Question for those with ballistic vests

This is a discussion on Question for those with ballistic vests within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking into getting some body armor and am not sure of the set up i want. I pretty much have it all planned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Question for those with ballistic vests

Question for those with ballistic vests

I am looking into getting some body armor and am not sure of the set up i want. I pretty much have it all planned out except for the back plate armor. I am getting a condor plate carrier and ar500 plates. I am getting a curved front plate with a shooters cut. The back plate is what i am not sure on, first should i get a shooters cut or not, second should i go with a curved or flat plate on the back, or does it not really make a difference. I am new to all the armor stuff just figured i should get some while i still could and figured it would be good to have next to the bed if something goes bump in the night and of course for a SHTF scenario. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Take note that AR500 will not stop AP rounds or really high powered stuff past about 30 06 ..

You want to get anti spall layers ... I would say shooters cut front and back imop... The condor is ok just a bit bulky for me and heavy... Note steel armor weight a crap ton and takes a few to thrown on ...

If you just want something to thrown on fast you look a the Palm vest ..Will stop up to a 44 mag ( still hurt like heck though) and has a holster for a light and gun on it .. Throw in on and go ... To me one of the faster to put on vest ..Not as much protection then say a full vest but covers the heart/lungs etc the usally you die very fast if shot here spots .. And you can add plates if you want

Frankly unless your exepecing a hit squard with AK47s to come in the door I would stick with light soft armor easy to get on fast and more comffy just imop

The Palm vest is like 270 bucks not much for SHTF but for bumps in the night I perosnal would go for it over trying to lug on steel armor
    rockinglock32 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I'd duct tape a second trauma plate to my back if I were you. You want to be able to stop a .338 Lapua.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

My buddy has the ar500 plates and condor carrier and i tried it out and it wasn't that hard for me to throw on and the weight disperses pretty evenly, i just like the idea of rifle protection, because you never know who is going to kick down your door.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    My buddy has the ar500 plates and condor carrier and i tried it out and it wasn't that hard for me to throw on and the weight disperses pretty evenly, i just like the idea of rifle protection, because you never know who is going to kick down your door.
    Do get anti spall esp with steel though ....

do note though that level 3 steel wont stop AP rounds or harden rounds .. Might not even stop harden steel core rounds so if they are packing rifles with heavy ammo or heck for that matter a m1 garand your screwed ..Never mind blunt force here ..
    rockinglock32 and Aceoky like this.
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also importan note if you ever start talking or asking quetion like the follow ..Seek help

Gecko45 writes:

hello friends,

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Do get anti spall esp with steel though ....

do note though that level 3 steel wont stop AP rounds or harden rounds .. Might not even stop harden steel core rounds so if they are packing rifles with heavy ammo or heck for that matter a m1 garand your screwed ..Never mind blunt force here ..
    I know, but i have seen it stop SS109 and steel core 308. But my guess is most of the thugs with AKs are buying cheap ammo. Down here a lot of the gangs use AKs and pistols. I would love to see the look on a thugs face if, god forbid, he shoots me with a 9mm and nothing happens. I might look at the Palm vest for out and about in bad areas. Every now and then i need to go down to the ghetto in Miami for work. The plates i am looking at are at AR500armor.com and come with a spall mitigation layer.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    \i just like the idea of rifle protection, because you never know who is going to kick down your door.
    I really doubt you are going to wear that all the time. Trust me, after 8 hours you want nothing more than to get out of body armor. The bad guys are not going to give you time to put it on. So unless you have plans for entering high risk environments, I think it is a bit of overkill.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Geeze . . . sleep in a tank.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I know, but i have seen it stop SS109 and steel core 308. But my guess is most of the thugs with AKs are buying cheap ammo. Down here a lot of the gangs use AKs and pistols. I would love to see the look on a thugs face if, god forbid, he shoots me with a 9mm and nothing happens. I might look at the Palm vest for out and about in bad areas. Every now and then i need to go down to the ghetto in Miami for work. The plates i am looking at are at AR500armor.com and come with a spall mitigation layer.
    You dont wont Palm for out and about .. You want second chance etc esp the new concalble stuff ... Covers more .. Still hot as hell though esp in Florida ... Sweat mesh is a must ..

Also of course you may want to look at groin add on for that vest ..

Be wary of the sides .. Cops in Level 4 cermic armor have been killed by 22lr and shotgun blast as the rounds hit a wall etc and bounch under arm and killed ..

I would only used Palm around the house etc ..Second chance etc if I knew I had no choice but to go into a bad situation ... Palm does not cover the liver etc ..

Level 3 is not rated past ball ammo 308 so note that as I said ..

If the gang bangers used AK then yeah hard is a good idea ..

Do note that getting shot in a vest hurts like holy heck though and you may be knocked out etc and can still be killed or injured by blunt force so remember that ... And of course if you can fired back asap cause they relized that you have armor on they may aim for the head .. I mean after it came out that cops were wearing vest a lot of bad guys started to aim for the head/legs etc ...

Lastly with armor on I am not sure what stance for shooting your used but use the one were you face the bad guy head on .. Some of the styles were pre body armor for cops and made for less proflie to shoot but with armor just open up the armpit etc era which is where you dont want to be hit ..
    rockinglock32 and Aceoky like this.

And yeah if I were you make sure you have time to get to the thing first .. Frankly I rather have a safe room then a vest if a bunch of doped up hombreas with AK are comeing in my front door .. I dont feel like recarting Scarfaces last stand in my living room ...

So harden the doors etc .. But really if you think you have a high chance of guy with AK comeing into your home .. Uh can you move ...

that didnt look like ar500 plate but he never mentions what kind of hard plates they were.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

And yeah if I were you make sure you have time to get to the thing first .. Frankly I rather have a safe room then a vest if a bunch of doped up hombreas with AK are comeing in my front door .. I dont feel like recarting Scarfaces last stand in my living room ...

So harden the doors etc .. But really if you think you have a high chance of guy with AK comeing into your home .. Uh can you move ...
    its a very minimal chance, but 1% is too much for me not to think of the what ifs.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

gecko45 is my mall ninja hero.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links