Shot Spotter's first annual report on gunfire in the US

This is a discussion on Shot Spotter's first annual report on gunfire in the US within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Great, this will be something else the antis can use against us. ShotSpotter is the gunfire detection technology being used in some major cities in ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By wyoung
  • 4 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 3 Post By cn262
  • 2 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: Shot Spotter's first annual report on gunfire in the US

Great, this will be something else the antis can use against us.

ShotSpotter is the gunfire detection technology being used in some major cities in the US.

Here's what the Wall Street Journal reports: National Gun Crime Report Exposes the Reality of Illegal Gunfire in America - MarketWatch
    manolito likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    and this technology can differentiate between the over-pressure wave created by a fire-arm, and the over-pressure wave created by any other explosion...?
    maybe car back-fires are out of the box, but any city close to mining or oil/natural gas/fracking operations will get some occasional "pops". I'm sure there are others... I've gotten a pretty big bang out of my shop when metal working... or fixing cars.... or being a dummy w/ my propane grill....

how about technology that tracks a womans 13 minute 911 call....

how about proactively saving lives instead of stuff to finger point with...
    manolito likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Too bad the article doesn't mention which cities. It only suggests that "the communities most impacted by gun violence are the least likely to call police." Wonder where that might be?
    manolito likes this.

VIP Member
    Total Gunfire Activity : In 2013, well over 51,000 separate incidents of gunfire were confirmed to have occurred in the reported areas alone. Of those, more than 7,000 (15%) took place in just two holiday periods – during New Year’s Eve/Day and July fourth. This was an average of 1 incident every 10 minutes nationwide on Friday and Saturday nights between 10pm and 2am – every week.
    Can Shot Spotter differentiate between gunfire and fireworks; just those two dates will skew the results.
    Chasejax, Xader, DingBat and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Yawn! Silly nonsense...
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like much of the alleged gunfire is much ado about nothing.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    The first thing I can't find out is can this system tell the difference between an M-80 during the fourth and a gun? Then I went to send a note asking this and find their E-mail address is a gmail account.

In their report if you notice a lot of big holes you could drive a truck through. This is some more technology that is reeling from the end of the war and nobody is buying their product and they are trying to create a civilian market. I have heard Oakland had some pretty good arrests using this system until the bad guys got wise.

Once the bad guys found out the city had the system you send one pledge to one side and another fifteen blocks away and over the phone you coordinate them to fire two rounds the police respond to those shots and you take care of business a mile away. If they would have kept the system secret it would have had a powerful effect. Once it hit court and the defense made them reveal how they responded to the area it was out in the open.
    Last edited by manolito; April 16th, 2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: fat finger spelling

Wonder what kind of stats they would have if they put a shot spotter at Knob Creek?
    Secret Spuk and msgt/ret like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The problem I have with a report like this is that it lacks important context. This is expensive technology so it is deployed in known 'bad areas' that already have significant gang activity and much higher than normal levels of violence and murder. So, there are already a lot of bad people doing bad things. Yes, there are a lot of innocent bystanders (those people too afraid to call the police, or to apathetic because past calls have gone unanswered - comments both made when residents of these areas have been interviewed by local Milwaukee TV stations) and not everyone there is bad or a gang member.

It's sort of like using radar at a race track and claiming that you found an excessive number of cars speeding. It's got nothing to do with the cars (per se) - it's all about the environment.

As an aside, when you do see reports on Shot Spotter in Milwaukee media the emphasis is always on how this technology allowed the MPD to pick-up shell casings and gather evidence, and not how it directly saved lives or caught someone in the act of shooting. While that is not all bad, it certainly isn't as good as the manufacture claims it to be. But, there is a lot of money in this (hundreds of thousands of dollars per installation) so why would they state anything to the contrary?
    Secret Spuk, ccw9mm and manolito like this.

Here is what I learned.

1- 15% of them are idiots that don't realize bullets are effected by gravity. Or fireworks. Who knows. But I figure a strong idiot lean in the equation.

2- Any bets about the shining success of gun control this unnamed city represents?

3- BG's have bad aim.

4- It's crazy what you can get used too. However, I hear gunshots all the time. Apparently a guy north of me has his own range. I really need to get to know that guy.

5- Heat makes people crazy.

Sure they will try to use it. But it's just another case of statistics about criminals. And who is not surprised that criminals use guns, a lot, and recklessly?
    ccw9mm and Secret Spuk like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Wonder what kind of stats they would have if they put a shot spotter at Knob Creek?
    That would be too funny if they caught just the small artillery.
    Badey likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like much of the alleged gunfire is much ado about nothing.
    For an old guy who was in the USAF you're pretty damn quick.

I hope you know that was a compliment you old fart.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links