Turtle Soup anyone?

This is a discussion on Turtle Soup anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kidding, but his guy was making a bee line for my storage shed this afternoon. Not sure where he came from, nearest pond is at ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By scottync
  • 1 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By welder516
  • 3 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 6 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 2 Post By scottync
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By Sister

Thread: Turtle Soup anyone?

Distinguished Member

Turtle Soup anyone?

Kidding, but his guy was making a bee line for my storage shed this afternoon. Not sure where he came from, nearest pond is at least a mile. Neighbor cut down several acres of timber - may have came from that property. Anybody have any idea how far these guys can travel? Not sure if I should leave him alone or try to find him a pond somewheres.

unnamed.jpg
    welder516, msgt/ret and Betty like this.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure of a concrete mileage, but they'll travel a good ways this time of year looking for a place to dig a nest. Babies will do fine in a vernal pool for the first year, and survivors will work their way to a larger pond.
    scottync likes this.

VIP Member
    Turtles of North Carolina

I did not get a chance to read what kind it is but maybe the pics will help .
    scottync likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Turtles of North Carolina

I did not get a chance to read what kind it is but maybe the pics will help .
    Pretty sure that's a common snapper. Alligator snappers have a much more aggressive scale pattern on their shell - think grip on an XD vs Glock Gen4.
    scottync, welder516 and Betty like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Pretty sure that's a common snapper. Alligator snappers have a much more aggressive scale pattern on their shell - think grip on an XD vs Glock Gen4.
    Yep, common snapper. Little critters have a very foul attitude and snap at anything. Our Dachshund cornered a small one in the yard the other day. She kept barking at its backside and avoided getting bit. Caught it and released it into the ditch out front.
    scottync likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

They axctually make great soup. I prefer to boil for ten minutes to make it easier to split the shell. The tail is decious as are the legs and neck. There is good meat on the inside as well. Cook it like pork and you will be very suprised....... wait... you didnt want recipes? my bad......
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    They axctually make great soup. I prefer to boil for ten minutes to make it easier to split the shell. The tail is decious as are the legs and neck. There is good meat on the inside as well. Cook it like pork and you will be very suprised....... wait... you didnt want recipes? my bad......
    Cook like pork? Ok. I'll try it. I get a few around here every year. I'm too far north for the alligator turtles but I've come up on some monsters in that family (down East).
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Cook like pork? Ok. I'll try it. I get a few around here every year. I'm too far north for the alligator turtles but I've come up on some monsters in that family (down East).
    I havent hunted snappers since I lived in georgia, but we have plenty around here in indiana. I always liked to cook the tails on the grill... might not be the most tender but man it sure is tasty.
    molleur likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    Neighbor came and got him... will put him in his pond (or so he says). Weighed about 25 lbs. and boy did that snapper have an ugly disposition. Went crazy when grabbed at the tail.
    JoJoGunn and welder516 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Neighbor came and got him... will put him in his pond (or so he says). Weighed about 25 lbs. and boy did that snapper have an ugly disposition. Went crazy when grabbed at the tail.
    Safest place to grab one, that neck is long enough that if you grab one on the sides of the shell they will take a chunk out of you.
    Betty likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    I hate those kinds of turtles, they pull baby ducks underwater and eat them. I'm all for somebody eating the snapping turtle.
    welder516 and msgt/ret like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's called nature's food chain.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I hate those kinds of turtles, they pull baby ducks underwater and eat them. I'm all for somebody eating the snapping turtle.
    Well, baby ducks are good. Small like a quail so I mostly have them as horse ovaries..

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Safest place to grab one, that neck is long enough that if you grab one on the sides of the shell they will take a chunk out of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's called nature's food chain.
    When taking a chunk of you, it's the "food chain" alright.

I'd rather staple my finger to the barn door, actually. I'm betting a roused snapper would take more than a chunk. Ooof. Hurts just thinking about it.

Nice to know that grabbing them by the sides of the shell is a no-no. I doubt I'd go near one, but frankly that's the first place I thought would provide "purchase" to move the thing. Perfect spot to get nipped, sounds like. Thanks for the tip.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links