What are your thoughts on Private Militias?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts on Private Militias? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondered what your thoughts were on Private Militias. Are they crazy? Necessary? Only applied by the National Guard? Als ito be advised I am ...

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on your private militias?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely Necessary

59 72.84%
  • Only viable when run by the state/fed

1 1.23%
  • National Guard only

1 1.23%
  • A bunch of mall ninjas

22 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts on Private Militias?

Just wondered what your thoughts were on Private Militias. Are they crazy? Necessary? Only applied by the National Guard? Als ito be advised I am an NG member still and if I intervened with Cliven Bundy I would be facing a court martial.
    -Linny
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I view most of them the same why I would view most "clubs". Just people with the same view on things hanging out and doing stuff.

Now there are some, that are fringe and are looking for a problems but they are very rare.

Like the rest of humanity----some wackos, some shtf types, some like OWS says guys doing what they like as a group and probably some that see liberty slipping away and are preparing. The ones to watch are the radical right and left-wing types that are little more than violent cowards who think that because they have a few like-minded thugs behind them they can intimidate the rest of society. Gangs calling themselves militia.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

I don't have an issue with citizen solider groups.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I vote 'necessary to the security of a free state'.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Just wondered what your thoughts were on Private Militias. Are they crazy? Necessary? Only applied by the National Guard? Als ito be advised I am an NG member still and if I intervened with Cliven Bundy I would be facing a court martial.
    -Linny
    Some are crazy, some are necessary, all should be and I believe by definition are private.

IMO National Guard is not what the FF had in mind although some would approve I'm sure. Watch Last of the Mohicans, that shows what the militia was in those days.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

The right to associate freely. Absolutely constitutionally protected, I'd say.

Though, "Perfectly valid" isn't a choice on that poll. I wouldn't go so far as to say that organized militias are necessary. At least, not in times of plenty. Get into a SHTF situation, though, and an organized defense of one's community would become vitally important ... and much simpler if organized. Very valuable, then.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

MJK
    Private militias could play an important role if additional defensive forces were required by the state. I also assume they could be called up by the Feds if necessary. The only way their duties can be fulfilled is for them to train during times of peace so they must exist at all times. I refer only to those who are legitimate militias which submit to the rule of law.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I support a free militia but if I were in a militia unit it would be understood I would NOT join with the Feds to further their agenda of tyranny.
    RichB70, Aceoky, virg and 6 others like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    I am with Stanislaskasava "being necessary to the security of a free state". The word free is often overlooked in this phrase. It cuts both ways. The militia secures the state from outside aggressors, but it also ensures individual freedoms from a tyrannical government. Pretty much by definition, this second function cannot be performed by a state-run militia.
    Last edited by ksholder; April 18th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

National Guard? Last time I checked, the tape over their left shirt pocket still said U.S. Army.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Private militias? Not a good idea. State, town, and/or even neighborhood militia membership should be mandatory with certain limited exemptions, for all military-aged males.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    To be honest I'm not sure where I stand on this. The only ones you really hear about are the idiots that want to get on TV and talk about overthrowing the government. I think they are just idiots and should not be tolerated. If there are others that don't have that kind of mentality maybe there is some good in them.
    herpjunkie and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Be my guess a certain rancher in Nevada might think they are necessary.

I think that some are mall ninjas. I think some are disciplined and well-run. I like the idea that they exist, but I wouldn't join one myself.
    BMcPhe44, gatorbait51 and baren like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links