUDD attitude of rifle & shotgun OK, handgun BAD.

That's just sickening to hear this about one of the bread basket states. The heartland of America was always (I thought) a bastion of conservative values. Just goes to show how the libturds can muck it up for the rest of us.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I started the little ones at 5. Wow, 14, for a state like Iowa that seems a bit high.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's ridiculous! Safe gun handling should be taught as soon as the child shows an interest and they have the physical ability to safely handle a gun under supervision.

I can understand NY or CA having some law like this...but IOWA? That's more distressing because it feels like the anti's are getting a toehold in the states that have previously been seen as having common sense.
    I get your point, and agree, but am actually going to disagree, sort of...

The NRA's Eddy the Eagle for Pre K - 4th should be taught to all kids regardless of whether there are guns in the house, there is interest, or anything.

The gun safety maxims for that age are:

If you see a gun:

STOP!
    Don't Touch.
    Leave the Area.
    Tell an Adult.

This is basic common sense that can only be found, really in a widely distributed, structured curriculum, and age appropriate course for children, from the NRA.

In Missouri children can hunt under supervision at age 6. That may be too young for some children, and for others it might be right. It's hard for me to believe any five year old would be able to carry their own gun and hunt, but if you're going to set it somewhere, and it probably does need to be set, I'm ok with that. I shot guns very young. Probably around 6; but I hunted with a broom stick till I was 12, when most of the other kids had guns. My father was a doctor and a gun safety fanatic (which is why I am), and it worked for us. I've never had an ND, and it's a great rarity I might do something marginally unsafe. That said I'm of the school that just about everyone will have an ND if they're around guns long enough, and that also helps to keep me focused and thinking about it constantly.

Every kid is different, and it's hard to set rules or make categorical statements. This is better left to the parents. Idiot parents make idiot kids, but you're not going to legislate that away. More laws and rules only hurt those of us who care in the first place.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Links