Is Baseball Supposed to Hurt This Bad?

This is a discussion on Is Baseball Supposed to Hurt This Bad? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Player hit with 30 pitches in 30 games... average of one a game! I think I'd think of entering a new sport. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...185549191.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is Baseball Supposed to Hurt This Bad?

Player hit with 30 pitches in 30 games... average of one a game!

I think I'd think of entering a new sport.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...185549191.html
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Baseball isnt supposed to hurt, but it does at times. Stupid though, hurts all the time. Like 30 out of 30 type odds.
    Bama61 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    He is obviously trying to get on base by being hit with the baseball.

Either that or he is really irritating to the pitchers for some reason.
    Badey likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Ask Cubs fans.
    SIXTO and LimaCharlie like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

HBP is an art, until it kills you.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    The idea about rolling into a pitch to get on base seems to be getting more popular. I have actually seen where coaches of 13-15 year old kids teaching batters how to do it without getting hurt. The issue I have with this is that if I am the opposing coach and I tell my pitcher to hit him(which I would never do) I would be considered a bad coach and unethical.

This kid's coach said the player is built like a neanderthal so he does not mind getting hit. Unfortunately he has created a habit of not getting out of the way of the pitches that are coming towards him. It is not going to be pretty when he is at LSU and a 90-95 mph fastball gets away from a pitcher and hits this kid in the face.

There is so much time and money spent every year to find better ways to keep players from all ages and levels safe so I think it is very sad to teach them to let pitches hit them that could eventually cause an injury.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Pete Rose was known for getting hit by pitches. He had a habit of moving body parts over the plate, intentionally of course.

He smiled all the way to first base.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I jumped back from every pitch when I played Little League.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I jumped back from every pitch when I played Little League.
    Same with me. Something about a big ball traveling at like 60 MPH scared the crapout of me.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

I was a horrible baseball player. I found out much later that I was left-handed and right-eye dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I was a horrible baseball player. I found out much later that I was left-handed and right-eye dominant.
    SO does that make you a good shooter?

Played HS and college. Back in the day, pretty common to hear coaches tell starting pitchers to hit at least one batter per game intentionally. Fine and good unless you are standing in the batter's box, then it gets a little personal.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    The idea about rolling into a pitch to get on base seems to be getting more popular. I have actually seen where coaches of 13-15 year old kids teaching batters how to do it without getting hurt. The issue I have with this is that if I am the opposing coach and I tell my pitcher to hit him(which I would never do) I would be considered a bad coach and unethical.
    i've found it easier to just teach the kid to hit the ball. In little leagues, kids get hit enough without trying. I can't imagine having them hit on purpose. But then again, I just don't care enough about winning to risk a kid being hurt.
    Badey likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    i've found it easier to just teach the kid to hit the ball. In little leagues, kids get hit enough without trying. I can't imagine having them hit on purpose. But then again, I just don't care enough about winning to risk a kid being hurt.
    I agree completely Sixto. I do not teach that to my players and I get very upset when I see coaches I am coaching against do it. I have seen it on only a couple occasions. IMO opinion it is kind of a double standard. It is not good to have a pitcher intentionally throw at a batter because that is dangerous but it is OK to teach batters to intentionally get hit with a pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    SO does that make you a good shooter?
    I had a hard time qualifying in Navy boot camp. A Marine instructor in Advanced Infantry Training at Camp Pendleton discovered I was cross eye dominant. I switched to carrying and shooting right handed and qualified expert every time after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links