Bridges of Lincoln County

This is a discussion on Bridges of Lincoln County within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It was a nice day last Sunday so I decided to take the bike out. Been a while since Iíve been able to ride so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Bridges of Lincoln County

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar

It was a nice day last Sunday so I decided to take the bike out. Been a while since Iíve been able to ride so I was looking forward to the day.

There was an article in the local rag about the covered bridges in the area so I thought I might hit those. Oregon has 51 (I think) covered bridges, 4 of them are in Lincoln County. I decided I was going to see each one, ride across on the bike and take a picture of the bike and bridge.

Set out a bit later than I wanted but who cares! Itís the journey not the destination. Ok, it was a bit of the destination! Decided to go to Heceta Head first and get a photo of the lighthouse. This light is one of the most picturesque lighthouses in the nation. Iíve toured the light before so I just took a photo from the highway, then on to the first bridge.
    DSCF2663.JPG

The North Fork Bridge is just outside of Yachats OR and is in the prettiest location of the four I think. The ride up the valley is beautiful! Nice windy road with no traffic.
    DSCF2668.JPG
    DSCF2675.JPG
    Next was the Five Rivers Bridge located about 20 mi outside of Waldport. Hwy 34 is pretty clear too and has some real nice curves so I was able to really work on narrowing up those chicken strips! The bridge was relocated and is off the road, has a little loop through it so you can drive across but it just hooks back into the side road. Figured I would be safe parking the bike in the middle of the road while I walked around and took pictures. I was wrong! LOL
    DSCF2677.JPG

The third bridge was a bit of a hoof, I did the miles in my head and decided to go inland and come back on Hwy 20 where the Chitwood Bridge is located. Hwy 34 from Five Rivers is awesome! Kind of a mini Tail of the Dragon! Great ride along the Alsea River, highly recommend this for all bikers. Chicken strips are pretty much gone! East to West is best way to go IMO. So here is the Chitwood Bridge.
    DSCF2698.JPG

Final bridge is Drift Creek. This bridge was torn down and reassembled in someoneís driveway! They preserved the bridge and it is great shape, kudos to the Swietzís! This was the only one I didnít ride across as they ask you do not.
    DSCF2700.JPG

I hope you enjoyed reading about my little 300 mile excursion. I was a great day, I needed to get in the wind again.

Hey thanks for the photos and sounds like a great ride.
    Aceoky and CWOUSCG like this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a fun day.
    Aceoky and CWOUSCG like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Good stuff!
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    ĒOne loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.Ē
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Can't think of a better way to spend a beautiful Saturday! I love the covered bridges.

When you said, "bike" I thought you meant on a bicycle till I saw the pictures.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I love them kind of rides ,we take very little pictures of our rides but i will have to change that . Very nice pictures

Nothing like the therapy of a good ride .
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I love them kind of rides ,we take very little pictures of our rides but i will have to change that . Very nice pictures
    Please take more pics of your rides, someday when you can't ride you will be glad you did.
    welder516 and CWOUSCG like this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    That lighthouse looks very familiar, is that along highway 101 ? I got some good pics along that highway a few years back on one of our cross country trips.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Really nice day. I bet you slept well. Why were covered bridges ever built? To offer shelter for horse and rider? I may have to use the interwebz for something other than this forum.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Looks like a nice ride. Thanks for sharing the pictures. We only have a couple covered bridges out my way; wish we had more.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nice photos, Clint.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Nice pics, in my area we are down to 2 or 3 covered bridges, until the last 5 years there were more but vandals burned a couple down and the rest were in bad shape and torn down, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    That lighthouse looks very familiar, is that along highway 101 ? I got some good pics along that highway a few years back on one of our cross country trips.
    Yes it is, just north of Florence and south of Newport. The old assistant lightkeepers house is also a B&B.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Really nice day. I bet you slept well. Why were covered bridges ever built? To offer shelter for horse and rider? I may have to use the interwebz for something other than this forum.
    Bridges were covered to protect the structural members from the weather. This is an inside shot of the North Fork Bridge. As you can see there is a lot of exposed joints for the rain to intrude and destroy. I also included the sign at Chitwood explaining the history of that bridge. In that you can see the previous bridges lasted less than 30 years, covered bridges can last more than 50.
    DSCF2674.JPG
    DSCF2690.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    Nice pics, in my area we are down to 2 or 3 covered bridges, until the last 5 years there were more but vandals burned a couple down and the rest were in bad shape and torn down, too bad.
    That sucks! Why on earth would anyone do such a thing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links